• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Top Gear Replacement Help

markt111

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
all Yamahas
Well I just turned 6000 miles and had the Top Gear go at speed this weekend. thought I blew a belt, I opened the side panel and the belt was still intact. like other people I was able to drive it home very gently, I am breaking it down now. Does anyone have a video or the instructions on how to break down the chain case itself to get to the top gear, the chain is still in place but I can feel a lot of wiggle in the top gear

Well I just turned 6000 miles and had the Top Gear go at speed this weekend. thought I blew a belt, I opened the side panel and the belt was still intact. like other people I was able to drive it home very gently, I am breaking it down now. Does anyone have a video or the instructions on how to break down the chain case itself to get to the top gear, the chain is still in place but I can feel a lot of wiggle in the top gear
Never mind, that was pretty easy

Watch that tension on the chain. To tight and it wears bushing out faster. Best to set the tension with case open. Get all back together and set the bolt so it’s 1/16 or so off the assembly with roller wheel on it. If you want PM your phone number and I will text you a short video of what I’m mean.

IMG_6065.JPG
IMG_6066.JPG
IMG_6067.JPG
If you stick with stock gears replace every 2000 miles or with the yearly motor oil change. I have been running a bronze bushing kit setup just over 2 years problems and wear have gone away .

Stock bushing makes it to about 5-8000kms as per my findings, depending on how hard the sled is driven. I'm also finding that a basic non-teflon coated bushing is lasting better and fits very snug. Won't be as good as the DMC, but at $20 it's cheap. Never hurts to inspect chaincase every 8000kms or so anyway.

Stock bushing makes it to about 5-8000kms as per my findings, depending on how hard the sled is driven. I'm also finding that a basic non-teflon coated bushing is lasting better and fits very snug. Won't be as good as the DMC, but at $20 it's cheap. Never hurts to inspect chaincase every 8000kms or so anyway.
The stock bushing would only last 3000km on mine. Anything over 3000km (tuned) i was on borrowed time..lol I replaced the bushing with one I got from NY turbo.. sled is coming apart this week to see if this new one is lasting or not! I will most likely swap it out with the DMC one once we start seeing feedback from guys here on ty that are running one

Back