• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Using or blowing off lots of antifreeze?????

I did bleed the coolant system by the book, didn't see any air bubbles coming out of the rear cooler bleeder. I took the sled for a ride carefully looking after the coolant level every now and then. I drove to a nearby lake and tested 4 passes at 12 lbs from slow speed to 110-120 mph, distance was about 1000 ft. After each pass I drove around slowly for a while and stopped to check the coolant level. Coolant level stayed at about 1/2" down from top of coolant expansion cup for all 4 passes. I turned up the boost to 16 lbs and did two back to back passes and then checked the coolant level, it had pushed about 1/4-1/2 quarter out thru the overflow line into the collector bottle I made. I will refill the amount in the collector bottle back into the reservoir to check how much I lost if any. I will also check the oil tank for contamination from coolant.

My mech told me to replace the coolant reservoir cap, he said they sometime loose spring pressure and cannot hold the required pressure anymore. Took the cap from my 05 to test, it have never lost a drop of coolant. I'm crossing fingers hoping that my head gaskets are not leaking.

Skydog said:
My sled is put up for the year. :o| :die

Sad to hear that you can't ride more this season....but I guess you have a few more mods planned for your sled ;)!

We have the best of season yet to come :D

The cold weather is now over and temps are around 0 C midday and -15C at night, sun is shining and soon daylight saving is giving us one xtra hour of daylight. From late april we have daylight around the clock and usually lots of snow in the mountains. Riding condition right now is fairly good, we got a few inches of fresh snow yesterday.

Where do I get stronger head studs?

I had the same problem using that crap cometic gasket. It was leaking from the rear right of engine in same area overflow tube went. It would only leak after it was under boost . Took the head off checked gasket looked fine put it back on and chalked it up to head not torked down right. It happens again take it apart , gasket still looks fine but throw it away and replace with 3 stock yammi gaskets stacked. I run between 14/16 lbs and have not had a problem since. Cometic=crap.

FastAction - I have 3 stock Yamaha head gaskets in already.

I will try retorking the head, it may stop the leaking? Heavy duty studs and nuts are going in befor next season if not sooner, that's for sure.

rxrider said:
I will refill the amount in the collector bottle back into the reservoir to check how much I lost if any. I will also check the oil tank for contamination from coolant.

How did it go with the measurment?Coolant out through the overflow or headgasket?Same problem here.

A group of us went on a trip to Revy in febuary. The trails had little snow on them. From what we heard the trail from the main parking lot was mostly gravel for the first !/2 mile! We were staying at the Peaks Lodge but the club wasn't grooming the trail to that entrance. Just about everyone was having problems with overheating and my RX-1 Turbo really blew a bunch of antifreeze out at 185F. I had just done the head gasket shim and I was fearing the worst. We got up to the cabin to sign in and after topping up with water an checking I saw no bubbles showing sign of gasket failure. I had however sucked in some air into the system after blowing most of the antifreeze out of the reservoir on the trail ride up. Not much riding that day as I was trying to burp the air out of the system. One thing I noticed that as I rev the engine up there is a lot of antifreeze surge coming up the tank. Everyone thought it was an air bubble still trapped in the system. I have an Ekholm tunnel and the coolant lines are a smaller diameter than stock. After farting around with it for the day at the hotel parking lot I gave up and rented. Once I got back home I still struggled with it in my shop and ran it at every angle to burp the bubble with the same problems. It dawned on me that the only thing not tested was the Pressure Cap!!! After changing it for $30 Cdn I have NO Problems! My running temps are 150F and I have no coolant blowing out of the overflow line ( I have a pop bottle sitting on the on the gearcase & its dry).
PS I had done a leak down test after head shim and when I got home it indicated a 2-3% loss both times with no bubbles. Hope this helps. Quicksilver

hooper said:
rxrider said:
I will refill the amount in the collector bottle back into the reservoir to check how much I lost if any. I will also check the oil tank for contamination from coolant.

How did it go with the measurment?Coolant out through the overflow or headgasket?Same problem here.

I rode 80 kms today not much boost (7-8 at the most) because of bad snowy weather. We got dumped at today, a feet of fresh snow. :) There was only a few cc of coolant in the collect bottle that I've made. Before the ride I checked the coolant and it was at the cold level mark. When home I checked again right after I stopped, coolant level was 1 cm under cold level mark and I could smell coolant under the hood. I think it is now leaking on the rear right side of the engine dripping down on the exhaust heat shield. Talked to my friend and Yamaha mech and we decided to retorque the head to see if that helps.

Skydog said:
I think you guys are blowing it out the overflow.

You are right about that, in addition it is going out thru the head gasket and out the back, down on the exhaust heat shield. I also noticed that there were tiny black fragments in the coolant, it turned out to be silicone from the head gaskets $€{$££@, it's leaking. I have to take the head off to replace the gasket, lots of work.

(tiny black fragments in the coolant)
I have that in mine two but i am sure it was from the old gasket. I dont use any coolant.

Skydog

Skydog said:
(tiny black fragments in the coolant)
I have that in mine two but i am sure it was from the old gasket. I dont use any coolant.

Skydog

Did your old gasket leak?

No but right after start up i had that black crap in my tank. NO boost just idle, sled runs great i know she is not leaking.

Skydog

A friend of mine is visiting MCXpress tomorrow, he will check if they have in stock heavy duty cylinder head studs and a better head gasket for my RX-1, if not I have to get the real stuff express from the US.

Took the cylinder head off today and replaced the 3 stock head gaskets with 2 stock gaskets, retorked it to MCXpress specs, 20 Nm, 35 Nm, 50 Nm. Finally I went to 52 Nm just to be shure it will hold up. Then I let it sit for a while and retorked it againg, did it over again, finally checked it 3 more times, there were no additional tightening of the nuts for the 4 last tork sessions. I hope she will hold together for the remaining of this season :)

The old gaskets were shot at the left cylinder only, that was where the silicon fragments came from. Pistons, cylinders and head are in great shape.

The head was torked to Yamaha specs when turbo was first installed, that is 20 Nm then torked to 105-121 degree, that was not enough for stacked head gaskets on a turbo sled at 16 lbs of boost. Some of the nuts were really loose, no wonder it did leak on me.

Man i hope mine is not leaking. That black crap has me thinking now. What you think? After 1,500 i have not added any coolant.

Skydog

Back