• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

The Shocking Truth About Stock Nytro's In the Steep And Deep

mtdream said:
Sorry, a 136 out west..

especially especially places like Cooke...well, it will limit you to sticking on or near trails...

You will struggle severely moving into deep pow....there just isnt the footprint to make it truly enjoyable...But then again, March is a good time, and you could get some good hero snow depending...Recent years, snow has been deepest in April, and sketchy in March...

But then again, just being out west is fun, and will be fun to experience new things...

I'm sorry But I ride only back country in AK and I would drop down to a 136 before I went any bigger than my 144. I ride every weekend with people on 121-174s. 121's are funner to watch and funner to ride but if you want to be lazy and have the sled do the work then 153 or bigger will probably work better. I have loved 121's in the past liked 144's but with the heavier sled I decided the 144 was the best choice. I hated the 153 it was too long for me. When it comes down to it the track length will be argued for ever and there is no right answer. But it most snow you will have a blast with a 136 its just going to take some work thats what makes the shorty's fun!

rlcofmn said:
mtdream said:
Sorry, a 136 out west..

especially especially places like Cooke...well, it will limit you to sticking on or near trails...

You will struggle severely moving into deep pow....there just isnt the footprint to make it truly enjoyable...But then again, March is a good time, and you could get some good hero snow depending...Recent years, snow has been deepest in April, and sketchy in March...

But then again, just being out west is fun, and will be fun to experience new things...

I'm sorry But I ride only back country in AK and I would drop down to a 136 before I went any bigger than my 144. I ride every weekend with people on 121-174s. 121's are funner to watch and funner to ride but if you want to be lazy and have the sled do the work then 153 or bigger will probably work better. I have loved 121's in the past liked 144's but with the heavier sled I decided the 144 was the best choice. I hated the 153 it was too long for me. When it comes down to it the track length will be argued for ever and there is no right answer. But it most snow you will have a blast with a 136 its just going to take some work thats what makes the shorty's fun!

Never tried a short track in the mountains. I guess I did back with the 84 Phazer's I had growing up. It was fun on the flats but didn't do so well climbing. They would be a lot easier handling around the trees. As far as your comment about being being lazy with a longer track I've heard before. Last week the guy that let me right his M8 after I got done riding I told him he should turbo it. He said the same thing about being lazy but this was with a turbo vs track that you mentioned. I guess everyone that rides a new sled is lazy because they are much better, more power, better handling and faster than older sleds. I don't think it's about be lazy it's more about ones preference and ride style.

croc79 said:
rlcofmn said:
mtdream said:
Sorry, a 136 out west..

Never tried a short track in the mountains. I guess I did back with the 84 Phazer's I had growing up. It was fun on the flats but didn't do so well climbing. They would be a lot easier handling around the trees. As far as your comment about being being lazy with a longer track I've heard before. Last week the guy that let me right his M8 after I got done riding I told him he should turbo it. He said the same thing about being lazy but this was with a turbo vs track that you mentioned. I guess everyone that rides a new sled is lazy because they are much better, more power, better handling and faster than older sleds. I don't think it's about be lazy it's more about ones preference and ride style.

Im sorry I made it come off as a bad way, what I was meaning is that with a shorter/less powerfull sled you have to work harder to make it go the places the longer/more powerfull sleds go. short tracks/long tracks both have there advantages I Like a shorter one, alot like longer ones. My point is that a guy that rallys his shorty can go most places the longer ones go unless your looking for all out highmarking. Its all about riding style.

RL,

and yoru how old and weigh how much?

Keeping in mind, the average person on here is probably north of 35....and probably not within their target Body Mass Index....

The more likely thing the average sledder has to worry about is a heart attack not which energy drink decal to put on their sled....

Which, is why I wrote what I wrote...

Especially considering the person who is seeking the input (whom I wrote to) is a flatlander, coming out west, who is likely not as accustomed to techniques necessary to get them from point a to point b...

However, I person who is a backcountry rider, in fit condition, who rides multiple times a weekend, and averages 30- 50 rides a year, is a COMPLETELY difference rider, and one who is making choices for a different reason that our friends who come from vertically landscape challenged locations....

:)

mtdream said:
RL,

Keeping in mind, the average person on here is probably north of 35....and probably not within their target Body Mass Index....

The more likely thing the average sledder has to worry about is a heart attack not which energy drink decal to put on their sled....

Especially considering the person who is seeking the input (whom I wrote to) is a flatlander, coming out west, who is likely not as accustomed to techniques necessary to get them from point a to point b...

