• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trying The 8DN BELT

Bought 3 used 8DN off Ebay, big mistake. They smelled like they had been in a fire but I tried one anyways as I had never seen an 8DN belt fried. But this one was...reeeeeek pop sled lunge reeeek smoke. Don't buy used off Ebay :o|

stingray719 said:
Bought 3 used 8DN off Ebay, big mistake. They smelled like they had been in a fire but I tried one anyways as I had never seen an 8DN belt fried. But this one was...reeeeeek pop sled lunge reeeek smoke. Don't buy used off Ebay :o|

Lol...not good! I guess new is best! :Rockon:

Yes, new is best. Mine on my Viper was on my Nytro with about 500 miles on it. Working great! But picking up a new belt for it soon. Also tryng the Gates belt (But one thing at a time as my notes have filled 2 pages already)

8dn

Ok maybe I missed this. Ppl are switching belts to help with over reving caused by track or belt slipping. So has anybody added a shim to a oem belt before they shimmed a 8dm. Whats the results? Also you talk about belt deflection. How do you adjust that? Shims? Is it still rule of thumb 1 1/2 in center off straight edge. :o|

Re: 8dn

bleedyamaha said:
Ok maybe I missed this. Ppl are switching belts to help with over reving caused by track or belt slipping. So has anybody added a shim to a oem belt before they shimmed a 8dm. Whats the results? Also you talk about belt deflection. How do you adjust that? Shims? Is it still rule of thumb 1 1/2 in center off straight edge. :o|
1"to 1 1/4"

Re: 8dn

bleedyamaha said:

Put additional washers on 3 bolts in back of secondary until belt ribs ride just above the secondary sheaves. Somebody posted pics a ways back.

Not trying to high jack this tread but i think the reason why u guys are having problems with the stock belt is because of the turbo i dont think that the belt was designed for the added hp kinda the same problem the guys with the modded cats are having just putting it out there all i know is i installed ULLMER clutch kit in my stock viper this cures all problems you guys are having it is faster all the way through bottom to top end and no more rpm hunting that you guys are having best $375 i spent

TPAY243 said:
Not trying to high jack this tread but i think the reason why u guys are having problems with the stock belt is because of the turbo i dont think that the belt was designed for the added hp kinda the same problem the guys with the modded cats are having just putting it out there all i know is i installed ULLMER clutch kit in my stock viper this cures all problems you guys are having it is faster all the way through bottom to top end and no more rpm hunting that you guys are having best $375 i spent
Not to sure about that I recently talked to Allen about getting a kit for my sled and he talked me into waiting until he gets his kit dialed in for the 8dn. Told me he is seeing more consistent results and more durability out of the 8dn. Will be switching mine over in the offseason. Put my new spare 8jp and it will suffice for what is left of the season

Just tuned in friends sled with ulmer clutching, changed over to 8dn belt and runs much better than stock belt. Smoother and less slippage.

gates

Well I changed out my original belt with a gates belt. No direction arrows on gates. Hope its on right. Also I checked my ink marks on primary and secondary. The primary was riding 1/2 inch from top and secondary 1/4 inch from top. Took sled down to lake and made some short runs. Still hitting rev limiter but not quite as bad before at bottom end. Lake was blinding and ruff but it got to 85 very quickly but havent seen more yet. Need more time on belt yet. Put a new mark on primary so will be watching. The belt sits flesh with the secondary not above it with both belts. Also when I came to an idle with new belt its chirping for 30 sec. than goes away. Whats your guys thoughts?

Mine is not a turbo so thats not it put 8dn on today runs a consistent 8400 rpms so it is not all over the place.Need to get some shims, the belt is sitting down in the secondary so maybe that will bring it up a bit.

allyammies said:
Mine is not a turbo so thats not it put 8dn on today runs a consistent 8400 rpms so it is not all over the place.Need to get some shims, the belt is sitting down in the secondary so maybe that will bring it up a bit.

It should help for sure! :sled1:

Re: gates

bleedyamaha said:
Well I changed out my original belt with a gates belt. No direction arrows on gates. Hope its on right. Also I checked my ink marks on primary and secondary. The primary was riding 1/2 inch from top and secondary 1/4 inch from top. Took sled down to lake and made some short runs. Still hitting rev limiter but not quite as bad before at bottom end. Lake was blinding and ruff but it got to 85 very quickly but havent seen more yet. Need more time on belt yet. Put a new mark on primary so will be watching. The belt sits flesh with the secondary not above it with both belts. Also when I came to an idle with new belt its chirping for 30 sec. than goes away. Whats your guys thoughts?

While looking down at the belt the. You should be able to read the writing on the belt normal, not up side down

writing

Thanks Tim. Thats what I did. Put on 80 miles today on 2 rivers. Trails sucked cause you couldnt see but the rivers were fun. Turkeys bald eagles deer coyote and pheasants. The belt chirping is gone. Very sliippery with new snow falling all day.

Back