• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

upper gear bushing

I hope to ride a CAT Turbo in a couple days here, It will be interesting to feel how a stocker feels and maybe feel if the engine braking is more then mine, Im always after more of that.

So I was certainly thinking of a new upper gear, are all the new 21t upper gear part numbers updated to the 3 hole style? Anyone got part number?

Also, if the chain is near end of tensioner....you guys think its done stretching now or should I replace? Man when they are new they need ALOT of tightening which is sorta pain in #*$&@.

Dan

I hope to ride a CAT Turbo in a couple days here, It will be interesting to feel how a stocker feels and maybe feel if the engine braking is more then mine, Im always after more of that.

So I was certainly thinking of a new upper gear, are all the new 21t upper gear part numbers updated to the 3 hole style? Anyone got part number?

Also, if the chain is near end of tensioner....you guys think its done stretching now or should I replace? Man when they are new they need ALOT of tightening which is sorta pain in #*$&@.

Dan
Dan I did purchase a new chain and a 21 and 22 top from speedwerx. This was about a month ago. Both gears had three holes in them. Running 22 top for 1200 miles after changing chain and top gear at 6k. I have not checked it yet but did drain oil and split case open last week. Had to make some adjustments with clutching but actually like the 22/top with stock bottom. But honestly where does a guy really see the diff or get a chance to hold that long.

Just got my sled back after the top gear give out. They replaced most of the parts in the chain case and the chain case itself

The new top gear from Yamaha has 3 holes drilled through the gear and the bushing. My old gear had one hole in the gear but not through the bushing.

A lot of slack comes from chain wearing into gears and links themselves just wearing. This style of chain will easily show stretch. If it stretches it will kink when held in air. It’s very distinctive. Should hang perfectly straight and all links flexible. Obviously any broken links replace chain but haven’t heard of any of that with hyvo. I don’t replace chain unless changing gears or kinked.

CAT vs YAMAHA gears: Maybe there is something to the clutch harmonics or back shifting, but my observations tell a very simple story.

1. I easily have seen a 10:1 ratio of Yams to Cats in my area. I haven't seen a '19 Cat this year.
2. My Cat dealer down street admitted he does very well with Cats because most of his customers trade them in every other year around 4000 miles. (same with Polaris dealer down the street BTW). Yamaha guys tend to put more miles on because we are used to that from our past sleds.
3. Yammi guys are WAAAAY more truthful about the misgivings. One Cat guy at dealer told me he's been "trouble free" until a friend reminded him he blew his chain case. I'm no expert on "trouble free" scenarios, but blowing your chain case would to me be.............................TROUBLE!
4. Yammi guys, especially because of TY, help each other out more then any other brand so we hear ALL the issues.

5. OR..............................maybe we just BITCH more

The more you monkey the more you can (Yamaha guys) especially clutching, and worry like a women

CAT vs YAMAHA gears: Maybe there is something to the clutch harmonics or back shifting, but my observations tell a very simple story.

1. I easily have seen a 10:1 ratio of Yams to Cats in my area. I haven't seen a '19 Cat this year.
2. My Cat dealer down street admitted he does very well with Cats because most of his customers trade them in every other year around 4000 miles. (same with Polaris dealer down the street BTW). Yamaha guys tend to put more miles on because we are used to that from our past sleds.
3. Yammi guys are WAAAAY more truthful about the misgivings. One Cat guy at dealer told me he's been "trouble free" until a friend reminded him he blew his chain case. I'm no expert on "trouble free" scenarios, but blowing your chain case would to me be.............................TROUBLE!
4. Yammi guys, especially because of TY, help each other out more then any other brand so we hear ALL the issues.

5. OR..............................maybe we just BITCH more
I was told by a Cat dealer in Timmins last year that the stat is in fact 10:1, as you stated.

AC had turbos around for awhile, Yamaha didn’t ,now that they came out with one, so the Yamaha faithful got excited and purchased them. Cheaper than building them. When the sidewinder came out there was hardly no advertisement for the Thundercats, Because AC wanted to push the new winder, AC is making money they don’t care how many YAMAHA s or ARctic cats are out there, same bank. .Yamaha is the spouse.

Dan

Dan, 21 tooth 15 wide upper sprocket with oil holes = Cat p/n 1702-490. Think there might be a backorder right now?

I will brainstorm with you. Could it be that smaller upper gear(20-21-22) VS 24 tooth wear more on the bushing? The chain has more force on the smaller gear vs bigger gear. Think about the track that runs on bigger idler wheels ,its running more free and more HP to the ground VS smaller wheels. Also if the chain is stretch and you have nearly nothing left to go on the chain adjuster the chain is wearing more on the upper gear becouse of the angle of the chain. Less angle on the chain less stress on the upper gear and more hp to the track and ground.

IMO - things that contribute to load on upper sprocket bushing:
- size (weight) of that sprocket
- length (weight) of chain
- chain tension
- RPM
- amount of traction of track (unstudded vs. studded: more traction = higher load on chain case & belt)

The more you monkey the more you can (Yamaha guys) especially clutching, and worry like a women
Might I remind you of the F1100 debacle. Over half those untuned sleds blew belts every 500 miles or under, far less than the Sidewinder issues. They even came out with the “Big Fin” secondary that did nothing to help. It was all alignment issues.

Dan I did purchase a new chain and a 21 and 22 top from speedwerx. This was about a month ago. Both gears had three holes in them. Running 22 top for 1200 miles after changing chain and top gear at 6k. I have not checked it yet but did drain oil and split case open last week. Had to make some adjustments with clutching but actually like the 22/top with stock bottom. But honestly where does a guy really see the diff or get a chance to hold that long.
I do like how the 22 top keeps the chain further away from the center post. Less dogleg too. If I was out there radar running the 22 is a no brainer. Sled on 270 will pull big speeds with ease. But for my tight trails, I am loving being back to 21 this season, and my belt life is great now. I think most of that is the Ultimax and lowered offset, but Im guessing the lowered gearing also has a small roll in my belt life too.

I know my chain with 21 is near its end of stretch at around 4000 miles now. I do know the stretch has all but stopped at this point. So I just am not sure if I should go another season or not with it. I am thinking It would be smart to get new chain and gear for next season, just to be safe.

Dan

Back