• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thunder Products Questions

stevewithOCD

Yamaha, Make me Come Back
Country
USA
Snowmobile
900 R
2006 Apex RTX
I have some questions for you with TP experience. I received my Big Venom kit except secondary spring. Hoping to get that at Haydays. I ran 911 cover, primary spring & glide washers last year because i broke stock spring & needed an immediate replacement.

1. How is the front clutch "clearance" measured? Do i push belt all the way in & look for side to side
clearance?
2. 10-20 thousandths? Very difficult to measure with air cleaner on.
3. I have Ulmer rear rollers & OSP secondary adjuster. Should be about same as TP's stuff correct? Any
suggestions on this?
4. I believe Lonn gets these front weights pretty close per body weight. Any tips or RPM's to look for?

I have some questions for you with TP experience. I received my Big Venom kit except secondary spring. Hoping to get that at Haydays. I ran 911 cover, primary spring & glide washers last year because i broke stock spring & needed an immediate replacement.

1. How is the front clutch "clearance" measured? Do i push belt all the way in & look for side to side
clearance?
3. I have Ulmer rear rollers & OSP secondary adjuster. Should be about same as TP's stuff correct? Any
suggestions on this?
4. I believe Lonn gets these front weights pretty close per body weight. Any tips or RPM's to look for?
I do side to side by feel. .020 is good. Look in from front of clutch. Set secondary before front. Level with outside of secondary. Should be 8900-9000rpm.

clearance?
suggestions on this?

#1 - Yes, with the belt pushed towards the inner sheave, you should be able to see a gap or even measure it with a feeler gage when using the 911 cover adjuster.

#2 - Yes, aim for 20 thousandths. Feeler gage

#3 - Should be the same as far as dimensions. Don't know what others are using for materials for the rollers, but Thunder uses a material that does not wear (on the sleds I have seen them on or installed them on)

#4 - Lonn has all our info for weight setups. Set your rpms to 8,900 to 9,000

Ok, so I have a Thunder products question.....Are the Heavy Hitters the "way to go"?

Ok, so I have a Thunder products question.....Are the Heavy Hitters the "way to go"?
Yes. Get the big venom kit. Teheckit contains heavy hitters. The springs are tuned with the kit. Also new secondary spring to be released soon.

Yes. Get the big venom kit. The kit contains heavy hitters. The springs are tuned with the kit. Also new secondary spring to be released soon.

X2

P.S. the new secondary spring is on Thunder Products website now

I'm not looking to get into a flash for more power at this time but I would like a kit that will optimize my stock engine. Most important to me is belt life, fuel efficiency and reliability. Does the big venom kit fit my criteria or should I do something else?

I'm not looking to get into a flash for more power at this time but I would like a kit that will optimize my stock engine. Most important to me is belt life, fuel efficiency and reliability. Does the big venom kit fit my criteria or should I do something else?
Joe .night and day difference from stk with low engagement ,i'm running alittle more mid weight then he says to .If you get one ,get the new driven spring also and the 33/35 helix also .

Last edited:
Joe .night and day difference from stk with low engagement ,i'm running alittle more mid weight then he says to .If you get one ,get the new driven spring also and the 31/33 helix also .
Thanks for the reply Ken. You are talking about a stock engine right?

Thanks for the reply Ken. You are talking about a stock engine right?
Correct .the helix helps the bottom end till you start making boost .

Joe .night and day difference from stk with low engagement ,i'm running alittle more mid weight then he says to .If you get one ,get the new driven spring also and the 31/33 helix also .

X2 get the 33/35 helix and the clutch kit works well stock and now I'm running 280hp TD tune and same clutch weights that's the beauty of this kit! It's very adjustable! I recommend Thunderproducts clutching and TD tunes if you ever decide to tune! Both have great customer service backing there products

YES, talked with Lonn today. Stand up, knowledgeable guy not trying to oversell anything just explains well, what he has to offer and why. I'll be going with the Big Venom kit for sure! Along with the 33/35 helix and the 911 cover once I boost my sled

That part (helix) comes in Straight or Reverse angle. Can someone explain the difference?

The straight is a 35deg just like stock but much better quality so all rollers will touch, the reverse angle is a 33/35deg and will give a little more low end rpm. I talked to lonn today and they still haven't received the new springs but were tracking them down they are in shipment.

Back