• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Video Recording While Riding

Typical camera drones are about 40-50mph. But you start them away from you and drive by so they can cover a race pretty well. Some of the TD videos use drones.
I think he was asking can it go 140mph......

I think he was asking can it go 140mph......
I think that’s a big no, at least not any I have seen or built. I have a fixed wing that may hit 90 on a good day but it would be a serious handful to fly that fast. The FAA mandated speed limit is 100mph. There are faster drones of course but they are largely for closed course racing.

Biff,
Does one need the riser, or can you mount the camera on the helmet? If so, is the field of view less desirable due to being lower?

Can it be mounted on the left side of a snowmobile and just provide 180 degrees of view?
You can mount it anywhere you want. It's a standard GoPro mount. The GoPro Max can be put into "hero" mode so it will record out of one camera the same as all my other cams. But in Max or 360 mode, I like having it mounted up away from the mount as it gives me a much larger field of view.

So if I choose to reframe it down towards wherever it is mounted, I can do so without looking like the cam is laying on the hood of my sled, or get just the visor of my helmet in shot.

I played with this years ago with a traditional gopro on a gooseneck attached to the back of my TekVest. Reframing is not new, and I would reframe the shot I needed. As mentioned, when you reframe a 4k capture, you lose resolution. For the same reason my 360 footage is shot in 5.7K and reframed down to 1080 or 2.7k flat images.

For smoothness, I will always capture at 60 frames per second, allowing me to use slow motion with minimal loss or distortion. Or even higher fps when available. This is not an option with 360 as the tech is not quite there, and the amount of storage would be crazy. Working with 4GB files as it is takes some horsepower.

Hey Fleece, I have a drone that will actually follow you. I'm not very good with that sort of thing though. The only thing I can get my drone to do is slam into the ground.
Hey DMC, I saw one of your videos this past winter. It was a very good look from above of you running that ice strip on a lake! It came out great! Who was flying the drone while you ran that strip?

Back