• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Throttle Position Sensor- NEED HELP!

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 Yamaha Nytro XTX
2010 Yamaha Apex LTX-GT
Hey guys!

I've been having some problems with my throttle position sensor. It was one of the many items I ended up going through and checking on when I ran into problems with fueling, backfiring, and hiccup when I hit the throttle. Anyway I put the sled into Diagnostic mode and the reading I got on the low end (no throttle) was 15 and the top end (full throttle) was 90. Now I know the low end should be between 15-18 and the top should be around 96. After loosening the TPS and moving it around to try and achieve the suggested 15 low and 96 top I couldn't get close. In order to achieve a reading of 96 on the top it would read no less than 24 on the bottom (anything over 17 set off TORS immediately). After trying to adjust the idle screw to see if I could lower the reading at no throttle and making sure that all the contact points were correct the best reading I can get now is 17-90. Sled still runs fine like this. I also messed with the throttle free play and couldn't achieve any positive results. Just a lot of TORS. haha. I have a brand new TPS coming in tomorrow that I am hoping will solve the issue. I removed one of my K&N filters to make sure the valves were opening completely and all looks well. I can't find anything mechanical that is happening that would be causing the range of the TPS to be too small. I am looking for any and all advice or suggestions. The whole reason I started looking into this was because of the stuttering or hiccup when at cruising speeds after hitting full throttle.

UPDATE:
Replaced TPS and it didn't change anything. Still not reading proper range. No idea what the problem is at this point. I'm thinking the valves for the throttle bodies have worn a groove into the throttle bodies that won't allow the valves to return to full closed setting because when I adjust the idle screw out the piece that will rest against it normally is not hitting it. It is being stopped by something I can't see inside the engine. Might be time to get it into professional hands this summer. Way too much $ into this sled to not have it performing to it's fullest potential.

Throttle free play has been messed with back and forth. Tested it with slack and tested it with tors activated it was so tight. Didn't alter range

you run kn&n with or without snow charger?? is possible moisture got in the trottle body and there ice in the trottle body where the butterfly valve rest ?

Not quite sure what you mean but they have the prefilter type bag over them. I keep the sled garaged at 70 degrees and this problem has been going on for at least a month so ice doesn't seem to be a culprit in this instance. Unless ice buildup has cause some premature wear and tear somewhere.

i see take ice out of the equation she sitting in a heated storage then ... i had icing issue on my old cat running kn&n both trottle body are in sync ?

Last edited:
That was gonna be my next project I guess. I wonder if they could be out of sync enough to cause the reading problems. Good call! Thanks for the help. Now to decide whether to buy or make something for the sync.

i had banshee for year i alway sync my carb just using my eye make sur they open at the same time and you should be good

That was gonna be my next project I guess. I wonder if they could be out of sync enough to cause the reading problems. Good call! Thanks for the help. Now to decide whether to buy or make something for the sync.
did you ever figure out what was wrong? I’m having the same trouble with my Nytro

I also have the same issues with my nytro and searching for solutions.

Hey guys. Have not found a solution to this. Spent some time with GrizzTracks over the holiday and didn't come up with anything concrete. I still have not synced the throttle bodies. If you try this and it works please let all of us know!

I did sync my throttle bodies, but it didn't help. I also have change my tps, and measured everything without luck. Next step is to try change the ecu, if theres something wrong.

Good to know. Please let me know if that works!

Back