• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

The Shocking Truth About Stock Nytro's In the Steep And Deep

pwa said:
croc79 said:
The Nytro is a good mtn sled but not a great one. Over weight 600! I love the nytro's but I'm not blind to the fact that it's not a great mtn sled but just a good one. However, I believe no other sled will out last the yam 4 stroke before needing the engine rebuilt or other major work done, even boosted sleds. That's why I bought mine. Only boosted M8's can keep up with mine, of course it come with a price.

What kind of conditions and what kind of country are you using you're Nytro? Where I live and drive snowmobile there is right now more than 2 yards of cold powder with layers of wet snow. There is threes all over and real back country riding with more less no trail riding. In this env. you must be a hell of a driver to keep up with a M7 on youre Boosted Nytro.

In everything else I agree with you.

Just gotta set em up right! Ask anybody that knows us how well Nikoli and I can hang with any other stock sleds in the tree's and areas besides all out High marking with our N/A Nytros! I rode this weekend with sleds from all makes from Stock to full mod turbo's and we rode every kind of riding possible from trees to climbing to jumping to water skipping and besides from the Insane climbs the turbo 174 poo was doing I can hang with all of them. Yes My sled is far from stock but with a $1500 worth of mods to a stocker it could be 90-95% what mine is and you get to build it to the way you want not just some generic mountain set up. And besides all you get a Yami 4-stroke engine!

croc79 said:
pwa said:
croc79 said:
The Nytro is a good mtn sled but not a great one. Over weight 600! I love the nytro's but I'm not blind to the fact that it's not a great mtn sled but just a good one. However, I believe no other sled will out last the yam 4 stroke before needing the engine rebuilt or other major work done, even boosted sleds. That's why I bought mine. Only boosted M8's can keep up with mine, of course it come with a price.

What kind of conditions and what kind of country are you using youre Nytro? Where I live and drive snowmobile there is right now more than 2 yards of cold powder with layers of wet snow. There is threes all over and real back country riding with more less no trail riding. In this env. you must be a hell of a driver to keep up with a M7 on youre Boosted Nytro.

In everything else I agree with you.

I ride Northwest (WA, UT, MT, ID, WY and OR). Most on Mt St Helens. Snow conditions change all the time so it hard to say. I enjoy anything but trail riding. Here's a youtube video on Helens. It was cloudy so you can't see the top, but on a clear day it's awesome. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v_9YzP6Ig8 The low light made it hard to see the terrain.

I looking like nice riding but in that condition you would make it with a short track? Kind of hard snow with traction it looks like. I will say that in the snow condition here right now my CF8 is useless more or less.

It is so deep snow and I dont have neither the trac or lenght to make it. Climbing is out of the question. Just have to send out the M's, Summits and the RMK's to make a trac for me. It is sick. Some days my wishes is for a M. But I know in a couple of weeks mine is more fun!

I see what you say about the low light, I hate when it is like that. And last but not least, you're Nytro looking kind of nice.

This thread has cause me to re-evaulate the reason I bought my 2008 Nytro. Prior to the Nytro, I rode a 2002 Mountain Max. After tearing a rotator cup, I had trouble pulling the start cord. So besides the smelly clothes after riding that was the determining factor.

I ride with one other Nytro, 2 Cats and 1 RMK. The guys who own the Cats each have a back up sled which are Cats. Between these two guys and the four sleds, over the last three seasons, they have managed to take between 25 & 30 A-arms( 8 so far this season). Sometimes it's both upper & lower along with the shocks. They had standing appointment at the Cat dealer every Tuesday morning. Every time they hit a rock of stump it would cost them $600 until the disposable income decreased and they started wrenching for themselves. The RMK has lost 2 A-arms and Nytro have never replaced any nor have they been towed out.

Riding the Nytro in the steep and deep has been frustrating and at times embarassing, when getting stuck more often than the Cats. The bungies were called Yamaha Pullers.

