• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tug Hill, Canadian trails and a broken down 2011 Apex SE

ArcticPilot

I live in Ottawa, Ontario and as a result primarily ride the trails in eastern Ontario. I have friends in northern NewYork state who ride pretty much exclusively on the Tug Hill and Old Forge trails. They kept telling me how nice Tug Hill is and I should ride with them down there one winter so I joined a NY sled club then went down to Ogdensburg, registered my sled with the NY DMV and was good to go. Got to say the NY trail pass is pretty cheap compared to what we pay in Ontario. Well as it turned out the trails this year on Tug hill have not been the greatest and so far no Tug hill for me. So there is my buddies complaining about the lack of snow in NY so I suggested they come up to my neck of the woods this past weekend for the first time ever and ride here, heck I already have 1000 miles on the Apex so far this year. I have a cottage to use in Calabogie just outside of Ottawa and it took my friends about an hour and forty to get there from Ogdensburg. They brought up a 2011 Apex SE with about 100 miles on it and 2 Polaris machines a 2012 PRO-R 800 and a 2012 600 Swithcback each with 100 miles total. After a quick 85 mile run saturday night we were ready sunday to do a 250 mile tour. Well the 2011 Apex got about 20 miles and all the air leaked right out of the Fox suspension system and no matter how much we pumped that shock with that little bicycle pump no air would stay in the system. That Apex looked pretty strange sitting on its #*$&@ like a lowrider car. Needless to say my friend was not amused, his trip was over before it even started and he just dropped 250 bucks on a trail pass for Ontario that he barely used. Well he left for NY state with his wounded Apex and myself and the Polaris duo headed out with me playing tour guide on the 40th Apex. All in we did 450 miles in 2 and a half days and I think what impressed my NY friends was the fact that when riding around here there is very little traffic on the trails. Yesterday when we did about 160 miles we saw but 4 sleds all day. They must have liked the trails because they are coming up again next week but this time I want to take them on a trip up to North Bay, those are fun trails with lots of snow. It was great to have them up here for the first time and now they know what its like I hope they make it a habit to come every year and bring as many others as they can and who knows I still might make that Tug Hill trip yet.

think you passed me on the k and p on sunday

was your group heading up the k and p trail on sunday towards renfrew, I thought I saw your group pass me by. if you passed two apexes that was my wife and I. Glad to see your friends had fun. people in upper new york state should really come across and take advantage of some great riding in eastern ontario, only a hop , skip and jump away from the border. well worth the drive in my opinion.

Why didn't he stop off at Arnprior Sportland? Maybe they could have helped out? Re: the shock...that would be my primary reason for choosing the standard over the SE. That sucks though.

Btw, did you happen to try the E102? The club website says that a section is closed due to logging, but the OFSC interactive map shows it as open. :dunno:

CANADA

Well, I have posted on this before. Although I live in NJ I do maintain a place in Tug Hill for sledding. On a good weekend Tug Hill is a decent place to ride if you can ride back trails and avoid the traffic. I will say this in all honesty, NOTHING COMPARES TO CANADA, NOTHING. I have friends in Cumberland Ontario and have ridden out from there to Quebec on many occasions. Most of my Canada riding is in the Val D'Or Quebec area. There is little worry about police harassment, Yahoo racer wanna bees on the trails, just flat out ridnig. Just make sure you lock your stuff up because in some places the theft is an issue. One of the most important issues is that the Canadians WELCOME SLEDDERS where the general population of residents in NY do not. The police view the sledders as a profit center and rely heavily on ticket revenue to fill their coffers. In Canadian towns you pull in, gas up , park, eat and not worry that some hot pencil cop from one of several different agencys is looking to pick you pocket.

Enough ranting. Everyone in the sledding sport should experience Canada just once, then you will be hooked and write rants like this one. LOL LOL enjoy..

Jersey Joe

That was us heading up the K&P on Sunday, I seem to remember your 2 sleds as well, I always notice the Apex's when they go by. In fact we only got as far as the gas station in Renfrew when the SE lost all its air.

I thought about Sportland but they were closed on Sunday and my friend wanted to get it to the dealer in NY for monday morning.

We did take part of the E102, the section that goes from north of Plevna across to Black Donald. It was in great shape and no logging that I could see.

I and my buddys have been riding in canada for yrs.WARNING do not go, unless you want to go there all the time, you will be so spoil, just got back sunday and going back thurs. we ride st. adale, st dount , mt lauie, deivls mt. those area I know my spelling is way off.

HEY STEVE

Hey Steve: you should try Val D'Or. I have done the places you just came froma nd now we go to Val D'or. We are headed there on Feb 18th to Feb 25th.

I was in the same area Saturday. Left stittsville, went up the A trail to almonte, past pakenham, white lake and into Calabogie. Well Calabogie's gas station (the only one I could find) was out of gas. Thought I may be able to make it to the next town we left. Got turned around leaving Calabogie and found someone logging just before my sled was about to die. Bought some gas (turns out these sleds will run if needed on chainsaw gas!!). Great trails. got turned around a bit and kinda ran out of gas but great ride still.

I had a leaky fox shock and the guy to serviced it told me to put it under water to see where it was leaking. I found the leak and was able to replace the O ring was was out riding that afternoon.

I've heard that Calabogie was out of gas a couple of times this season, but I don't know why. As far as I know, there are 2 gas stations in Calabogie, one is Munford's, which is located right on Calabogie Rd. The other, if it's still in operation, is on Mill Street, close to the Calabogie Lodge Resort on Black Bay.

Yes, the one close to the lodge. I did not know there was another one. It was my first time there. I found it once I got back to town.

too bad your buddy had that shock problem but that is the main reason i did not want those shocks. once they lose air your screwed. it's not like a spare tire and you can just switch it out. at least with a regular shock blown you can still ride it on the spring to get you back.

I agree, nothing like Quebec riding especially in the Val D'or/Abitit area. i'm orginally from Barraute just a stone's throw from there and they do have the best riding anywhere. Ontario also has some great riding. i'd been going to the Burk Falls/North Bay area for the last couple of weekends and going back to Sunridge next weekend. not many places closer to me then that to do any riding this year, piss poor winter all over. :letsnow:

Back