• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

test rode a viper today

gmcman2012

Veteran
I got to ride both the xtx and the ltx se 141 and 137 i love this sled i tired Polaris and ski doo and was not happy and i like Polaris i got to ride the viper hard and fast and it was rough it eat up everything 10 times better then my apex xtx the only thing i wish it had was power steering. i could not get any ski lift at all both times i rode them it handled AWESOME!!!!! i will be snow checking one i all so got to talk with woody and he thinks there will be a excel header coming out for it and i think he said a mx supercharger. now to compare this sled to the others i tried ski doo the 800 e tech renegade it felt twitchy and a lot of ski lift i did not like it at all. the ski doo 1200 gsx im not a fan of ski doo take off it just sucks sorry ski doo guys it was better but still had ski lift. Polaris pro r 800 this all so had ski lift great power. Handled good. second was a Polaris assault this was fun to ride but not a trail sled it pushed in the corners i know its a off trail sled. all in all i went in with a open mind and i like the new viper and i think Yamaha has taken a step in the right step for know. :yam:

wow only one person has anything to say. well for all the people out there talking bad about this new sled and talking about what parts are form yam or ac they need to stop and start looking at the new sleds not pic's all so talk to your dealers they know more then they are saying it has more yamaha then people think!!!! just my 2 cents ....

I road them yesterday and wasn't really impressed. They look sweet and road good. I hope the fit and finish improves for the production models and the motor felt more like the Suzuki 1100 more than the nytro. Seems like the nytros I've ridden have more Beens. It was a nice sled but not as great as I was thinking it was gonna be. I did like the short track version better.

De250r said:
I road them yesterday and wasn't really impressed. They look sweet and road good. I hope the fit and finish improves for the production models and the motor felt more like the Suzuki 1100 more than the nytro. Seems like the nytros I've ridden have more Beens. It was a nice sled but not as great as I was thinking it was gonna be. I did like the short track version better.

I really liked the machine. Yamaha said these sleds need to remapped and were down on power for the demo. I thought they were best 4-stroke package there IMO.

Rode the new Vipers in Duluth MN on Friday. Rode it, loved it, snow checked it today! Coming from Arctic Cat I'm getting the best of both worlds in my book. The Techs were very open to suggestions and i think they are going to bring back some very usefull info from the test riders.

I went with a Viper LTX SE in blue n white over a 2012 XRS 800 Etec that I wanted for so long n guy gave me a damn good deal. LTX SE 11,780.45 OTD which is a very good deal

I rode the 129" & 144" and thought the handling was awesome. No need for EPS as they steer effortlessly and precisely. However the power was very disappointing compared to my Apex. If they offer something with over 150 hp in that chassis I will be interested.

on the way to the sno-deo I rode my buddies new cat xf1100 and I can tell you that the new vipers that I rode there have way more snort than a cat 11 non turbo. Maybe the one you rode was running on two.

Am i missing something im pretty sure yam released a viper with a nytro motor not the four cylinder apex motor lets compare apples to apples ITS NOT GOING TO HAVE THE POWER OF A APEX DUH!!!!!!!!!! its not going to be more powerful then a nytro that's what it is just in a cat chassis.

For the guys that are disappointed with the power...wait until the mods are out...the Nytro motor with a header, intake mods and proper fuel mapping will easily bring the power up to 150+

shaddow44 said:
For the guys that are disappointed with the power...wait until the mods are out...the Nytro motor with a header, intake mods and proper fuel mapping will easily bring the power up to 150+
UMM.. how is it that people always sluff off having to modify their damned sled from new as just an accepted thing? ei: 'Well power is down and it darts like mad, but nothing $1000.00 in fueling / intake / exhaust and a set of custom skiis can't fix.' Why is this accepted? If the stock skiis are crap, why do they make them? If it's capable of 150 horse, why aren't they from the factory? Why should a guy have to spend thousands on aftermarket parts to make a sled good? This should not be accepted as an industry standard.

i never head someone say the nytro motor was low on power. The nytro will run with an Apex up until 60-70 and the viper be lighter then the Nytro thus making it lil quicker

Duey782 said:
shaddow44 said:
UMM.. how is it that people always sluff off having to modify their damned sled from new as just an accepted thing? ei: 'Well power is down and it darts like mad, but nothing $1000.00 in fueling / intake / exhaust and a set of custom skiis can't fix.' Why is this accepted? If the stock skiis are crap, why do they make them? If it's capable of 150 horse, why aren't they from the factory? Why should a guy have to spend thousands on aftermarket parts to make a sled good? This should not be accepted as an industry standard.

The fact is it's a 135hp sled....not a 150 hp sled. I simply said if you want it to be a 150 hp sled that a header, intake a fuel controller will get it there.

Sooo many guys on here already whining about this sled...some about the power, some about the handling and so on....and NOBODY has put any REAL miles on one. Every sled requires set up. If people want a 150 hp sled, the Viper isn't for them...but modding it is the only option until they make something in the 150 hp range.....Like I said...I just posted an option...not saying this sled requires it.

If you want a groomed trail sled that can run on the lake go with an Apex. But don't expect the Apex to keep up when the going gets rough,That is left for the Nytro and even better the Viper

Back