• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Test and tuning at the lake.

welterracer said:
Where do you get the windage plates..
quote]

I've only seen them from Maximum Performance. I wanted to order a set about a month ago but their site said they were sold out for the season. As I recall they are only around $35 - $40 or so. I wish I would have kept the plates from my SRX before selling it. Oh well - something to look forward to for next season.

vice108 said:
welterracer said:
Where do you get the windage plates..
quote]

I've only seen them from Maximum Performance. I wanted to order a set about a month ago but their site said they were sold out for the season. As I recall they are only around $35 - $40 or so. I wish I would have kept the plates from my SRX before selling it. Oh well - something to look forward to for next season.

I started a thread in Ulmers vendor section.
Express your interest for WINDAGE PLATES here
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?p=238183#238183
I'd bet if we get 6-10 people, Allen will make them for us :D

I put a set I had from Maxximum (bought years ago) on and I had the fastest Apex out of 4 (also have 23 T gear, white secondary spring, and SLP wear pads)

yammiman said:
Do those plates increase your clutch temps by much?

They will make your clutches a little warmer. But in general, Yamaha clutches run cool and work great with windage plates. They came standard on the SRX and many have been running them on their RX1s for years.

I put a set I had from Maxximum (bought years ago) on and I had the fastest Apex out of 4 (also have 23 T gear, white secondary spring, and SLP wear pads)[/quote]

Tork thanks for getting the info on the 40 tooth gear for reverse.. byoffcr

Hey Terry no prob, that is why we are all here, to help each other.

Terry, your posts where you are quoting someone dont work out right.
Are you hitting the quote button on the upper right of the post you want to quote? Somehow the {quote="Tork" ] is missing when you quote.

I think you might be doing a cut and paste or something, and /or using the quote button at the top of where you are posting.
Try using the quote button on the post you want to quote. That will do the work for you, nice and tidy, and all you have to do is type your comment above or below. :D

[sorry to be a little off topic with this Ted]

fourload said:
Me and my friend spent 5 hrs yesterday on the Great Sacandaga tuning his RTX,(reverse,1800 mi,96 studs)with a stalker radar gun.The conditions were good with the temps in the low 30s.The track was 1.5 miles long.It was hardpack on the starting line near the beach and mostly ice in the middle where we would wind up the top ends.Hookup was excellent on the starting line.The night before I cleaned Joe's clutches set his offset and locked down his secondary.We also put a new belt on.We then tried to make his suspension settings like mine to eliminate as many variables as possible.(limiter strap.transfer rod,ride heights,track tensions and front carbides).My sled was set up the same as it was in my 134 dreameter post.Sleds also had 1/2 tank of fuel.
First we dragraced two times.The results were the same.I took the holeshot and took him by at least 4 sleds thru the midrange then I would pull him several more to the 1.5 mile cone.My speedo 133 his 125.
Now we break out the radar gun and he shoots and I drive.My GT goes thru at 118.6 and his RTX goes thru at 111.9.After these runs we only tuned his RTX to see if we could get his to run like mine.Here are my notes: 1-stock RTX-111.9,rpm-10600
2-stock RTX with white sec spring @60-113.2,rpm-10700
3-stock RTX with o-p-o primary and white spring @60-112.4,RPM-10900
4-RTX with my clutches ulmer stage2 lightened up slightly with windage plates-116.1,rpm-10800.My GT would pull 10900 with this setup...
5-RTX with my clutches and no windage plates-114.9,Rpms seemed slightly lower than in 4.
6-RTX with my clutches and windage plates back on.I also added my midheight windshield.-117.6.There is no way a big guy can get out of the air with that low bandaid windshield......
7-RTX back to stock ,even the suspension.We also put his 1800 mile worn belt on for fun.-109.6,RPM-10700.Sled sat higher,doolys put back on too.
8-My wifes vector GT with 400mi and 96 studs-103.1,115- dreameter.
I hope this post helps you guys.Looks like I am done this year with the weather heading this way.

fourload,

i want to verify you are running stock 24/38 gearing on your GT correct?...nice speeds...118 is very respectable on the gun..nice job.

