• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

TTs sled - Rapex and some other projects

obr said:
Looks like a REALLY well built aftermarket tunnel. Let me know when you have the time to build another. I don't need the rear mount basket, so you should be done in a day or two...LOL

Thanks buddy! Building the tunnel extension is not hard. What takes time is the da... :o| outer heat exchangers when you don't have the rights tools to make the correct bends/angels on the runing board kick-up.

I will post my homemade "pipe-bender" tool when tunnel is finished and installed - it will make you guys laugh BIG time :rofl:

Thanks Madsledder for sending the last rear apex plastic I needed for the apex plastic conversion - he is an awsome guy to deal with :Rockon:

I had to do a try fitment after I was done with the first round of polishing the tunnel

DSC00791.jpg

DSC00794.jpg

You know what would be REALLY cool? If you painted the tunnel, right where the tuning forks are cut in. Paint the backplate in the same colour as you have your sled....would be :bling

obr said:
You know what would be REALLY cool? If you painted the tunnel, right where the tuning forks are cut in. Paint the backplate in the same colour as you have your sled....would be :bling

Tunnel would have been painted if we had a close powder coating possibility. I am afraid that a normal paint job would peal.

I would love to have the tunnel painted flat black, with the outer heat exchangers, extension sides/drop brackets and and side re-enforcement plates polished aluminium

Next tunnel project will be painted- because runing boards (looks like F-bomb inserts) are already polished ;)! Then I don't have to worry about paint pealing

I've finally done something I should have done when I changed to a 3.0 pitch track - I installed a set of anti-stab wheels. I have been pushing it for a long time - you could tell by the wear on the rail-caps. I thought about cutting of the rails and rail-caps, but I will leave it like this for the first few rides - if there is any vibration in powder conditions - I will be cutting of the rails and rail-caps down to where the hyfax starts

DSC00800.jpg

DSC00801.jpg

The tunnel is off to the welder - I am hoping to get it back soon.

I have also started to wet sand all body parts. I hope to have them ready for paint soon. What a boring job :o|

Project is a little out off my hands at the moment - waiting for other people doing the work (welding and painting)

But I took the time to install the keyswitch and tether. Fuel tank cowling is "crying" for a paint job - LOL

DSC00804.jpg

I played a little with mounting of the Hallman boost controller. I would love to have it at this location, but I guess I will get boost spikes with my rear mount. This location of the boostcontroller would be a good excuse to go mid mount ;)!

DSC00806.jpg

Before tunnel went off to the welder I fabricated the bumper from an old Ski-Doo zx-chassie bumper. I really like the design of this bumper - no charp edges and it is bent upwards so you can get your hands between the bumper and snow flap when you get stuck.

I have used the same bumper on the MPI tunnel extension I have on the sled at the moment.

It is kind of ironic having a Ski-Doo bumper behind the Yamaha tunning fork emblem on the tunnel extension - :moon:

DSC00808.jpg

It will be welded to the sides (tunnel extension/drop brackets) like this

DSC00809.jpg

Looking good

The sled is looking good. I saw you were eyeing up the mid mount over on snowest. Does look sweet. Would have gone that route from paul at impulse but I dont think he has a vector header. The mid mount would be a world of difference to the rear mount. Well worth the money IMO. When you norwegians start getting snow?

Re: Looking good

dirk_03 said:
The sled is looking good. I saw you were eyeing up the mid mount over on snowest. Does look sweet. Would have gone that route from paul at impulse but I dont think he has a vector header. The mid mount would be a world of difference to the rear mount. Well worth the money IMO. When you norwegians start getting snow?

Thanks buddy! We should start to get snow soon - but it will be december before we get enough snow for ridding :o| Weather has been cold for quit a while, but we got hot weather again. And the little snow we had is meltet.

I had a impulse setup (header, down pipe and turbo hanger/support), but parts where sold with the Bender kit I had :o| .

Paul @ Impulse has given me a price for new parts - header, down pipe, turbo hanger, GT2860RS and needed hoses and fittings. It is a little out of my price range at the moment. Because you can add 25% import tax and shipping costs on top of that price. I am not 100% sure I am ready to put more money into the old RX-1.

An other very interesting setup is MCX new "Nytro-style setup" for the apex. It can easily be adapted to the RX-1. It is also very tempting. You get to keep to seat, gast tank and you get a muffler - and no heat issues.

Here is their setup

Apexturbo014.jpg

apex002.jpg

MCX will make a conversion kit for the old rear mounts to go with this setup. I am still waiting for a price from MCX.

How is the new header coming along?

I got a pm from Rick - guess we will see him back on the dark side soon - LOL

:) great work buddy :)
Let it snow....

TT: I've looked at the pic, and the only thing one would need to convert it to the nytro style kit, is probably a new header, and a bracket for the turbo to sit in? The rest is just...bits and pieces....?

Here is a little sneak peak after paint job was done. Painted in flat black. A "BIG THANK YOU" to Tommy T (nick to a friend here on TY) ;) for painting the parts for my project! :Rockon:

DSC00816.jpg

DSC00818.jpg

DSC00516.jpg

DSC00827.jpg

Back