• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Throttle body boost leaks

kviper

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 MCX Turbo Apex
Has any one done a boost leak test and found throttle body leaks under 14lb? I ground the bottom three clamp spacers down and wondering if it's worth the pain to do the top three? I'm only running 12/13 lb boost.

What year is the sled? I ask because I think over time the rubber boots get compressed by the clamp pressure and eventually the clamps will be loose, but if you're only running a mild tune it's probly not going to effect it much. Have you done a leak test on it? If you're not holding pressure and you do decide to fix all the clamps do yourself a favor and just pull the throttle bodies off. It's really not bad.

It's an 18. Just running a little over stock boost with a manual boost controller. I have everything off up to the throttle bodies and did the lower clamp spacers. Seems I read some where that the upper clamps can be loosened all the way up and rotated to the bottom where they can be accessed a little easier. Looks like the fuel rail would have to come off either way. Just wondering if it's worth it?

Its easiest to do them all at once, loosen all up and pull the throttle bodies off, but leaving the water hooked up, you can then rotate the boots around to get at all of the clamps from under the front of the machine. I've done three machines the last couple of weeks.

Will the throttle body's coome off and clear the steering shaft by just taking the upper clamp off?

Will the throttle body's coome off and clear the steering shaft by just taking the upper clamp off?

The upper steering bushing needs to come off, prop the steering shaft up, pull the intake tube to the turbo off and out, loosen all the clamps, pull the bodies off the head and just leave them there with all fuel lines attached and also leave water lines hooked up, then you can rotate the rubber boots to access all the clamps. You want the boots on the bodies lifted off the head to allow access to be able to rotate them on the bodies from below in front of the engine to have access.

Thanks Mike! Don't sound to bad.

Last edited:
The upper steering bushing needs to come off, prop the steering shaft up, pull the intake tube to the turbo off and out, loosen all the clamps, pull the bodies off the head and just leave them there with all fuel lines attached and also leave water lines hooked up, then you can rotate the rubber boots to access all the clamps. You want the boots on the bodies lifted off the head to allow access to be able to rotate them on the bodies from below in front of the engine to have access.
Don't have it all back together yet but it wasn't to bad. Had me son with a little smaller more nimble (he's a small engine mexhanic) hands help. The only thing we did different was after pulling the throttle body's up and off the head there was enough room to pop the rubber boots off and pull them out between the head and throttle body's. Then took the boots to the bench and did the clamps. Juat had to mark the clamps and boots to make sure everything was clocked right and aligned with the alignment tabs on the bottom side of the head nipples. Also need to be a little creative to get at the top clamp screws.

Don't have it all back together yet but it wasn't to bad. Had me son with a little smaller more nimble (he's a small engine mexhanic) hands help. The only thing we did different was after pulling the throttle body's up and off the head there was enough room to pop the rubber boots off and pull them out between the head and throttle body's. Then took the boots to the bench and did the clamps. Juat had to mark the clamps and boots to make sure everything was clocked right and aligned with the alignment tabs on the bottom side of the head nipples. Also need to be a little creative to get at the top clamp screws.

Perfect, glad it worked out well for you kviper.

Being i can't ride i may make up a boost leak tester to. I'm sure it's rare but I have heard of BOV leaks as low as 10lb.

Does anyone have a write up on the procedure to do throttle body spacers along with pictures? I am, if I see it can do it type. Don’t ask me to visualize! Lol

Back