I personally still think a 24 stock gear will run higher top end on ice then 23 in long hauls...but i would like to hear from anyone who has proven the 23 can run big top end on ice...

i think the 23 top must be close to running out of gear when you hit around 118 on the gun....

Dan

fourload, great report there!

For those looking at Maxx Performance windage plates, Maxximum Performance is out of stock and they will actually be closing their doors on March 18. I have contacted them and will be ordering some from the same vendor Maxximum Performance got them from. I am also looking at carrying some of the other Maxximum Performance products as well.

Also a 40 tooth bottom reverse gear comes standard on Yamaha Mountain sleds ordered with reverse. The 24/40 gearing combination is slightly lower (1.667) ratio than what 23/38 is (1.652).

machzed said:
fourload,

i want to verify you are running stock 24/38 gearing on your GT correct?...nice speeds...118 is very respectable on the gun..nice job.

I personally still think a 24 stock gear will run higher top end on ice then 23 in long hauls...but i would like to hear from anyone who has proven the 23 can run big top end on ice...

i think the 23 top must be close to running out of gear when you hit around 118 on the gun....

Dan

Dan - I dont know if you were with us yet or not when we got this info from Viper34. He is in a position to know the answer:

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=25212&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

machzed, Yes my gears were stock 24/38.Alot of mach z's don't run those numbers around here,however the well tuned ones are faster.I have seen some run thru the gun at 123+mph.

fourload said:
Me and my friend spent 5 hrs yesterday on the Great Sacandaga tuning his RTX,(reverse,1800 mi,96 studs)with a stalker radar gun.The conditions were good with the temps in the low 30s.The track was 1.5 miles long.It was hardpack on the starting line near the beach and mostly ice in the middle where we would wind up the top ends.Hookup was excellent on the starting line.The night before I cleaned Joe's clutches set his offset and locked down his secondary.We also put a new belt on.We then tried to make his suspension settings like mine to eliminate as many variables as possible.(limiter strap.transfer rod,ride heights,track tensions and front carbides).My sled was set up the same as it was in my 134 dreameter post.Sleds also had 1/2 tank of fuel.
First we dragraced two times.The results were the same.I took the holeshot and took him by at least 4 sleds thru the midrange then I would pull him several more to the 1.5 mile cone.My speedo 133 his 125.
Now we break out the radar gun and he shoots and I drive.My GT goes thru at 118.6 and his RTX goes thru at 111.9.After these runs we only tuned his RTX to see if we could get his to run like mine.Here are my notes: 1-stock RTX-111.9,rpm-10600
2-stock RTX with white sec spring @60-113.2,rpm-10700
3-stock RTX with o-p-o primary and white spring @60-112.4,RPM-10900
4-RTX with my clutches ulmer stage2 lightened up slightly with windage plates-116.1,rpm-10800.My GT would pull 10900 with this setup...
5-RTX with my clutches and no windage plates-114.9,Rpms seemed slightly lower than in 4.
6-RTX with my clutches and windage plates back on.I also added my midheight windshield.-117.6.There is no way a big guy can get out of the air with that low bandaid windshield......
7-RTX back to stock ,even the suspension.We also put his 1800 mile worn belt on for fun.-109.6,RPM-10700.Sled sat higher,doolys put back on too.
8-My wifes vector GT with 400mi and 96 studs-103.1,115- dreameter.
I hope this post helps you guys.Looks like I am done this year with the weather heading this way.

Awsome post Fourload. I could read 100 of these a day. Keep them coming.

I agree - this is great stuff - it would be such a good time to get a bunch of guys and sleds together on a lake somewhere and just test and tune all day long! - race until the sun went down - then go have some cold ones!

Back