• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trying The 8DN BELT

Please stop all this madness you guys are scaring me lol I think all the turbo guys with great luck should post me some encouraging words:)

Like Yamadog said, if I would have had better gauges I would of never had a problem!! And I ran it hard! So no worries!! The turbo is just fine!!

Thanks for the encouragement Tim:) sleds is all done and back together for the most part, gotta get gauges hooked up and make some mounts for them and then pray for snow. Start to finish they got about 9 hours into it, that sound about right for installation?

Thanks for the encouragement Tim:) sleds is all done and back together for the most part, gotta get gauges hooked up and make some mounts for them and then pray for snow. Start to finish they got about 9 hours into it, that sound about right for installation?

If it's one of the first ones than yes, it took around the same time for me and Steve. I don't think you would be lucky enough to have Steve's belt life though. His lasted forever compared to mine! Me and Steve's were the first few that our dealer did and it took the same amount of time. And not really encouragement, but more the truth! Steve was having sled problems not related to the turbo on our first ride in MI. There was something wrong with his right away, and they said it would be fine. I rode with Steve several times and he is a good rider and knows how the stuff works. He should of insisted that they fix it instead of continue to ride it. But either way it was no fault to the turbo. So don't worry about it. It will be fine. But like Steve said, MPI ships them around 3-31/2 pounds of boost. So make sure your gauges work before you adjust your boost. Or have your dealer run it on a dyno and adjust boost. Otherwise you will have to wait until snow comes and test on snow. And run it and adjust AFR as well as your boost. Until you get the AFR numbers right and rich would be smart, and then your boost set correct. Then you will be good. Don't run WOT for long pulls until you know your AFR numbers are perfect!! And boost is set at 6 pounds. Not 6.5 or higher. You don't want to over boost it! Spend some time testing before you go out and give er hell!!

Depending on how busy they're schedule is I'm hoping to get some dyno time to get thing in the ball park of where they need to be. As for the 8dn belt if I remember correct was it the 1mm shims that are needed on the secondary? I guess I can try the belt first and see how it looks but may just get the shims anyways to have

Depending on how busy they're schedule is I'm hoping to get some dyno time to get thing in the ball park of where they need to be. As for the 8dn belt if I remember correct was it the 1mm shims that are needed on the secondary? I guess I can try the belt first and see how it looks but may just get the shims anyways to have

Yes, there is three shims that you will need to add, one per. Then it will sit in there nice. I would use shims first, don't just put the belt in there and run it. It's real easy to do. It would be nice if they could get it set up for you, but it's also nice for you to do it so you know how. It's nice to be able to change your boost, just in case. And it is super easy!! Same with the belt, just take the secondary off turn it around take it apart and add three shims the put back together and put the belt on. Done deal!

I thought I seen on one of the posts that someone was able to just switch to the 8dn and not even add the shims but I'd say that's prolly rare that would happen. I'll have the clutches off doing different weights in primary and can pull secondary off and shim according to the 8dn..thank goodness the old apex and nytro never blew a belt cuz I have two brand new ones that'll work great lol

I thought I seen on one of the posts that someone was able to just switch to the 8dn and not even add the shims but I'd say that's prolly rare that would happen. I'll have the clutches off doing different weights in primary and can pull secondary off and shim according to the 8dn..thank goodness the old apex and nytro never blew a belt cuz I have two brand new ones that'll work great lol

Lol...I had extra as well!! I think I do remember someone saying that too. But I think I would check it out. I mean with the belt on you can run it on a lift to see how the belt is running. Just don't adjust boost or AFR numbers like that. I'm sure you know that, just wanted to add that. Lol

Pioneer performance has them or any yamaha dealer may have some left overs. Some people make there own as well.

Back