• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Things to keep in mind when studding

Swiss Sledder said:
Dirk, the advantage of 96 studs has nothing to do with cost of the studs themselves. The majority of problems with studded tracks comes from the studs in the outside of the center belt. The other advantage of 96 studs is that they will provide you with sufficient traction to stop on icy surfaces, yet still give you the ability to slide the back end around in the corners.

All I am pointing out is that the number of studs to install is a personal decision and there is no one size fits all.
I have been studding sleds for years as well and I agree with Swiss Sledder on this one.

sj said:
you really think they would have hit? 1.325's?

I was skeptical, and I didn't think they (1.325) would, but they scratched the cooler, and tore the heat shield so that's why I put the strips in. Now that was with an Expert-X though. Conversely, my buddy studded his attak without added protection and mutilated the die-cast tunnel pc. The track stretched on him, and I think he was bottoming pretty hard without that heavy spring.

I'm running 96 studs down the center..I'm completely happy with this..No wear and studs in great shape..I have studded the outside before and blown several tracks this way..My personal preference is controllable slides..Not being glued down in the rear..

studs are heavy.im going to try an ice ripper track on my attack gt this season.more for saftey than performance.

snappy said:
studs are heavy.im going to try an ice ripper track on my attack gt this season.more for saftey than performance.
The ice ripper track is not near as safe as studs. Don't kid yourself.... Studs are longer and can dig deeper than an Ice ripper track.

SledFreak said:
snappy said:
The ice ripper track is not near as safe as studs. Don't kid yourself.... Studs are longer and can dig deeper than an Ice ripper track.

I could be wrong, but last I heard, the studs on the Ice Ripper were NOT replaceable either.

To each his own. It's all preferance. But it's a clear fact that if you run fewer studs they will wear out faster. This is do to the fact that the leas you use the more stress each individual studs takes. It's a mathmatical fact.

Who said anything about studding on the outside??? Go back and read my posts or do a little research buddy. You can run 144 down the center belt on a 121 and 162 down the center belt on a 136 with the use of double backers. :tg: :tg:

LOL #$%&* #$%&*

Back