• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Supercharger Vs. Front mount Turbo

With its toungue hanging out and the stock fuel pump maxed out. You can't run that 240 on pump gas. It will have to be 50/50 7 psi is safe on pump fuuel.

That shoulld be good then! What are you doing about the fuel pump? Might want to get in contact wtih Art on what he did. He did an in tank walh pump.

SoCoRX1 said:
i plan to run straight avgas if i can
If you plan on running straight A/V gas, put the highest set of pullies on it you can. For us at sea level that would be 12 lbs boost, 260hp, at around 10,000 Rpm. Art Andre is my father and we are running the sled at 10 lbs boost, on pump fuel 240 hp. For Racing on the lake we throw a gallon or two of 110 octane in it for good measure. The stock fuel pump was replaced with a Nissan car pump. Not sure what the part number is, but the stock pump ran out around 230 240 hp. As of now, running on the lake the only thing that keeps up to the sled has been a Mach Z with a 1100 big bore and N20, and MILLSTREETs S/C Rx-1. Haven't raced a turbo yet. Any stocker or slightly modified sled isn't even close. good luck with your desicion.

aj

im going to have Trey (pwdrnut) at High Altitude boost do the blower for me. I rode with him when my sled was bone stock and have since ridden with him a couple times after. he seems to know his stuff so i am going to let him do it. After all, its only 2 hours from me.

Not sure what he does with a fuel pump. i will be at 10psi 10,000 ft+ altitude. Avgas isnt too hard to get for me so i may as well use it if its available.

not sure if i will get it done by this season because i only have a couple rides left (stupid college) but it will definitely be done for next season.

SoCoRX1 if you want to run pump gas at 10-12 lbs of boost with the sc either install a shim or triple head gaskets. We have 2 sleds setup with triple head gaskets running pump gas with no problem. Oh ya and this is at sea level.

If you're going to be at 10 lbs at 10,000 feet what will you be at when you unload from the truck? At 10,000 feet I don't think I would go with an SC.

Unless you unload at 7000+ ft.

At the maximum rated compressor speed for a Stage-I (150,000) I see about 9lbs, at sustained WOT, at the intercooler, which is about 7lbs at the engine, which is about 190-200hp at 8500ft. Most of my boondocking is between 5000-7000ft where I see 10-11lbs boost, at sustained WOT, at the intercooler. This is more than enough horsepower for boondocking but comes up short for the high speed hill shooting that the larger turbos are capable of. If high speed hill shooting is your primary objective and you ride primarily above 7000ft I would look for a front mount turbo that hits it's highest efficiency at 18 or so pounds of boost. Even after subtracting for altitude you still have enough boost to haul azz up pretty much anything you point at while maintaining the best possible throttle response.

ALTITUDE

Elev --- PSI

0 ------ 14.7
500 --- 14.4
1000 -- 14.2
1500 -- 13.9
2000 -- 13.7
2500 -- 13.4
3000 -- 13.2
3500 -- 12.9
4000 -- 12.7
4500 -- 12.4
5000 -- 12.2
5500 -- 12.0
6000 -- 11.8
6500 -- 11.5
7000 -- 11.3
7500 -- 11.1
8000 -- 10.9
8500 -- 10.7
9000 -- 10.5
9500 -- 10.3
10000 - 10.1

All engines are subject to Relative Air Density even boosted.

Example:

Atmospheric Pressure = 14.7psi + 10psi boost = 24.7
Atmospheric Pressure @ 8500ft feet = 10.7psi + 10psi boost = 20.7psi
Pressure Loss = 24.7-20.7 = 4.0 --- 4/24.7 = 16.1% @ 8,500 feet

As altitude is increased the impeller must increase rpm to maintain target boost pressure. With large displacement / high horsepower engines the impeller may have to spin faster than is efficient attempting to maintain target boost pressure. The result is actually a decrease in hp. Thus, a big boost number does not necessarily equal big horsepower. High flow (CFM) on the other hand does equal big horsepower.

----------
See TY4 thread at the top of the TC/SC forum for reference material:
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=29536
----------

cobaltpilot said:
If you're going to be at 10 lbs at 10,000 feet what will you be at when you unload from the truck? At 10,000 feet I don't think I would go with an SC.

Unless you unload at 7000+ ft.

Unload around 8500-9000. Ride up to about 12. Average riding is a little over 10k though.

Hey guys lets get back on track here as i would also like to know everyones thoughts (Pros/Cons)on which would be better for me as i am in the process of trying to decide which to get for my 04 warrior (got the wife pretty much in on the whole thing now so basically whoever gives me the best deal on the right stuff and it will be a done deal)and i dont want to be working on it or lefting the hood every 10 minutes as stated earlier i want something to trail ride on pump gas and be reasonably reliable and a clean install.I will be riding sea level and dont want to be the king of the hill but close lol even though there are not alot of bigbore machines and basically no turbo/supercharger sleds around as amatter afact i only now of one CPR turbo sled that a guy said that he told him it was a 550hp Vector but i dont belive him now im not saying that its not capable of putting that power but i didnt think it can and even if it where a rx1 that would be quite the sled ,my thoughts on it according to the race i seen it has about 300hp with boost of around 25psi and that would take every bit of it I just read also that it goes too 48 psi is this posssible or is he full of crap someone must know either way it never beat the big bores by much which was not very impressive to me and i dont want to be like that alot of talk and no action if i build this or should i say when i build which will be very soon i want it done yesterday i want it respectable. Now on another back note here is a quote from cpr site,on a turbo they sell which is quite allright in the mean time.
"Turbo Chargers for RX-1/RX Warrior We are currently taking orders on the New Simons CPR Turbo. The Kit will be utilizing a very trick exhaust header configuration. Boost levels will be 7.5 pounds and you will be able to run on pump gas and be very trail reliable. You can expect a real honest 195+ HP on the dyno. Cooling the air intake charge is vital to the longevity, reliability and performance for any engine and that is the primary focus. Price on the kits is $4700 US and we require a $1000 down payment. These kits will be ready for shipment in mid to late November. Race versions will also be available and can be tuned to High 300 Horsepower range. Clutching will also be available and will be a direct bolt in and go solution. "and this is RX1 turbo

Again im off track so lets get back to it i need to know what would be the best all around trail sled plus also be able to take it to a half dozen local drag each year and turn up the turbo or supercharger to run race gas and beat the pants off most untill a bigger guy comes along but be happy a competive.So opinions please and if you have a good deal on what i want feel free to shoot me a pm or call me (709)528-4758 as i want this done as i said yesterday if the deal was right so Lets make a deal.
Thanks Roger

I would be leaning towards the CPR front mount if i were you. From what it sounds like i think you will be most happy with his kit and service for that matter. I have the mcxpress kit because it was out before the CPR's was but his would of been my first choice, he really knows his stuff and has a super clean setup.

I would go with a CPR setup also. Jeff has an excellent kit and I believe that there is a slightly used kit on ebay right now. We have 3 of the CPR kits running out of my shop currently. Good Luck with your decision.

This season I bought an attak, and face the same problem. My fathers got a supercharger, and my brother has a Mach Z full of lots of N2O juice. After looking at all Info that is out there, I am going to be calling jeff at CPR this summer for his turbo kit. The install is harder then the Supercharger, but you have more options with the turbo.

aj

Back