• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trail Tank - Yes or No ???

Trail Tank - Get or Forget

• Yes - Must Have

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No - Not Needed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
sj said:
come on grizz thats becuase you "finished" the install... youre not the average bear!

laughingbear3.jpg

The fit and finish is not like Yamaha would have it, but they are trying to get a tank in the same space to hold 3 extra gallons. I have had trail tanks on both of my Nytro's and would not have one without it. I also have the saddle bag fuel cans on the rear that Yamaha sells and have not needed them since I have the trail tank. But I do keep them full of fuel to keep my Doo friends going!!! It is alot handier to have your fuel in the fuel tank, than to have to stop and dump fuel in the tank that you are carrying in cans.

Agman 57 said:
The fit and finish is not like Yamaha would have it, but they are trying to get a tank in the same space to hold 3 extra gallons. I have had trail tanks on both of my Nytro's and would not have one without it. I also have the saddle bag fuel cans on the rear that Yamaha sells and have not needed them since I have the trail tank. But I do keep them full of fuel to keep my Doo friends going!!! It is alot handier to have your fuel in the fuel tank, than to have to stop and dump fuel in the tank that you are carrying in cans.

People would spend a lot of money to drop 18.5 pounds off there sled, hauling fuel I can drop my tank when I go to play, also when its on there its at the far back of the sled where I want the weight. Just sayin. If your trail riding or your sled doesnt work as nice as mine for haulin extra your probably right.

No, was my answer I mounted a jerry can on the back and like the ideal of just not having the extra weight when not needed

..SNAKEBIT.. said:
No, was my answer I mounted a jerry can on the back and like the ideal of just not having the extra weight when not needed

If you have cans then there are times you need the extra fuel. If you install a Trail Tank and don't want the extra fuel or weight then don't fill it up!

I like the extra fuel can setup that skidoo has but come time to transfer fuel it also is a PITA.

I really liked mine and would still be running it if my new tunnel allowed for it. I hate carrying gas cans on the back.

I would not be with out. Only thing is, I put on a clear, and now my 2 smoke friends see how much I have left and want to start bumming it. I am not so nice if they the extra fuel, they can pack it themselves. That extra room is for water and lunch. ( safety and survival stuff is under the seat)

swelly said:
I would not be with out. Only thing is, I put on a clear, and now my 2 smoke friends see how much I have left and want to start bumming it. I am not so nice if they the extra fuel, they can pack it themselves. That extra room is for water and lunch. ( safety and survival stuff is under the seat)

Haha, I've had a friend do that too. him, "Dude, I'm out of gas, looks like you have plenty so can I have some?"

Me, "well you shouldn't have played in that swamp for so long"

Him, "well I could see you have like half a tank, so I said F it"

But I do like seeing how much fuel I have.

Just installed mine today, and I am pretty happy with the fit and finish. It isn't perfect but I never found the yamaha finish with the plastic panels perfect either. One thing I did notice is it is very close to the fan on the rad... But since I have installed the OFT steering relocator I also put in a couple spacers to move the rad forward a bit freeing up a little room behind the rad...

I caught a ski on a railroad crossing and bent my frame enough that the fan blades hit the Trail Tank. I shimmed the radiator with washers and finished the season with the bent frame. With the new frame installed I'm leaving the shims in for the added clearance. It may not be a bad idea to add the shims when doing a new Trail Tank install.

I only have mine shimmed about 1/8 inch tops, but if I find some longer bolts I may try moving it farther forward. That extra air space behind the rad will probably help keep it cooler as well...

I used a few washers that I had laying around. They are around 1/8" thick but you could probably go a little thicker especially on the top where the the fan blades lack clearance.

Something I'll look into when I bring it out of storage...plus a more vertical radiator will catch more air.

Back