• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trying The 8DN BELT

NOS-PRO said:
Same here.....I will try anything....and I am glad I did.

No BS here, just real results. The best part is the 8DN with the idea that Stingray had and me trying it out = holy crap!!!!

It's cool when all of us guys can come up with a plan that works!

I think this thread is very helpful!! And long yes, but with tons of good info! Your video was a true test and people need to try this stuff out! It's cheap and easy. I tried Bill's set up as well, but the snow we have left is bad! So couldn't get a good indication either way. Hopefully guys will read this and try it out! And with Bills set up might be the ticket all are looking for!
The 8dn belt works and keeps everything consistent! Give Bill's shim with green white green spring with a 2mm shim and it just might rock!! :Rockon:

stingray719 said:
NOS-PRO said:

No BS here, just real results. The best part is the 8DN with the idea that Stingray had and me trying it out = holy crap!!!!

I am puzzled more people are not trying the fix especially after you posted the results in real time via youtube. :dunno:

I will be trying it.
Already started ordering parts, just had not made my decision public yet. Lol
Thanks for the help!!

RTX said:
stingray719 said:
NOS-PRO said:

I am puzzled more people are not trying the fix especially after you posted the results in real time via youtube. :dunno:

I will be trying it.
Thanks for the help!!

You are more than welcome, that is the reason alot of us are here is to help others and share knowledge.

stingray719 said:
RTX said:
stingray719 said:
NOS-PRO said:

I will be trying it.
Thanks for the help!!

You are more than welcome, that is the reason alot of us are here is to help others and share knowledge.

Very true!! I like helping others as well! And also like to joke around sometimes! Hopefully with the 8DN belt and Bills help will make these things what they should of been! Good luck everyone who has snow left!! :-o

Really bringing back an old subject here but...picking up my sled sometime this week. Got the mpi turbo on it now and I'm planning to take it out on the grass here and there to start getting some clutching stuff fairly close so that once snow flies I'm not scrambling to get it right. Just curious, for the turbo guys, how many are running the 8dn? I read like 6 pages on this topic again but just want to get a better idea on it. I never had much for speed or clutching issues with my viper, tried the 8dn for a bit but noticed no change..that's just my sled. Anyways I'm a bit nervous that with the added hp and from what I've read it doesn't sound like the 8jp will hold up to the power. Is this the case? Just want to clarify because if so I'll start fresh with a brand new 8dn belt and adjusting clutching accordingly.

Really bringing back an old subject here but...picking up my sled sometime this week. Got the mpi turbo on it now and I'm planning to take it out on the grass here and there to start getting some clutching stuff fairly close so that once snow flies I'm not scrambling to get it right. Just curious, for the turbo guys, how many are running the 8dn? I read like 6 pages on this topic again but just want to get a better idea on it. I never had much for speed or clutching issues with my viper, tried the 8dn for a bit but noticed no change..that's just my sled. Anyways I'm a bit nervous that with the added hp and from what I've read it doesn't sound like the 8jp will hold up to the power. Is this the case? Just want to clarify because if so I'll start fresh with a brand new 8dn belt and adjusting clutching accordingly.

Lol...ya I'm sure you know, but I went through 4 belts pretty fast. And just adding 3 washers one per, will help with the belt being a little bigger. It really helped me a lot. I never went through another belt since. So I have like 2000 miles one one 8DN belt, way less dust as well. I pretty sure Mr. sled has changed and Yamadog has changed. But I know they also run the MPI turbo as well. I think Matt at MPI had some issues with the 8JP as well. And for clutching I would have Matt help you. He has had some good time testing the Viper and even though he is in higher elevation he is pretty good at getting you close. Same with Allen at Ulmer. Stingray also is really good and him and NOS PRO have done a lot of testing, without a turbo, but might be able to steer you in the right direction. I had mine really close around 8690-8800 rpm and close to 8800 rpm at WOT. I have all Yamaha parts except I have Hauck Powersports weights. I had a blue white blue primary and a I think a white secondary spring. A straight 47 helix. Matt said that he likes Yamaha clutch components. And they are very good. I had zero problems with that set up and am pretty close to where I would want to be. Would just have to mess around with the weights a little.
I know a little off subject, but make sure your gauges are good ones and you use great fuel!! Maybe running 5 pounds of boost and getting everything set up with that would be the ticket. Safe and they say it's like 9.6 hp per pound of boost. Well you might not miss 9.6 hp all that much and be safer with your motor. Just my input on that. I went through a motor because I had a KOSO gauge and it was reading wrong AFR numbers. So I was in a lean setting when it was telling me I was running 10.6 at WOT which is a very very safe number. So I went through my pistons. So gauges is not the time to look for anything cheap. Just a heads up.