Thus, after spending much time reading TY, I decided to make some modifications. I took Phil's lead and made some changes to the primary & secondary clutching. These were made at $0. I now have a Timbersled Mountaion Tamer rear suspension and a Camoplast CE 156x15x2.5 track. This cost a little over $2,000.

I now ride with the Cats and it's a WOW for only $2,000. Each Cat guy must have ten times that invested. Oh yeah, occasionally, one of them would have both sleds down.

It's a "no brainer", I'm keeping my Nytro.

Thanks guys for all of your advice.

I love my yamaha for the reliability of the motor, but Nytrolou, I have been thru 3 front ends and 1 left hand side bulkhead, much like the the cats you ride with. If you want to talk spendy, talk yamaha parts.

My bitch is that yamahas mnt sled are just their trail sleds with a streched out track. It is sad when we have to spend $2000+ on a new sled just to get to 3/4 of what the 3 other manufacturers start with.

Stock vs stock in the mtns, yamaha is in 10th place. Motor reliability 1st place by a long shot in the 800cc and over.

When I watch a 2009 600cc polaris 144" sled with a 280lb rider out climb a 2010 162" nytro with a 180lb rider I am embarased to be promoting the yamaha name. My 04 rx TON with a few mods and not on the button beats the 2010 nytros. Sad you can buy an rx1 for $3000 or less, spend another $3k on mod and crush a highly advanced stock 2010 nytro costing $15,000. Why buy new when used will do?
I would bet that yamaha doesnt read anything on this site cause if they did I would bet that they would be #1 in the industry.
My brothers 2010 nytro with the 180 hp turbo is a GREAT sled in the trees, mtns and on the trail, but to spend $5000 on the turbo and forgo all warranty on your new ride is total crap. Yamaha needs to wake up and realise that mtn riding and trail riding are totally different and require completely different equipment and set up.

I belive that correctly done and set up from the factory the price, quallity and performance of a new sled would move yamaha from 10th place in the mtn industry to # 1 or 2. No reason a highly advanced company should be using old technology, ideas and EXCUSES.

NytroLou said:
This thread has cause me to re-evaulate the reason I bought my 2008 Nytro. Prior to the Nytro, I rode a 2002 Mountain Max. After tearing a rotator cup, I had trouble pulling the start cord. So besides the smelly clothes after riding that was the determining factor.

I ride with one other Nytro, 2 Cats and 1 RMK. The guys who own the Cats each have a back up sled which are Cats. Between these two guys and the four sleds, over the last three seasons, they have managed to take between 25 & 30 A-arms( 8 so far this season). Sometimes it's both upper & lower along with the shocks. They had standing appointment at the Cat dealer every Tuesday morning. Every time they hit a rock of stump it would cost them $600 until the disposable income decreased and they started wrenching for themselves. The RMK has lost 2 A-arms and Nytro have never replaced any nor have they been towed out.

Riding the Nytro in the steep and deep has been frustrating and at times embarassing, when getting stuck more often than the Cats. The bungies were called Yamaha Pullers.

Thus, after spending much time reading TY, I decided to make some modifications. I took Phil's lead and made some changes to the primary & secondary clutching. These were made at $0. I now have a Timbersled Mountaion Tamer rear suspension and a Camoplast CE 156x15x2.5 track. This cost a little over $2,000.

I now ride with the Cats and it's a WOW for only $2,000. Each Cat guy must have ten times that invested. Oh yeah, occasionally, one of them would have both sleds down.

It's a "no brainer", I'm keeping my Nytro.

Thanks guys for all of your advice.

I dont know what you are talking about. I ride with lots of Cats and I have a Cat. I have seen Cats go up trees and I have seen Yammies hit rocks and the results is quite similar. New A-arms.

My point is that my Cat has not cost me the money you talking about, I have no replacement sled and yes I have seen Yammies with broken drive cranks (by hit of a rock), broken A-arms in trees and rocks. But then again I have seen that on Cats, Poo's and Doo's to.

