• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trail Handling My Sidewinder Vs My old Viper

So I have had the Sidewinder for a season now and have used it in varying conditions. That said I figured I would give my opinion and see what you guys think of the SW compared to your previous sleds and if you feel similar.

Current sled: SW LTX SE, TD trail tune, Mohawk skis, 144 studs
Previous: Viper RTX SE, stock skis w/dually carbides, 144 studs

First thing is the power, there is no comparison! I thought the Viper was torquey and did a good job keeping up but it would fall off up top against the Skidoo friends riding 800-850s. This thing is just a beast, from the start to top end, it is almost too much power for some trails, I really learned quickly to have some throttle control. With previous machines it would be to the bar, off, to the bar again and so on, With the SW you really need to squeeze slower just to get bite and then the corners come up and your already doing 100... The adrenaline rush doing 120+ on the trail straights is amazing!!!

Handling, it handled great as bought with stock skis and snow trackers on hardpack but once there was some powder on the trails forget it. A quick upgrade to Mohawk skis and it is great in all trail conditions. The handling is precise but I am surprised by the mass difference between the SW and my previous Viper (now the wife's machine) it's feels bigger in general, the seat/tank is higher from the running boards etc... I am pretty tired after throwing it around the trails all day and was never with the Viper, obviously this depends on the type of trails I am riding each day. Some of that fatigue is probably due to the power difference as well but the machine definitely requires more energy and strength to control. I am a very active rider and in pretty good shape, I like work it on the trails, always have. I am surprised that 75lbs made such a difference.

Off trail, forget it, it gets stuck in a couple feet of powder on the edge of the trails, obviously it is not set up for that and not what I bought it for.

I think I may be using multiple machines next year. If I am riding smaller trails and the wife is not riding which she usually isn't (rides a couple times a year) I may have to take the Viper out as it throws form corner to corner so well and has some pep. Just thinking how much I will miss the power of the SW and the money spent to have the most powerful machine out there and hate to have it sit while I ride something else.

I am curious if you guys have had similar experiences? Do you use different sleds for different riding? Maybe I need to work on my set up more?

The sidewinder does not weigh 75 lbs more than a viper. The difference you're describing in weight is just going from a 129 to a 137 sled. For trail riding, especially tight trails, the 129 does everything better.

The sidewinder does not weigh 75 lbs more than a viper. The difference you're describing in weight is just going from a 129 to a 137 sled. For trail riding, especially tight trails, the 129 does everything better.
It's not 75lbs, but it's close. There was an issue of American Snowmobiler that published the following wet weights (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, going off memory here) .... Sidewinder RTX = 670 .... Viper LTX w/ MPI turbo = 630. Knowing that the turbo adds roughly 20lbs to a stock Viper, that puts the math at 60lbs difference. So we could argue if the numbers are exactly correct or not. But the fact is, the Sidewinder definitely has more than 50lbs of heft to it compared to an NA Viper.

It's not 75lbs, but it's close. There was an issue of American Snowmobiler that published the following wet weights (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, going off memory here) .... Sidewinder RTX = 670 .... Viper LTX w/ MPI turbo = 630. Knowing that the turbo adds roughly 20lbs to a stock Viper, that puts the math at 60lbs difference. So we could argue if the numbers are exactly correct or not. But the fact is, the Sidewinder definitely has more than 50lbs of heft to it compared to an NA Viper.

Maybe 15lbs more than a viper. Its the same sled, + a turbo and intercooler. It would weigh just about the same as an MPI viper, because its the same sled essentially.

Its the 137 that makes the sled feel heavy vs driving a 129. I think Yamaha/dealers made a mistake pushing the 137 sleds. My buddy bought a 137 viper a few years ago and hated the way it drove and handled. He now drives a Doo. My brother sold his 137 sidewinder because he didn't like the way it drove and handled compared to my 129, and he was sick of losing every race on the trail with the same mods as me (129 transfers much better). Just look at all the posts on here about the 137 lack of transfer. They are boring to drive IMO.

Maybe 15lbs more than a viper. Its the same sled, + a turbo and intercooler. It would weigh just about the same as an MPI viper, because its the same sled essentially.