That's all I needed to know..not even gonna bother with the stock belt I'll get setup right with the 8dn and go from there. For gauges I have aem boost and afr with digital readout..heard a lot of good about them and that's what the dealer recommended. Hoping to get some dyno time eventually with the setup and see what it can do..dealer did a cat 7000 with the same kit over the winter and said they set it at 6pounds, ran safe afr #s and with premium fuel it made 191hp on their dyno which is very encouraging. I have access to 91 octane ethanol free fuel basically anywhere I ride so if by chance I need to fill up somewhere else I should be all set. I live 100 yards from a gas stations that carries the fuel year round and almost never ride far enough to have to fill up on the trail so that helps a lot!

That's all I needed to know..not even gonna bother with the stock belt I'll get setup right with the 8dn and go from there. For gauges I have aem boost and afr with digital readout..heard a lot of good about them and that's what the dealer recommended. Hoping to get some dyno time eventually with the setup and see what it can do..dealer did a cat 7000 with the same kit over the winter and said they set it at 6pounds, ran safe afr #s and with premium fuel it made 191hp on their dyno which is very encouraging. I have access to 91 octane ethanol free fuel basically anywhere I ride so if by chance I need to fill up somewhere else I should be all set. I live 100 yards from a gas stations that carries the fuel year round and almost never ride far enough to have to fill up on the trail so that helps a lot!

Right on...ya the 8DN was a lot more consistent and a lot more reliable...yes those are good gauges and what I should of got. Oh well, now I can run 7 pounds of boost, with an extra gasket. But will keep it at 6 pounds. Yes 6 pounds is safe. And I also have great fuel around, and I don't think that was my problem. Just a heads up. And another heads up, with the turbo make sure you pay attention to your oil separator. Otherwise you will have a 2 1/2 quart oil mess in a hurry!! Just try and be safe with the AFR numbers. Just trying to help, don't want to see anyone with a blew up motor. I think that 11.5 at WOT is about as lean as you should go!! I'm really hard on mine so I kept it at 10.6 even though my gauge was wrong..now with new gauge I will keep it at 10.6 at WOT. Just for safety sake. Hell I didn't buy a turbo to try and save gas mileage! Lol... I just want to be safe and running good!!
I think you will notice a big difference in the belts as well with your new MPI turbo!!

Are a lot of guys running safely at 6 pounds? Again that's what my dealer had the 7000 set at on dyno runs but on the dyno and out on the snow I'm sure are very different. Never did get a chance to drive that sled or see it run because the owner got greedy and tried to turn up the boost with just the standard bolt on kit and then obviously bad things happened lol just hoping 6psi is safe. I mean if it's gotta be 5-5.5 pounds to be safe then so be it but at the same time I wanna be able to have full potential. On a side note that same 7000 ended up getting different rods and pistons, fuel pump and loads of other things. They've been dynoing it and have it running around 21 pounds boost and in the 330hp range. They are now experimenting with an arctic cat turbo on it to see if they can make more hp..by the sounds of it there is a good chance that sled will be used for the grass drag season as long as it makes good power..sure would be neat to see a fast turbo sled out there that is something other than the traditional 1100 engine..kinda makes u feel pretty proud to be a yamaha owner lol

Are a lot of guys running safely at 6 pounds? Again that's what my dealer had the 7000 set at on dyno runs but on the dyno and out on the snow I'm sure are very different. Never did get a chance to drive that sled or see it run because the owner got greedy and tried to turn up the boost with just the standard bolt on kit and then obviously bad things happened lol just hoping 6psi is safe. I mean if it's gotta be 5-5.5 pounds to be safe then so be it but at the same time I wanna be able to have full potential. On a side note that same 7000 ended up getting different rods and pistons, fuel pump and loads of other things. They've been dynoing it and have it running around 21 pounds boost and in the 330hp range. They are now experimenting with an arctic cat turbo on it to see if they can make more hp..by the sounds of it there is a good chance that sled will be used for the grass drag season as long as it makes good power..sure would be neat to see a fast turbo sled out there that is something other than the traditional 1100 engine..kinda makes u feel pretty proud to be a yamaha owner lol