I'm with the guy above, Yammie MTX is the worst MTX out of the box. Not totally bad, just not in the class with Cats and Poo's... not even with the Doo.

But the topic is that the guy here didnt do his homework, he should have bought a M8 or an RMK 800 or maybe even a Summit 800.

So if you like the feel of a Yamaha and you need a 4-stroke below you and you still want to ride off pist you have two choices an Apex or a Nytro. Do you like ride forward you get a Nytro otherwise you get an Apex. Nothing less or nothing more. Nope you dont get the perfect sled but you will not get that at the other dealers to. But if you want a sled better and more of a MTX sled and dont give a #*$&@ about 2-stroke or 4 stroke and you want the best MTX out of the box you dont look at Yamaha. Simple as that.

pwa said:
philsummers21 said:
60 shot of nitrous and just smile and wave at all them 800s :nos

;) so what does the nitrous do about the handling and the appearance in deep snow? It's not all about weight, power and long track. ;) LaLaLa

I have no problems whatsoever in the deep snow. Have yet to ride another sled i like better for handling in the DEEP. Now if were talking about the 5mile trail ride into the Backcountry yah i hate the nytro. but i hate the trails so not a big deal for me.

philsummers21 said:
pwa said:
philsummers21 said:
60 shot of nitrous and just smile and wave at all them 800s :nos

;) so what does the nitrous do about the handling and the appearance in deep snow? It's not all about weight, power and long track. ;) LaLaLa

I have no problems whatsoever in the deep snow. Have yet to ride another sled i like better for handling in the DEEP. Now if were talking about the 5mile trail ride into the Backcountry yah i hate the nytro. but i hate the trails so not a big deal for me.

:) Good answer, I luve backcountry and making new trails. Maybe therefor they making different machines :)

Totally agree with Nalgene's Post!! I bought mine in 08 knowing I was going to boost it though after a season and wanted the reliability factor and new I was going to spend big $$..

The first season it was a joke in the deep, it couldnt climb its way out of a wet paper bag.. I ride revvy and other mnts with tons of powder and i dug and dug.. Changed the track, clutching, shocks, steeering. rear shocks, then added 50 hp shot of nitrous , then i could keep up with my budds!!

But like i said boost was coming and thats why i went this route, ive totally reworked the sled, front end, skid, shocks tunnel, hacked lots of weight off etc etc 300 hp now 2 seasons boosted gas and go and smile everytime i pull the flipper..

Im looking for 2nd Mtn sled and it will have to be an XP or cat etc cant beat them out of the box

Riding with a 2010 right now and it should be white with a chrome handle. It's a junk wagon...... A 600 rental summit could eat it on the hills. Not impressed at all!!!! Waste of money. Any 2 stroke 600 or 700 set up would waste it with same track on.

curt79 said:
Riding with a 2010 right now and it should be white with a chrome handle. It's a junk wagon...... A 600 rental summit could eat it on the hills. Not impressed at all!!!! Waste of money. Any 2 stroke 600 or 700 set up would waste it with same track on.

I wouldn't say waste of money, its a 4 stroke and in being that it has certain advantages and disadvantages.
Why bitch about it (esp on a Yamaha forum)... If you didn't make an informed decision before you bought it thats your problem...

Bought my Nytro with the intention to turbo it from day one.
If I was going stock I'd be on an XP.
That being said, a properly set up turbo'd Yamaha will probably still out last a stock 2 stroke.

My 08 Nytro with mtn.tamer and a new track is out climbing my 2 buddies 08 M8, they cant beat me in a lake run either.

But out of the box, hmmm

ntm

philsummers21 said:
Cut off the back half of your running boards and really be impressed ntm_08. Or get a new tunnel.

really? That big of a difference? Has there been any posts with this info? I need to do some digging...

Thanks.

Back