• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Top Gear Replacement Help

Looking forward to opening the chaincase this off season. My riding buddy (18 Tcat) and I (18 Winder) both have the DMC gear and have 2500 miles on them this year. Hoping to report some good info on the results of a season running this gear.

well the repair is complete, it was super easy, I replaced with an OEM 22 tooth as I got it fast and was back on the trail quickly.

The OEM lasted 6000 miles in my machine with PowerTrail tune and aggressive riding. I always use 75/90 synthetic gearlube vs Yamalube and I will continue to as it clearly worked well...

Our DMC HD top has solved thousand of top gear issues for customers.
The original and the Best!

Attachments

• 9E897E3D-A6CD-4875-AB71-E565C26D8738.jpeg
    9E897E3D-A6CD-4875-AB71-E565C26D8738.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 58
I would like to replace my top gear with the DMC gear. It is for my 2022 Winder LTX GT. I might be on borrowed time with 3000 miles on her. I want to keep it stock. I have not pulled it apart yet, so I don't know what tooth gear is in there! Is it 21, 22 or what. Does anybody know off hand?

I would like to replace my top gear with the DMC gear. It is for my 2022 Winder LTX GT. I might be on borrowed time with 3000 miles on her. I want to keep it stock. I have not pulled it apart yet, so I don't know what tooth gear is in there! Is it 21, 22 or what. Does anybody know off hand?
I get the wanting to keep it stock, but since this one area that was under-engineered, I would highly recommend either installing the harder bushing in the gear you have or switching out to one of the other aftermarket options.

I get the wanting to keep it stock, but since this one area that was under-engineered, I would highly recommend either installing the harder bushing in the gear you have or switching out to one of the other aftermarket options.
Definitely going with the DMC route when they become available!

The stock gear is a 21, the 22 will give you a bit more top end!

The stock gear is a 21, the 22 will give you a bit more top end!
Great idea but stock for stock there is not much out there that will beat it but maybe another sidewinder! The stock gearing will keep the trail riding smooth and linear, which is so amazing with this missle of a sled! Just so sad that this will be the last sled Yamaha can hang its hat on. I just can't see anyone of the other companies topping this engine for what it is!

The other aspect of switching top gear could be fuel mileage. I never see it mentioned that if you are traveling 60 MPH with either gear, the RPMs should be lower with the 22 gear. Less RPMs over a day has to make a little difference. I switched mine out this offseason and installed adjustable weights. In stock form I think they run a bit high in RPMs while cruising. I'm also adding the Hurricane SM tune to get to 225 or 240 HP. Maybe that would pull a larger gear yet. Can't wait to try it out.

The other aspect of switching top gear could be fuel mileage. I never see it mentioned that if you are traveling 60 MPH with either gear, the RPMs should be lower with the 22 gear. Less RPMs over a day has to make a little difference. I switched mine out this offseason and installed adjustable weights. In stock form I think they run a bit high in RPMs while cruising. I'm also adding the Hurricane SM tune to get to 225 or 240 HP. Maybe that would pull a larger gear yet. Can't wait to try it out.

It will also be a slight bit slower to reach speed and it will be a bit faster top end. Its only 4% difference in gearing so it isn't a huge difference
Top is SRX stock, middle is TCAT 24/50, bottom is 22/41 gearing

1689906992749.png

I think it's been said that the larger gear is easier on the bushing. I changed the stock 24t with a DMC 24t at 4,000 miles but the bushing wasn't bad at all.

It will also be a slight bit slower to reach speed and it will be a bit faster top end. Its only 4% difference in gearing so it isn't a huge difference
Top is SRX stock, middle is TCAT 24/50, bottom is 22/41 gearing

View attachment 173044
But add a tune and a little bit of clutch adjustment.. Is it still slower to reach speed? And it should still have power to pull max RPM at the higher top speed. I have read here the tune will improve fuel economy too. Will I get the fuel economy to match my Sons 2009 Vector? I consistently use a gallon more per fill up. Not all that important, but if any of what I stated turns out to work, I will be happy. From what I recall it turns closer to 6000 rpm at 60 mph I like seeing it only drops 200 rpm, but i wonder if it could be more without becoming a dog.

But add a tune and a little bit of clutch adjustment.. Is it still slower to reach speed? And it should still have power to pull max RPM at the higher top speed. I have read here the tune will improve fuel economy too. Will I get the fuel economy to match my Sons 2009 Vector? I consistently use a gallon more per fill up. Not all that important, but if any of what I stated turns out to work, I will be happy. From what I recall it turns closer to 6000 rpm at 60 mph I like seeing it only drops 200 rpm, but i wonder if it could be more without becoming a dog.

Put the 300 super spool tune from Hurricane, 22 top gear and a steeper helix and let her eat!
All depends on how fast and quick you really want to go.

Back