Its the 137 that makes the sled feel heavy vs driving a 129. I think Yamaha/dealers made a mistake pushing the 137 sleds. My buddy bought a 137 viper a few years ago and hated the way it drove and handled. He now drives a Doo. My brother sold his 137 sidewinder because he didn't like the way it drove and handled compared to my 129, and he was sick of losing every race on the trail with the same mods as me (129 transfers much better). Just look at all the posts on here about the 137 lack of transfer. They are boring to drive IMO.
I found it. 2017 Amsnow shootout. Here's a screen shot of the published wet weights. Sidewinder is 40lbs more than a turbo Viper.

2017 amsnow shootout.JPG

I found it. 2017 Amsnow shootout. Here's a screen shot of the published wet weights. Sidewinder is 40lbs more than a turbo Viper.

View attachment 148005

Hmmm. I wonder if that’s a typo. I just don’t see how the viper can be lighter. It’s the same sled essentially, and according to that, a turbo viper weights less than a stock 800..... my brother has a 2012 Xf 800 and it’s much lighter than a viper.

I gotta see if I can borrow some scales. I have a plethora of sleds in my garage. I am very curious to weigh up some sleds and see what’s what.

Any fatigue on a turbo 4 stroke is from power! They are a B**** to hold on to! After driving 300hp Apex's I can't go backwards as its such a rush! That said they do wear ya out. I drove a skidoo 800 and thought I was going to fall asleep. I don't get to ride much but when I do I want to be scared and adrenaline flowing!
So true! I detest boring sleds! You have to stay sharp on a sidewinder, for sure, and that can wear you down a little, but it's worth it! My fingers are a lot longer now.

I felt the same as OP until I put the cat skis with snowtrackers on my sidewinder. all last year I was just exhausted riding in any kind of tight conditions and I ride hard. this year had Travis set me up with skis and snowtrackers and I never felt fatigued at all 2700+ miles this year and loved every minute of it. ready for more even after a 250 mile ride. was more like my apex with power steering that I have kept thinking I would ride that on tight trail days. I didn't put any miles on it this year.
Which skis from Cat? Do you have a part#?
Which kit from Snowtracker? I'm debating on them. Thanks Cheers

The sidewinder is heavier in the nose than a viper so naturally it will have more ski pressure. My MPS kit dramatically lightens up the steering effort and you will not fatigue in the tight twistys!

I have 1 or 2 more good used sets of cat skis that i sold to thor. Send me a PM and i can fix you up.

If you go on any of the "on-line" Arctic Cat snowmobile parts stores, you can go to the parts diagrams and find the AC skis for any given model. If you want the basic trail ski, you can find them in black or white. I like the skis that came on my 2014 XTX that are wider than the standard trail ski. They give a little more flotation, and it may be all in my head, but I think that they are a better ski. If you look under the AC 141" sled that would be the equivalent of the XTX you will see those skis, and can identify them from the little "nubs" that are on the top rails of the ski. You will have to order the handles separately. Do yourself a favor and order the AC rubbers when you buy the skis; they make installation a whole lot easier.

You can search online for the Snow Trackers to fit the 2013-2019 AC Procross sleds, depending upon your sled's track length, studs, riding style, etc., you can get the aggressive or semi-aggressive set up. I have always been happy with the semi-aggressive, but I don't stud my track, and I my riding style is not overly aggressive.

If you go on any of the "on-line" Arctic Cat snowmobile parts stores, you can go to the parts diagrams and find the AC skis for any given model. If you want the basic trail ski, you can find them in black or white. I like the skis that came on my 2014 XTX that are wider than the standard trail ski. They give a little more flotation, and it may be all in my head, but I think that they are a better ski. If you look under the AC 141" sled that would be the equivalent of the XTX you will see those skis, and can identify them from the little "nubs" that are on the top rails of the ski. You will have to order the handles separately. Do yourself a favor and order the AC rubbers when you buy the skis; they make installation a whole lot easier.

You can search online for the Snow Trackers to fit the 2013-2019 AC Procross sleds, depending upon your sled's track length, studs, riding style, etc., you can get the aggressive or semi-aggressive set up. I have always been happy with the semi-aggressive, but I don't stud my track, and I my riding style is not overly aggressive.
Thank you Wannaviper

Thank you Wannaviper
If you order the AC skis, don't forget to order the metal inserts that go in them! I think the bolts and spacers are all the same, but the inserts and rubbers are different and will be extra.

Back