• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tunnel Dammage Due to Ice

Buddy of mine designed a plate to put up there after he had tunnel damage. It pop rivets in. He's gonna send me one to install this summer. But I'm very good at each stop of getting the ice out.

Have you ever been up in that part of the sled?

Gas tank off, heat shield off, likely header has to come off.

Any thing hiding in there that makes the job tricky?
Ms
The header is the worst part. I wonder if a guy was to transfer that pattern for rivets onto a piece of steel. Could put the piece of steel on top of tunnel then rivet from under the tunnel up? Not sure if a rivet gun would fit there either with driveshaft in way.

The header is the worst part. I wonder if a guy was to transfer that pattern for rivets onto a piece of steel. Could put the piece of steel on top of tunnel then rivet from under the tunnel up? Not sure if a rivet gun would fit there either with driveshaft in way.

I was going to ask if you think a hand pop rivet gun would fit under the jack shaft? If it would going at it from the top would be easiest.

Never been in there to size it up?
MS

I was going to ask if you think a hand pop rivet gun would fit under the jack shaft? If it would going at it from the top would be easiest.

Never been in there to size it up?
MS
I have a real good hand rivet gun and it sucks doing any steel rivets especially there where its pretty flexible. Going to want to use a air/hydraulic. Does a better job.

Thanks - that header takes up a ton of space in there. By the look of things the lower bolts look like a bugger to get at. Is there a need for a long box end wrench to sneak in there?

MS

https://ty4stroke.com/threads/my-rtx-le-50th-build-thread-rockerdan.149801/page-31#post-1446785

img_3260-jpg.142550

img_3254-jpg.142547

img_3256-jpg.142548

Nice job.
Spoke to Travis on Tuesday and have a bundle of items ordered.
Quite a bit of rubber on the underside of the exchanger tubes. Lots of heave eh....

MS

The BOP protectors do help protect the rubber hoses from direct impact/cuts from ice but they do not protect the tunnel from damage. Another (more likely) failure mode of the rubber hoses is due to a large amount of bending of the tunnel right above the heat exchanger due to impact from large pcs of ice (shown in Sevey's photos). When the tunnel in this region gets pushed upward, the rubber hoses get stretched/stressed making them even mre susceptible to damage. I made a 3/16" thk aluminum plate which covers the tunnel from side to side and 12"long to protect the tunnel area in the region of the hoses and right above the heat exchanger. I milled slots in it to match up with the louvers and incorporated the rubber hose protectors using 1/8" thk aluminum channel. The plate is mounted in a similar way to the BOP protectors and I added two more bolts to secure it. There is a 3/8" x 3/8" aluminum bar welded to the width of the plate right above the heat exchanger for added strength. I will post a few photos when I have the rear skid out for servicing. It adds a few pounds but knowing the area is protected adds huge peace of mind.

Was looking at some pics last night thinking about a plate to fabricate up there? Did you drill out the existing rivets that fasten the top of the heat exchanger to the tunnel

Ya - when you get a chance would like to see some pics
MS

20190329_102637.jpg 20190329_103429.jpg Here is a plate I designed and used to strengthen my tunnel. Most of the sidewinders I run with did this also. You still have to clear your tunnel of ice in the morning. I carry a small rubber hammer which works great.

Back