• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

upper gear bushing

STAIN

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2022 SIDEWINDER LTX GT
I have my sidewinder apart for a track change and noticed even at only 340 miles the upper gear bushing has worn half the primary material off. Has anyone found a longer lasting bushing for this gear? Or a different gear with a better bushing?

Don't worry about the coating on the bushing.
Put it in and run it.

GetFileAttachment

I agree. When its wore bad all the coating is gone and about .015 measurable taper. 2500-3000mi is what I have been going before replacing bushing.

Not saying that i think it is bad already,just wondering if there is a better replacement. Best time to upgrade would be now. I was looking at some graphite impregnated bushings on the Oilite website

Not saying that i think it is bad already,just wondering if there is a better replacement. Best time to upgrade would be now. I was looking at some graphite impregnated bushings on the Oilite website
Would like to try a dlc coated bushing but shaft quality scares me also. Some in past have been real soft.

I'd really love to know why some guys are getting 6000miles on the top gear with no oiling holes drilled through where others are going 800 miles and it wobbles and takes out circlip. Any thoughts?

Mine is a 17 no hole 21 top had 5000kms and my bushing looked nice. I did a gear swap 22 top with 3 oil holes to try wont know till next season when I pull down and inspect results. I saw a guy this weekend in shining tree had 18 his gear was bad wobbling and pooping out in neutral. His sled if I remember when talking to him 3600kms.

2017 SE 7ooo miles, no holes stock 21 tooth top (Still good, just put her back in as the new one didn't look too good)
2018 LE 3000 miles, think it was no holes stock 21 tooth (Very bad, came out of gear and screwed up the reverse gear as well.)

Wish I knew.

good question.....Mine with NO HOLES and tighter chain(3/4 turn out) looks NEW. No rhyme or reason here it seems.

Could it have something to do with the reverse gear not meshing in as tightly on some sleds? I know I have to put alot of pressure CC onto my reverse motor when installing it, to line up the 3 screws, I feel like that gear/fork is pressing into the splines hard on those two gears. Maybe some are lightly holding the fork, with less side force and so the top gear wobbles more?

Dan

Back