• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Unstable in windblown snow?

Arcticflier

Hi, I just got back from riding this weekend in windblown powder with a crust on top. While riding in the crusty powder with the Mt. Lite yesterday, I was riding along and it felt like it wanted to digin the skis and flip. Sure enough the right ski dug in and flipped the machine, I went flying! Has anyone else noticed this while riding in crusty snow? Is there anything that I can do to help this problem? I live in Alaska where our snow is often windblown and if I cant come up with a solution will have to trade in the lite, even though I love it in all other aspects.
I was riding with guys with a Renegade and a Summit RS and they were both stable in the same conditions.
Thanks for any help.

Not sure, but make sure to check the ski alignment, I found my wifes to be out of wack straight from the factory, that might amplify the roll and flip sensation as the snow gets crustier. Just a place to start looking.

Does it have stock skiis and runners on it?

Exact same thing happenend to me. Dug in and flipped me at 30 mph. I blame it on the deep keel of the ski for breaking through the snow. Will be swapping the skis next year.

I added the mountain light skis on my fx and experienced exactly the same as arcticflier describes under such snow conditions. Something must be wrong with the shape on this skis I think... Season is almoust gone now but I will put on my stock skis for the next winter. The yamaha mountain skis can be dangerous under snow conditions as described.

Also, there are reportet the same from apex mountain and rs mountain owners.

This happened to me when I demo'd the sled at Rabbit ears
last spring... (how embarassing) At the time I thought it was my
inexperience with a rider forward sled, it was even worse when
I got on a hill coming down.. eeek pucker up.

I haven't had any crusty snow this season yet(its over for me)

Skis have alot to do with it. I run Simmons on my FX, SlyDogs on my wifes Mountain. Change the skis and it will help. Also, the narrow ski stance doesn't help in that environment.

aksteepndeep said:
Skis have alot to do with it. I run Simmons on my FX, SlyDogs on my wifes Mountain. Change the skis and it will help. Also, the narrow ski stance doesn't help in that environment.
How do the SlyDogs work in deep powder? Did you buy them locally or did you order them?
I see that your from Wasilla, did you make it to Arctic Man?

ArcticFlier

I ordered the skis direct from SlyDog. They are a great ski. I think Team Sled Shed may be a dealer, but I wanted to get exactly what I wanted. I went to Paxson two weeks ago and spent the week riding. I had been to A-man 6 years in a row and go tired if the scene. It is always a week late for good snow, but the terrain is awsome. My parents took up my RV and enclosed to the event last week. Maybee next year. Good luck

known issue....

Had this happen to me all the time last year whenever I would steal the wifes sled for a spin.

The snow conditions (hard pack or crust top with sugar/pow underneith) have a lot to do with it. What I noticed is that one ski would break through while the other floats causing you to react and throw your weight to the otherside witch then the other ski submarines and you start to wobble or roll the sled. I loaded the spring tention up on the front and centered the ski's the changed the ski's to slydogs, and simmons... No real change. (went back to stockers actually) I believe it is the nature of the phazer mt. great ergos but they will also bite you in spring/windblown conditions.

The yamaha mountain ski is known for this, the super tipy phazer set up just makes it worse.
Most of the very aggressive deep keel skis do this to some deggree.
I did widen the ski stance took out the sway bar and crank the front shock up tighter----- big improvement.
New skis for this season simons probably, they are hard to beat.

Yamaha mountain skis are crap. Everyone's been saying this for a while. Replace them for safety reasons.

Is it caused by the skis, rider-forward position, the conditions, or a combination of all. I had the Apex Mountain Skis on my 06 Attak, and almost flipped the sled several times under the conditions described in this post. During the same ride, I saw and Apex with stock skis that had rolled when one ski broke through the hard pack. I'm not sure that any ski can prevent this from happening. It seems to be a combination of rider forward, sitting higher and conditions. OMO

Forgot to mention earlier----- the VK professional skis fit the same carbides and ski loops as the mountain ski I have them on my RX1 bolt right on float better in powder and have way less darting in crusty snow------ cheap fix.

Cheers.......

I have rode in such conditions and found I needed to go against my better judgment and increase my speed to get better floatation. It seems crazy but it works, the faster the ski is going on the snow the better it stays on top.

Back