However, I person who is a backcountry rider, in fit condition, who rides multiple times a weekend, and averages 30- 50 rides a year, is a COMPLETELY difference rider, and one who is making choices for a different reason that our friends who come from vertically landscape challenged locations....

Actually I am a backcountry rider and I am accustomed to the techniques necessary to get from point a to point b. It is always assumed that someone that comes from a flatland area only rides trails and is a fish out of water in the mountains. This is probably true in a lot of cases but not all.

You are right if we happen to get a huge dump of snow out there our movement might be limited but, that hasn't happened to us yet. We've made out just fine on all our trips.

PS I wasn't seeking any input I was just commenting that I was becoming worried the Nytro I just bought might not be able to do what my Rev could after reading this thread.

revster said:
Actually I am a backcountry rider and I am accustomed to the techniques necessary to get from point a to point b. It is always assumed that someone that comes from a flatland area only rides trails and is a fish out of water in the mountains. This is probably true in a lot of cases but not all.
Ditch bangin, drift bustin, most people have little clue about the deep powder hidden in the flats. Every 6" of snow can equal 4 ft deep drifts if the wind is right. Man it is awesome when 20 ft wide ditches fill in flat. They are normally 6 ft deep!!! Nothing like holding your sled pinned as you slow down to almost a stand still and have to climb out in order to not get stuck!!

Man, those were the days.

mtdream said:
RL,

Ha ha Im 25 6' 180lbs

My point was that it can be done with a 136 even a 121 and it can be alot of fun, But to agree with you it could also be misserable for allot of riders.

If it wasnt for the $1000 it would cost me I would love to try a 136x2 on my MTX, but I think that it would not be the best choice for half the winter. I know if I did get one I would not shorten my tunnel any more and would keep the 144x2.5 set up.

Right now Im still working on tuning everything and I dont have the track speed to ride it like a shorty but dont have enough track to ride it like a longer track so Im kinda stuck in the middle right now. Once I get the clutches done right it should be allot better.

ruffryder said:
revster said:
Ditch bangin, drift bustin, most people have little clue about the deep powder hidden in the flats. Every 6" of snow can equal 4 ft deep drifts if the wind is right. Man it is awesome when 20 ft wide ditches fill in flat. They are normally 6 ft deep!!! Nothing like holding your sled pinned as you slow down to almost a stand still and have to climb out in order to not get stuck!!

You know it's deep and bottomless when you get stuck continuously going downhill. Great memories of early season riding in the Coast Mountains of BC.

ruffryder said:
revster said:

I see you're from Fall City, WA. Were do you ride? I live in La Center ride Mt St Helens mainly.

croc79 said:
I see you're from Fall City, WA. Were do you ride? I live in La Center ride Mt St Helens mainly.

I-90 area, Gold Creek mainly. and Mt. Baker when the weather is good. I have been wanting to go to Mt. St. Helens for a couple of years... but the weather and timing never seem to work out.

ruffryder said:
croc79 said:

I-90 area, Gold Creek mainly. and Mt. Baker when the weather is good. I have been wanting to go to Mt. St. Helens for a couple of years... but the weather and timing never seem to work out.

I'm going tomorrow. If you can make it down you're welcome to come. It got a lot of snow last week.

Went riding Mt St Helens for the last time this season. It was great. Last night I stayed up working on my sled till 1:30. I had to install the new track, drivers, west coast A arms and 19 tooth gear. I was excited to try out all the new upgrades. After the day was over I decided these upgrade were well worth the price. Every upgrade was needed. The west coast A-arms is a most. Before my sled was hard to turn and now it turn sharper and easier. My old front suspension was shot. The bottom ball joint had to much play. No-slip drivers are a must on boosted sled. OEM drivers are junk. Track was awesome. Another must is 19 tooth gear ($50) this will make you sled move.
There was a significant change in performance with these upgrade. I think the best was the 19 tooth gear vs stock 20 tooth. If you want to do something to your sled to increase performance do this. $50 is it-maybe a little more with shipping. I can't wait to install one on my stock nytro. I think it will help it climb also with a 162 CE.
It was hard to keep my boosted nytro front end on the ground. I let my friend ride it and he could believe how easy it was to climb. He was riding a poo 700. I rode his sled, it would climb any hill we were on but for some hills I had to use full throttle the whole way.
I was very pleased with my purchases. Once again boost is the way to go.

Back