• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Using 2 1/2 qrts engine oil 1500 miles

Sportfury

Extreme
Website
jakesauto.com
I had my oil changed at the dealer for the 1st time and for its 500 mile check up, 500 miles later i had to take it in for some warranty work.After my first oil change I did all my mods. I have checked it my self and put in now 2 1/2 qurts of oil in 1500 miles they are trying to tell me it is because of my air box mods any one else having this problem.

B.S. on the airbox mod causing the oil consumption. I have a modded airbox and after 1500 miles I have used no oil what so ever. I can’t believe a dealer actually told you that. You need to take it to another dealer. :drink:

The oil breather does dump into the airbox. But dry sump oil systems are VERY easy to over fill. Tricky to check the oil level. try checking the oil level after it is fully warm (after you have ridden it) and on level ground.

Try not filling it up to the top line, just fill it to the middle of the 2 lines. That may help. Over fill dumps a lot of oil into the breather in the airbox.

Dont keep oil near full line on gauge, keep it just over the low mark and it should use less oil, that is unless your mods are causing it.

I think it's simple an issue related to what TORK has stated.

I check my oil only by lifting the dipstick only high enough to wipe off the scale. Then dip it back down and lift it up to see what it reads. I do not thread it in. I like to keep it somewhere in the middle of the scale.

It's not too critical to have it to the full line in a dry sump system like we have.

Its not critical to have it to the full line in ANY system, except for crappy motors like briggs and stratton. Automotive non dry-sump systems work the same way as a dry sump, except that the oil tank is integrated into the bottom of the motor. The difference is only in being able to mount the engine lower. Just keep it above the enough line "E".

Oil

The first two times I was low it was checked checked and toped off about 1/2 quart each time thaught maybe I was crackn up but the third time I was almost a full qrt low the light came on. Alan at Ulmer said that it might not like to be all the way full but should taiper off about 1/2 qrt low or so but still went down below that. whats weard is that the sled should be smoken like a bitch but its not. one thing that I know for sure is the amount of horses that buring oil can rob from drag racing expierence I have 40 to 50 horses on the dyno with intake leaking sucking oil 825hp burning oil and 875 without. so out of 170hp maybe 5 to 10% ?

What do the tips of your spark plugs look like? Got a borescope? Take a look at the tops of the pistons. If there carbon build up on the plugs or pistons, you have a problem that needs to be adddressed.

If your airbox mod has casued the rings to carbon up, you most-likely would see a significant drop in compression.

If compression is in Spec, you may want to consider trying a Ring Free or Sea Foam "Shock Treatment" and see if that reduces consumption.

I can't see the airbox mods having much to do with this. There are many sleds running around with vented crankcases (like every single turbo sled) that don't burn oil. Is your sled running rich (with a rich map??)..carbon or overfueling/oil dilution could be an issue.

Sportfury said:
I had my oil changed at the dealer for the 1st time and for its 500 mile check up, 500 miles later i had to take it in for some warranty work.After my first oil change I did all my mods. I have checked it my self and put in now 2 1/2 qurts of oil in 1500 miles they are trying to tell me it is because of my air box mods any one else having this problem.

Your situation has Zero to do with your Airbox mod. You have a ring problem. be honest when you answer this question. Did you ever have an over heat problem especially early on. If so that is what caused your rings to go away. If you have a warranty I would force Yamaha to fix your motor. If you don't have a warranty i suggest you get the money together and get your motor fixed.

My 2003 RX-1 had Zero mods in year one and I used oil right away after having over heat issues. The problem continued to get worse.

The Idea that you have to vent your crank case to the Airbox to pull a pulse on the crank case is the biggest pile of BS ever. If you have a solid motor you will build almost zero pressure in the case. the vent is there to release pressure yes but you don't have to use the motor itself to suck pressure out of the case.

When ask to be honest about overheating issues what exactly do you mean?? My overtemp light has come on several times but I have always either hit deep snow or stopped and put snow on running boards to get he light to go off within a 1/2 mile or so. I have never overheated my engine.....

My 07 Attak GT has 4800 miles on it and upto the 3800 mile mark no issues with burning oil. Went on a 1000mile trip last week and burnt 500ml of oil??? The overtemp light came on a few of times that trip but again had it go out within a 1/2mile or so. I also modified my airbox around the 3500 mile mark??? After the last trip I also noticed that my exhaust was leaking can that add to the burning oil??

Back