Right on!! I agree. You will be safe at 6 pounds, as long as your AFR numbers are good!! No need risk an engine for a little faster sled. 6 pounds of boost, 9.6 I think it is hp per pound of boost. So that's 57.6 extra hp. With safe AFR numbers and great fuel you will be just fine at 6 pounds. But, try it at 5-5.5 and see how much of a difference it really is, as well as with the 8DN belt you should be quite a bit faster! Than before. Boost is addicting!! And it's very hard to be satisfied with 5 pounds when you know you can run 6 pounds. So just find out the difference and see if it's really a big difference. I didn't really notice much difference between 5 and 6 pounds. But I still ran it at 6 pounds, cause I wanted max hp!! And if I had a proper gauge I would of been just fine! My best was 103mph in a 1000 feet, with the 1.6 ice ripper track. At 8600-8700rpm's. And the highest top speed was 111mph on a snow covered trail, not ice road or anything like that. Just a rail road bed that was really straight and boring. Probably had around 1-2 inches of loose snow. And all those speeds were from the speedo, not GPS.

Just out of curiousity, what does mpi rate this kit at for hp? I know with like the nytros they were always just 180hp kits from what I've always heard. Are the kits coming set at 6psi or r they less than that? Just doing some rough figuring with what you said about having an extra 57 hp roughly and my base hp with 100 miles was 137 at the crank there really is not reason that this couldn't be a 190-195hp safe running kit. Boy those numbers sound sweet..I guess 230 sounds sweeter yet but I better give it atleast a years worth of running before I spend more money lol I guess I can understand what you mean about boost being addicting..I haven't even been on my sled yet and already want more lol

Just out of curiousity, what does mpi rate this kit at for hp? I know with like the nytros they were always just 180hp kits from what I've always heard. Are the kits coming set at 6psi or r they less than that? Just doing some rough figuring with what you said about having an extra 57 hp roughly and my base hp with 100 miles was 137 at the crank there really is not reason that this couldn't be a 190-195hp safe running kit. Boy those numbers sound sweet..I guess 230 sounds sweeter yet but I better give it atleast a years worth of running before I spend more money lol I guess I can understand what you mean about boost being addicting..I haven't even been on my sled yet and already want more lol

Lol that's how it goes, more more, more...I think MPI says it's a 180hp kit. But I have seen it advertised as a 190hp kit as well. But with yours being at 137 hp and adding 57.6 hp would be 194.6 hp at the crank. So yes that sounds good, but 240 sounds better...lol...try the first one first and see what you think and get some miles on er before all that...I'm thinking of doing the same thing, if I keep it...cause that would be fun as hell, I rode Yamadog's with 240+hp and it's fast fast fast!! But how much is enough for a trail sled???

Ya I have a feeling this will make for an awesome trail machine..I really don't need or really even want more power for the trail riding because I'm just a cruiser anyways..it's just those times when u line up with the buddies and rather than competing I'd rather just totally spank them lol

I figured I would PM you instead of talking about this in the belt room...lol...
Cause this is a great post although long there is a lot of good info in this room.

Well Stud its good to hear your going ballistic!!! you say you won't need more than 6#'s HA I say you'll always want more!!! Be Careful though more than a few of us have had problems at 6#'s. The AFR #'s are important only problem is trying to read the thing when you are standing on the tail. When Yamaha Tim and I first got our sleds we added guages and found them at about 3.5 to 4 lbs of boost. Mine started having problems at that rate of boost and finally blew up even with #'s under 10.5 on the AFR. Mine now can go to 12# but I need race fuel even with the 0 compression wiseco pistons 9 #'s is awesome. As far as the 8DN vs the stock belt I had no problems at under 6#'s of boost but after the rebuild and cranking it to 7 and 9 on the switch I started blowing belts at under 200 miles. I went through 3 in 2 weekends so I am changing mine over next weekend. I finally got it back after being in the shop for 3 months for failed handwarmers, and no lights on the gauge pod.

Back