• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Turbo Dynamics Tunes

synaptic3e

Extreme
Country
USA
I've got my ECU out and ready to ship to TD. I bought my sled with the following and ran it last season, adding some things and fixing others: I have a modified stock muffler and Dalton clutching along with Stingray Mods helix. I also upgraded my BOV to a Synapse (fastest response on the market)...Currently running a Dynojet power commander (came with it) I added the wideband kit and run the software for self tune and the tuning works great if used correctly (I own a car tuner shop so that parts easy). Boost control on the other hand.... is what we in the industry refer to as a dial a bomb... again...it came with it. I don't want to add another box ....even though I probably have an HKS boost controller kicking around...So I want to go with having the ECU controlling boost for many reasons...safety being #1.

So here is my question: I can't figure out with the difference is between some of the tunes listed....Max spool vs Power trail.... I plan to make a CAI and later I will build an intercooler and some hard pipes. I want to run max of 91 octane since that's what is readily available where I ride.

So my thoughts are Max Spool 17? or Power trail 270? HP#s appear to be similar???

TIA for the input!

max spool 17 , faster spool tune , good on 91 might need little lucus octane boost ,

Turbo Dynamics website will yield you all the answers you are looking for.

I have the multimap bundle (Eco trail, power trail, Max 17,MaxSpool 17 and something like Max 19. I ran MaxSpool 17 on 91 last season with absolutely zero issues, I never even tried Eco or Power. I would just go for that, for a stock mod muffler it ciuld be MaxSpool 16 but still, call up the TD guys they will clear it up. WAY safer to have a tuned factory ECU controlling everything!

"Dial a Bomb" Not a good marketing slogan. LOL
Call TD. They will answer the phone then answer all your questions.
If you want ONLY 91 or 93 max without playing with additives, i think Powertrail is the safe way out.

I ride areas where i do 300 miles a day with only hunting camps for gas, so i personally wanted nothing more then Ecotrail.
Do i want more HP....................................who doesn't?

It also sounds like you have the means to play & dial things in so keep us posted on your findings
Trying different things can only help....................unless you blow the motor then it only helps us. LOL

I've got my ECU out and ready to ship to TD. I bought my sled with the following and ran it last season, adding some things and fixing others: I have a modified stock muffler and Dalton clutching along with Stingray Mods helix. I also upgraded my BOV to a Synapse (fastest response on the market)...Currently running a Dynojet power commander (came with it) I added the wideband kit and run the software for self tune and the tuning works great if used correctly (I own a car tuner shop so that parts easy). Boost control on the other hand.... is what we in the industry refer to as a dial a bomb... again...it came with it. I don't want to add another box ....even though I probably have an HKS boost controller kicking around...So I want to go with having the ECU controlling boost for many reasons...safety being #1.

So here is my question: I can't figure out with the difference is between some of the tunes listed....Max spool vs Power trail.... I plan to make a CAI and later I will build an intercooler and some hard pipes. I want to run max of 91 octane since that's what is readily available where I ride.

So my thoughts are Max Spool 17? or Power trail 270? HP#s appear to be similar???

TIA for the input!
If getting good 91 isn't a problem and your mod stock muffler isn't too restrictive, then by all means go Max Spool 17. To get the full benefit of the MS 17 a CAI & 3 Bar Map Sensor are recommended. You sound wise enough to realize if you get questionable fuel, stay out of it. With the proper components, MS 17 is considerably stronger than powertrail.

You shouldn't need any of the power commander items you have on the sled.

you can tt any of the guys at td and they'll point you in the right direction.
the max spool 16 is the highest hp tune you can run with the stock muffler, but you will have to have a cai and 3bar map sensor. if you can use a performance muffler in your location without getting a ticket? i'd use max spool 17 lean. i ran it last yr and got 23.6mpg

If getting good 91 isn't a problem and your mod stock muffler isn't too restrictive, then by all means go Max Spool 17. To get the full benefit of the MS 17 a CAI & 3 Bar Map Sensor are recommended. You sound wise enough to realize if you get questionable fuel, stay out of it. With the proper components, MS 17 is considerably stronger than powertrail.
Thanks for the info, regarding power trail vs MS17...

If they did I wouldn’t be asking here, thanks for taking the time to point that out.
I thought you were looking for the HP differences between the tunes and that is easy to see on the SRX/Sidewinder page.

My bad...

ill still use it to log and make sure AFR is where I want it... if it’s not, I’ll be able to tweak it...

Is your power commander able to adjust timing?
I know the Viper power commander needs an ignition module too do so.
One key element as you know with these smaller turbos is the addition of a larger intercooler. They run into poor efficiency quickly, pumping hot air. Running a CAI helps, but a larger intercooler will undoubtedly help stave off deto further.
I’m a little bit surprised that no one has yet to offer a divorced wastegate flange, allowing the use of a screamer pipe. Now those are fun! Quiet when not at full boost, but bark when your on the flipper. It’s like a DrJeckel & MrHyde scenario.

Thanks for the info, regarding power trail vs MS17...

I'll throw my 5 cents in the kitty here as imo these octane recommendations are very subjective. I'll share what I know from experience.

Max 17 makes 17lbs of boost. Max Spool 17 also makes 17 lbs of boost, but spools up faster and a is a little quicker/stronger than Max 17. Max Spool Lean 17 is the strongest of the three and was designed to run at temps over 30F, hence the lean designation. Running this tune hard in colder temps with too low of an octane can create issues. As others can attest, driven like an old lady at easy speeds, Max Lean 17 will yield record breaking and heroic mpg figures.

If you plan to use stock fuel pump, here are my reccomendations: Can Max Spool 17 run on 91? Yes, if you are riding your mother on the back. Heres why .... the sticker on the pump says 91, but is it? Perhaps that seasonal gas station wants to move last years fuel before getting a fresh drop. Sometimes you never know.

Spirited trail riding maintaining speeds 90 - 100 mph with a few snaps into the 120s every now and then....you need 94-95 octane to be safe imo.

Now lets say you are a guy that wants to show his buddies who the big buck is in the deer yard. (I know someone like this) Let's say you are a monster buck that doesnt discriminate or show prejudice towards anyone who challenges you. Lets say you encounter a situation where a group of little spike horns line up ... and one after another they challenge you to a drag race, hoping to beat you and have their way with one of the does in your harem.

Let's say you are a monster buck that doesnt care to share any of his does. But,..... you are a fair monster buck, you are a monster buck that shows no prejudice in putting opponents in their proper hierarchy. Hence, you take on all challengers and run back to back to back long pulls of about a mile in length. One by one, you show the spike horns your rear flap. In this last scenario, I would be at 97-98 octane. If you upgraded to a higher volume fuel pump ($200), then you could get by on 95-96 octane.

CAVEAT: These are only MY opinions and they are based on my experience at sea level in cold temps. I run TD tunes, but I'm not affiliated with TD in any way and could not spot the owner, in a crowd of two. In my experience, when comparing comparable tunes, the TD tunes are the last to show knock and in my neck of the woods, they have a reputation for being the most reliable. Call TD and tell them the type of riding you do and you will have no issues.

When you call, I wouldn't mention monster bucks, spike horns and how you like does....

Back