• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

upper gear bushing

Most top gears sold now have 3 holes drilled through into center bushing from outside. Should allow more oil to get into bushing? Plus, with the 12 oz. of oil in the case, I think there is a tornado of oil being sprayed all over so I think that bushing gets plenty of oil.
I know when I filled my NEW case, 12oz got me pretty much to CENTER of sight glass....I was thinking maybe adding more oil next fall when i pull mine apart.....making it to TOP of sight glass.....I dont see it being an issue, and maybe abit more will help?

I still want to see how my 18 stock gear looks after this season....It was the ones with ONE hole drilled but was a Fck-UP and never was drilled thru bushing...grrr....

You would think the 3 hole will help, but maybe so much power we need better bushing material as mentioned in the thread. I don't mind replacing each fall. As long as it gets us through a season without issue.

Dan

I do like how the 22 top keeps the chain further away from the center post. Less dogleg too. If I was out there radar running the 22 is a no brainer. Sled on 270 will pull big speeds with ease. But for my tight trails, I am loving being back to 21 this season, and my belt life is great now. I think most of that is the Ultimax and lowered offset, but Im guessing the lowered gearing also has a small roll in my belt life too.

I know my chain with 21 is near its end of stretch at around 4000 miles now. I do know the stretch has all but stopped at this point. So I just am not sure if I should go another season or not with it. I am thinking It would be smart to get new chain and gear for next season, just to be safe.

Dan
I'm attempting a switch today from 24-50 to 24-48, hopefully the chain works. The 24-50 is great for hard accel and belt life. I have 1000 hard miles on the 8DN and it is just starting to cord. None blown yet. Running 250-290hp.
The 24-50 obviously leaves much to be desired on top as the best GPS on hard pack snow has been 113
I would like to fool with more chain and gear setup's but these gears and chain are pricey!!

I can only speak for Cats - stock ones came with 24/50. I think Cat lawyers must have had a hand in that decision (either that or they didn't want belt issues) LOL. If I bought a brand new ZR9000 and I wanted more giggles, the one thing I'd do first is gear it up. IMO the stock 24/50 is way low (but good for belt life) but really inhibits what the sled should be. Turbos love pulling against load. The sled changes night and day after gearing up, almost to the point of saying you can't believe it's the same sled.
I ran 22/37 last year and it was really fast but hard on belts so this season I ran 21/38 and belt life returned to acceptable level.
I don't think the same chain will work 24/50 vs. 24/48. I bet it will be too long.

I know when I filled my NEW case, 12oz got me pretty much to CENTER of sight glass....I was thinking maybe adding more oil next fall when i pull mine apart.....making it to TOP of sight glass.....I dont see it being an issue, and maybe abit more will help?

I still want to see how my 18 stock gear looks after this season....It was the ones with ONE hole drilled but was a Fck-UP and never was drilled thru bushing...grrr....

You would think the 3 hole will help, but maybe so much power we need better bushing material as mentioned in the thread. I don't mind replacing each fall. As long as it gets us through a season without issue.

Dan
I d

Dan
I don't have have a winder but same chain case. I keep the oil level on top of the glass and run the Polaris gear oil. I have 27,000 klm on my top gear without hole. I have the HYVO chain and gears from Bikeman. I inspect it every season and no wear on the shaft, chain or gear. Never had To adjust tension. Boosted Crosstour 2014 300+hp methanol injection.

I d

I don't have have a winder but same chain case. I keep the oil level on top of the glass and run the Polaris gear oil. I have 27,000 klm on my top gear without hole. I have the HYVO chain and gears from Bikeman. I inspect it every season and no wear on the shaft, chain or gear. Never had To adjust tension. Boosted Crosstour 2014 300+hp methanol injection.
Does the Bikeman gear bushing look to be same as stock?

I d

Assuming you upgraded to a manual tensioner ? L

Have a friend that is using Polaris oil too with good results.

Might I remind you of the F1100 debacle. Over half those untuned sleds blew belts every 500 miles or under, far less than the Sidewinder issues. They even came out with the “Big Fin” secondary that did nothing to help. It was all alignment issues.
YES! And that big fin turned out to be SLOWER. IMO

Dan that is a lot of dogleg in your pic. That chain will loose a little of that when engaged. Maybe a smudge more with another bit of turn? Not saying 3/4 is wrong just thinking thats a lot of dogleg. The shims i get BUT i really feel you want some wiggle room. Not so sure I would run them as I trust the design as is.. No offense by any means.

I can only speak for Cats - stock ones came with 24/50. I think Cat lawyers must have had a hand in that decision (either that or they didn't want belt issues) LOL. If I bought a brand new ZR9000 and I wanted more giggles, the one thing I'd do first is gear it up. IMO the stock 24/50 is way low (but good for belt life) but really inhibits what the sled should be. Turbos love pulling against load. The sled changes night and day after gearing up, almost to the point of saying you can't believe it's the same sled.
I ran 22/37 last year and it was really fast but hard on belts so this season I ran 21/38 and belt life returned to acceptable level.
I don't think the same chain will work 24/50 vs. 24/48. I bet it will be too long.
I don't know about that. Depends on where you ride and clutching ... I swapped to 21/38 this year and just jumped on my buddies new 19rr. That gearing just rips and makes the sled feel so light...even stock wow.. wicked threw the twisties ... now get out on the open railbed and you realize where the taller gears shine for sure ..200kph and running out of room lol

Yup, and 22/37 is even more giggles but destroys belts. If you are ok with shucking belts, try 22/37 and see what I mean.

1060 miles, 24T
Planning on using both of those washers on inside of gear with a half-thickness on the outside. Keeps gears more fully meshed.

Attachments

• IMG_0534.JPG
    IMG_0534.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0533.JPG
    IMG_0533.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 185
I'll tell you tomorrow as I have a 48 on the way.

Where you finding these thrust washers in "half thickness". Seems smart to me, take out some play.

Dan
Not easy to find Dan, I called the local automotive store yesterday and they couldn't get one. I rooted through my junk drawer in the shop and found one .025 thick, which is what it needs to be when both of the .060's are used on the inside.
I'll look more today and let you know if I find something.

Back