• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Vector vs. Rage

stevenknapp, try to attend one of the demo rides. http://www.yamaha-motor.com/news/dynami ... edule.aspx
Be sure to spend enough time to ride the different sleds, even the same model. At Houghton we found two Vectors that rode completely different and I liked my own Rage a whole lot better than the demo sled. Proper machine setup can make a world of difference.

RedRX1, it's interesting that Yamaha now puts the Warrior and Rage into what they call "Rough Trail" category. While many will argue with the description, I'm pretty happy to be on my Rage when I take off in the morning on pool table smooth trails then return in the evening to find those same trails all whooped up.

Right now, I would wait until after the '06 announcements on Feb 7 before making any sled purchase decision.

Maybe they put the new suspensions under them.

I've ridden both shorts and crossovers. For the bulk of the riding I do, handling is more important. When I get into the 'real' snow out west, the 'real" long tracks make the difference. I think the tweeners are just that, harder to run through the twisties and too short to work in the powder appreciably better than the shorty.

My buddy with his Rage and me on my Warrior got caught in a pretty good snow storm a couple of weeks ago in Quebec and he brought to my attention that the loose snow was not kicking up on our backsides and on the seat like it use to on the short tracks that we had. ;)! Others in our group that had the 121" tracks where wearing snow and we where not! 8)

stevenknapp, try to attend one of the demo rides

Good advice, I've been trying to figure out which one I can attend. My local shop is having theirs when I'm going to be out of town. But I might drive up to Traverse City, MI for the one this Sunday. Drive up, sled, drive back. One day. :)

Just got back from Great Escapes' yamafest. Mucho thanks to Jason and the others from Great Escapes and Yahmaha.

I rode the RX-1, the Vector, and the Rage. There were two RX-1s setup differently, I took the one that was almost universally declared as "better". There was only one Vector and Rage to ride.

I rode the Rage first. I really liked it. Smooth, responsive. I didn't think it seemed slow in the corners, there weren't any tight ones to try, but I did my best to play around with it.

Then the Vector, which I'd guess wasn't setup well, the ride was harsh, what I could fly thru sitting on the Rage I needed to stand on the Vector.

The RX1 was inbetween. The ride was smoother, as was the engine. I wasn't that interested in it to start, but it was great to try. The motor was like glassy smooth.

I can't explain it, the Rage just worked for me better. The "girl" motor is more than fast enough for me, the triple character was nice too. The longer track must be the reason it deals with the moguls so well....

Anyways, great advice. Thanks much. It's great to be able to ride them back to back!!

Glad you had the chance to ride the different sleds, especially the Rage with the "old" tech suspension.

I know I was wondering if I made a mistake until I rode all the different ones then breathed a sigh of relief when I liked mine the best.

Even though some would say the motor is for girls. :tg:

We really should stop joking about that Kevin, people might take us seriously. :wink:

My theory was of some of the other guys was I was looking for a long term sled to ride a couple of hundred miles a day and want to get back on it the next day.I think U.P. riders definetly would love the rage as I really enjoyed mine up there but northern WI guys I think will prefer the vector with the tighter corners and more of them.The rage is very stable but having a ripsaw on any sled I bet would make a real difference! I think the bigger bumps the rage handles real well but the five to six inch studders really dissapointed me,making want my M-10 back.plus depending on the snow which was pretty crapy compared to what it has been the last couple of days it is fairly hard to get that longer track around corners! I am going to tinker some more but I think my future is looking to up grade to another M-10 skid .overall I am pleased good fuel milage,execelent front suspension,quiet operation,top notch reliability.all I really would like is better rear skid and just a little more top end power(another ten horse would do)some guys are claiming pretty high top end numbers but I have not seen anything more than 103 at this point.(800 miles)A friend has the same sled and I managed 105 on his! I do relize I wasn't buying a muscle sled just would like a little more.

Back