• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

The fix for 2006 clutches is.......

Yeah it is good ol Bob @ Rec Plus. At first the fix was a .007 steel shim and he would NOT do that fix unless you had 100+ miles on it. With these O rings, I'm not sure if he will do it with 0 miles or not.

Tork, you were right about an O-ring kit to fix the clutch noise for 2006. I was suspicious too when I talk to the parts guy at my dealer. They did receive a complete clutch kit for my sled and also the famous O-ring kit. The complete kit sent by Yamaha was only if needed but the mechanic said that the fix for 2006 is only the added O-rings. Apparently you just bring your sled for your first servicing and mention about the clutch noise and your dealer should call the manufacture to get a kit and install it free of charge.

And by the way Tork, like I mentionned on my post "I think" because I was not sure also why Yamaha will go with an expensive fix when we know that they can always find something cheap and good at the same time. So now everyone knows what is the fix for 2006 and for ours also.

:4STroke:

Thanks Vectory for the confirmation. Your post from 2 weeks ago was very good in that Yamaha did indeed have a fix. Believe me, I would have used the words "I think" as well but my dealer was certain, and I have known him for 15 years. He is the type of guy where if he does not know, you have to bug the crap out of him to get an opinion. :D

All that any of us can do is post the best that we got at that particular time and your efforts are greatly appreciated. ;)!

Anyway it has been a huge topic. And Yamaha has admitted a problem exists and is going to fix them. Bravo! :4STroke:

Now, just a prediction on my part so dont get all upset. I predict that new O rings will be needed before 3K miles are up as the buttons will still wear and the o rings will eventually compress.
Not a big deal as that is a good mileage to have your clutches looked at anyway, unless you do it yourself.

Tork, I didn't realize Bob at Rec Plus is your guy. He is my dealer too. I am supposed to bring in the Vector this weekend to have him adjust the TORS, said he wanted to adjust it on the carbs via multi meter check. I'm going to try that before I end up bypassing it. I'll hit him up for the o-ring fix as well while I'm at it. He usually takes pretty good care of me. I've been working with him for 12 years now. Won't even give Nielsens the pleasure of my business. Trying to keep the small guy alive. ;)!

Well Tork, I support you on that one. Like you said, clutch part will definitely wear out and those O-ring will probably compress. But those O-ring will be cheap and normal wear on a clutch its all brand sled the same problem. Now we just have to wait and see how long it will last. When I say wait, it is when I will reply to this post and let you know to all of you how many miles I did with my Vector before the noise came back. And if it is good for 3,000 miles, I will be happy and will not complaint on this issue anymore.

FYI,

I have a 05 RS Venture and I had my clutch shimmed at 500 miles. I now have a little over 2000 miles on it and the rattle has not come back yet. When the rattle does come back I will use the new O ring fix or shim it again, because it does sound nice without the rattle.

P.S. the Eastern U.P. of MI is getting nailed with a nice storm right now. We needed the fresh snow!!!

I was just thinking the same thing. Whats the part # ? More than likely
my dealer will not know what I am talking abought when I Walk in and
ask him abought this fix. With the #, he can look it up for himself. I am
glad to hear that yamaha recognized the problem. When you guys find out let us know. Hey Tork could you give me the phone # of your dealer I think he is sort of close to where I am at but can't find his phone # Thanks.

milljk, so whereabouts you from, I am from Antioch, and Tork is from Winthrop Harbor. We'll all have to hook up one of these days, hell let's get Bob to take us on a trip kind of a customer appreciation trip eh.

Thumper, I'm from Spring Grove not far off from you just off Wilmot Rd. Haven't ridden the trails around home yet, been up in Wi/Up several times and went just when we got that 10" last time. Hoping for the snow they say we are supposed to get going into this weekend. Maybe we could hook up for a ride. You must ride "Nascar Alley", aka the Chain huh? I haven't yet because of all the Freeze/Thawing crap going on. I know from past experience, Yamaha's can't swim but thats another story. I'll bug Bob about the customer appreciation ride, I think he said he was having one in February up in Wi some where.

Milljk, I am leaving this little snow thing we have coming in Fri. night and going to the UP, Munising at 5 am in the morning, short trip coming back Sun. night. Actually I have only ridden the chain once, lake riding to me is like watching paint dry after the first mile, I love the flowing forest roads of the UP. I think Bobs trip is in Mercer, he got back yesterday from there and said it was absolutely beautiful with the new snow on Tue. Picked up the ladies new Vector today from him, to bad it is going to sit in the garage this weekend as she can't go until the 5th of Feb. Hopefully the snow here will last and we can get a few miles in locally when I get back. I go to KCs Cabin alot on Tues. nights for the buy on get one deal that sounds like it is just up the street from you. Well I gotta start packing, talk to ya when I get back. Have a great time this weekend on the locals. Brian

got the new parts in my clutch today. Set my primary on the counter and 20 minutes later it was done. It is new buttons and the o ring on one side of the three pairs. This was on my way home from St Paul MN which took me 14 hours due to the blizzard and flights cancelled. Sorry I did not get the part numbers. Me bad. Bob was doing a multiple sled and clothing sale and I was exhausted.

Tork, not sure if you called back on Friday or not, but I ended up out of the shop for a while. Then last night after the 50-55 MPH winds that went through I spent most of today cleaning up branches! I will try to get in touch with you again on Monday!

Allen

Back