• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thermostat

PMaine

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Venture, SX Viper, Nytro RTX
I have been having overheating issues all season. The light comes on a lot. I've re-wired the cooling fan so that it's always on. This has only delayed the light not eliminated it. I have ridden with many sleds and no one else is having overheat issues. I've been riding my 2002 Yamaha Viper when going out with friends because it doesn't overheat.

I've ordered a temp gauge, hood vent, and water wetter. I have also drained the coolant and will replace with a proper mix. I have the console vent already installed.

My question is, I have the thermostat housing removed so that I can install my temp probe for the gauge. Has anyone removed the thermostat and if so does it help? Any running issues or anything else?

Thanks

I had the same problem with my nytro at the beginning of last season so installed a temp gauge and noticed on hard packed icy trails or frozen snow packed road running from trail to trail the temp goes up quick, my midway through last season I ordered the mtx nytro rear cooler and my over heat light has not came on since.

The temp still goes up quick when I’m riding icy or hard packed roads but as soon as I touch the side of the trail or ride the banks on the road for a sort distance with my track I see the temp gauge go back to 160-165. Hottest temp I’ve seen with the added rear cooler is 185.

I’ve also put vents on but they don’t do much to lower the temp, rear cooler is the answer.

Thank you for the reply. I assume you are running the thermostat then?

You didn't mention it but did you change the thermostat?

I had the same problem with my nytro at the beginning of last season so installed a temp gauge and noticed on hard packed icy trails or frozen snow packed road running from trail to trail the temp goes up quick, my midway through last season I ordered the mtx nytro rear cooler and my over heat light has not came on since.

The temp still goes up quick when I’m riding icy or hard packed roads but as soon as I touch the side of the trail or ride the banks on the road for a sort distance with my track I see the temp gauge go back to 160-165. Hottest temp I’ve seen with the added rear cooler is 185.

I’ve also put vents on but they don’t do much to lower the temp, rear cooler is the answer.

This was me to the T. The cooler was answer.

check your rad! I went through this last season, had to replace my rad, it was partially plugged. Crystalized deposits in the inlet and outlet, I can only imagine what the fins were like.
Tried uploading pics but no luck.

This is more from 2 smoke experience but im sure still true for our 4 strokes also, removing a thermostat isn't the answer. Theory is that it let's it flow through to fast and doesn't have enough time to dissipate as much heat into the coolant. Some people for summer drag racing I remember some replacing the thermostat with a washer type thing, just a disc with a hole in it to restrict/slow down the flow but still be constant. If I remember right places like hauck sold them for the 2 stroke sleds.

How true this is or if it was a sales gimmick I don't really know, theory sounded good though.

If u search there is info on here about a dual fan setup for the nytro, even sold by a vendor on this site

Travis at Barn of Parts sells the dual fan kit for the nytro. Hes on here as hibshman25

Last edited:
Thank you all for the response. I drained the coolant and used Napa 50/50 antifreeze and added water wetter. As mentioned before I added a temp gauge as well. Also.... added an Sr viper snow flap.

I also Installed shims in the radiator so it's further forward (maybe 1/4"?)

Okay fast forward. Groomed trail riding is good and I see temps in the 180 area.

Here's the issue. We got a huge dumping of snow and I ended up running fifty+ miles to neighboring town to have lunch. After lunch we decided to run the mto run the lake. Well with over 2 feet of powder I didn't watch the temp. After 8 miles I looked at the new temp gauge and saw 240 degrees. I shut the sled off. The front was covered in snow blocking air flow to radiator.

My whole point is that the cooler at the front the tunnel is worthless. Even riding through over 2 feet of powder resulted in an overheat with the radiator blocked for air flow.

Think about that. No other sleds had an issue.

Ice scratchers and mountain cooler did trick for me.

Pete

Sounds like there is something wrong, my 2010 xtx has only overheated after running down pavement for 2 km to get gas. The cooling system is stock but I replaced the coolant with a 60/40 mix for the colder temps. Check to see if the front exchanger is getting hot and also check if it's blocked with slush next time it gets hot.

I diluted the coolant, used Water Wetter, shimmed the rad and added vents, but none helped. Riding without a hood helped quite a bit, but looked silly.

The mountain heat exchanger was the answer for me when I had my Nytro. I don't know if this is still true today, but it was cheaper to buy the kit through Yamaha Canada than the States for some reason.

Back