• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Turbo, Yes or No?

Shainsaw171

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2003 F7 Firecat
2015 Yamaha SR Viper MTX 153
Hi all! New to the site as far as posting goes, but have been a fan in the background for quite a while. On to the issue at hand,
Sled: 2015 Viper Mtx 153
Primary: magnetic adjustable SSI weights, BOP soft start spring
Secondary: 43 degree helix, stock spring, stock wrap (dont remember the #)
Belt; 8JP
GGB Trail can

I've recently run into a great deal on a MPI low elevation kit and have gone back and forth on whether to move ahead with the upgrade. I've read posts all the way back to 2015 regarding turbo vipers, and its basically left me with more questions than answers. Heres a few to start..

1) Install looks pretty painless, basically is is as close to plug and play as one can get? Not looking to have to remap fueling and such.
2) how much of a pain is it to get the clutching correct? Am not much of a clutch tinkerer, but I can tell when the settings are "off". Don't want to spend my free riding time chasing the rev limiter.
3) Reliability? Belt life? (Heard stories)

I could ask much more, but will start there... any help would be greatly appreciated!

FYI MPI is out of buisness there is no longer any parts available or tech support. I personally think there stuff was junk if your gonna turbo your Viper call Dave at Hurricane Prefomance. I have had his 190 hp kit on my 2014 Viper for 4 yrs now with zero problems.

I am aware of MPI, and I'll look into the Hurricane kit also... Thanks. Tough part is any way you slice it it's still a pretty good chunk of change to dish out. (Although I'm sure it's totally worth it)

Absolutely, I would look for a used Wider that's probably the best option.

If you could trade to Winder for not much more, that is by far the best option.
Your Viper is a 15 so the rods are good.
Also remember, many Vipers had starter/gear issues, Winders haven't.
I have never had any issue with MPI products, thought it was good quality.

Back