• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thinking of replacing skis - too many options

mdkuni

TY 4 Stroke Guru
I am a very aggressive trail rider. I have had some darting and have heard many people praising aftermarket skis. There are a lot to choose from and one person thinks a certain ski is great and the next person thinks that ski is no good!

I am looking for a single carbide ski and wanting to know if they are truly worth the upgrade and what you would recommend. I think the stock skis are great besides the darting, but I have never rode anything but stock skis. I primarily ride twisty trails.

I will have to say I like the C & A's mainly the ADX's, but that is just me, I mainly trail ride / trail race and these seem to work very well for me I slapped on a set of shaper bars and all is good, BUT their are many skis to pick from and everyone is different, but anything is better then stock also FYI I just bought another set on ebay all black with mounts & shipping =225.00 well worth it, Funny thing was is that i did the buy it now from a seller for the AD's but, he emailed me back and said he didn't have the ones i won so he'll give me the ADX's for no xtra.

If your happy with the stock skis except for darting Scott Bergstrom of Bergstrom skags can solve that problem with shimming,good runners and skisavers. save yourself alot of $. Many of us here on site have lots of experience with aftermarket skis. One popular choice is the Slydog ski . If you search posts you can get lots of info. Of course there are lots of execllent skis out there. Trick is picking the right one for your needs. I run Slydogs with Bergsrom triplepoint runners and skisavers. This is a great setup for the long distance touring I do.

I myself have tried different runners and really liked the new DUECE from STUDBOY big improvement, very little darting and a lot of bite in corners, on hard packed the trade off is heavy steering, but in loose stuff their GREAT.

Sounds like you're level headed. ;)! Do a search, read it all, but keep in mind what type of riding that you enjoy the most. With a little luck, you just may make the right choice the first time. GOOD LUCK!

Bodacious said:
Sounds like you're level headed. ;)! Do a search, read it all, but keep in mind what type of riding that you enjoy the most. With a little luck, you just may make the right choice the first time. GOOD LUCK!

I hope the right choice is the stock skis, as that means more $$ for gas. I cannot tolerate darting anymore though, especially with the high miles I ride.

I did the shim deal during the season and have made some minor adjustments to the toe out this summer. I may try to increase the size of the shim first and if that fails it looks like Outlaws will be worth a shot...

mdkuni.if you are very aggressive rider ditch the stock ski's and go with a set of c,a razors and point and shoot the sled where ever you want.

if your just looking to get less darting throw on a set of skis savers which is just a piece that makes your keel deeper.

any questions let me know.

richierich said:
mdkuni.if you are very aggressive rider ditch the stock ski's and go with a set of c,a razors and point and shoot the sled where ever you want.

if your just looking to get less darting throw on a set of skis savers which is just a piece that makes your keel deeper.

any questions let me know.

Anyone use a set of old hyfax to make your own ski savers? I don't see why it wouldn't work.....

Maybe I will try the ski savers and just keep a look out for a used set of C&A's....

I took Rich's advice and went with the Razors. Sorry, no real world experience yet since I just installed them this summer on the Attak. I don't mind the additional aggressiveness and look forward to having the sled drive exactly where I point it. Last year was full of too much vagueness (is that a word?) and the stockers pushed way too much; even with the strap pulled all the way.

I just don't think I'm going to have that problem this year!!

Jon

If you want aggressive. go with C@A RAZORS..

They would have been my second choice..

I bought a pair of skidoo skis instead

Forgot to mention that I had the ski savers on with shims and while it didn't dart nearly as much as not having them, it still pushed waaaaaayyy too much.

Jon

mdkuni said:
Anyone use a set of old hyfax to make your own ski savers? I don't see why it wouldn't work.....

I thought the same and decided it would probably work fine...but since they cost about $10 I decided it wasn't worth the hassle. Buy a set of Bergstrom skegs while you're orderint 'em...no matter what or how much you spend he'll also throw some shims in for free.

I was in the same situation as you and I bought set of DEUCE and for me it was a world of improvement at a fraction of the price, I ride as you describe, between 5000 to 8000kms a year.

I was also p!$$ed of all the darting at a point that I wanted to trade the sled in, t'ill I put on a set of WOODY DUALLY, no more darting but it push out of corners like a bulldozer if you drove aggressive,so back to square "A", did some more reading and research and eneded up with "DEUCE", minimal darting and great bite, for stock skis #1.

My buddy is still riding with WOODY dualies and he can't keep up with me at all, we have the exact same sleds. :-o

If you are an aggressive trail rider then the C&A Outlaws with 7.5 shaper bars are the way to go. I used them all last winter and will never switch. Everyone that rode my Apex GT could not get over how well it handled. You will think all inside ski lift and darting is gone and it will just rail.

Back