• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper or keep Nytro?

Heilman43

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2011 Nytro Turbo
Hey guys, I currently have a 2011 Nytro XTX turbo and looking to upgrade possibly to a 15 XTX. The main question I have is, will I like it more than the nytro? I weigh 240 and am 6'5" and with taller riser, the nytro fits me almost like a glove. Will i get the same feeling with the Viper?
Any feedback is appreciated!
-Nick

Welcome to the forum!

I couldn't decide so I kept the Nytro as well.

If you like your Nytro, you will love the Viper.

i would say keep your nytro i have both and nytro way better built reliable machine then viper. my freind sold his turbo nytro xtx for viper ltx se. hated his viper so he sold it and got xrs 800 but he misses his nytro and kicking his ars to this day why he sold it:o|:o|:o|
:yam::yam::yam::yam:

Why not wait another month when the 2016 models are introduced? There may be a possibility something better comes along. Also, the longer you wait, the better deal you can get on a leftover.

Well my dad would be buying my turbo nytro, hes been wanting it ever since i bought it. Im just nervous as to if im going to like the viper as much. I do probably 60% off trail and I love the tall feeling of the nytro and hope the viper has that as well with me being 6'5"

Why not wait another month when the 2016 models are introduced? There may be a possibility something better comes along. Also, the longer you wait, the better deal you can get on a leftover.
That is true...

I'd try to find somebody near you to go for a little test ride... even if it's not turbod, you'll be able to get a feel for the chassis. Power on the MPI Viper is great, corner to corner. On the lake..... well not so much in my opinion. But it rides better than my 09 RTX Nytro and definitely handles better.

Take the time to browse the forum a little bit, some really good info.

I had a Nytro XTX and the Viper fits me better. I am six feet tall and my knees began to bother me on longer rides on the Nytro. I could never get the front end of the Nytro to act the way I wanted, even after a spring, ski and spindle change. The 3 cylinder motor is a winner in both chassis. The Viper is a keeper for me.

Sounds like you are similar to me - I have made so many changes and upgrades to my Nytro i gotta keep her now. lol.
I have two friends with Vipers and I am watching their sleds closely. There is no doubt that chassis rides great. You still have to play with suspension and ski to get it set up. My summary so far:
-Fit and finish goes to the Nytro.
-Nytro is easier to work on (access, layout etc)
-IMO the Pro Cross chassis has better handling traits than the Nytro. Its not perfect, but its way better 'out of the box' than the Nytro.

I will say, that the shock package on most Viper models is disappointing and the stock Nytro with GYTR's offers way more flexibility.
MS

I have the S-TX-DX and love it, I am 6'6' on a good day, 270 and it fits me like a sled should. Am playing with suspension but it rode excellent out of the box, still experimenting with air in rear shock. Only change I am doing is going to try a 7.5 riser tomorrow. Had an LTX last year and new sled is leaps and bounds better ride.

I had a nytro rtx and now have the viper rtx. The chassis fits me far better than the nytro ever did. I had to raise the bars and seat on the nytro to be comfortable. The procross chassis handles far better and is much lighter. In my opinion Yamaha dropped the ball on the nytro and stopped improving the design. The nytro or the viper were never designed to be lake racers so top end is not the 1049 forte but I am sure you now that. The procross chassis and the 1049 are match made in heaven in my opinion. I am glad I made the switch even though I had my nytro setup really good. If you can test ride one that is broken in. Good luck.

Last edited:
Had the Apex, then the Nytro, now the Viper. Apex had the best legs top end, Nytro more fun to ride, especially when you turbo it! Viper is even better, but must have a Turbo! Very disappointed in the top end but once you boost it, smile from ear to ear!!

have you ridden yours off trail? how did it feel non boosted?

I have nytro with oft/4" riser and flat bars and wrp seat. Seats wide at calves bit feels better than the viper to me. Viper is about 1" short on foam and riser I think. I am also 6'5". Viper felt better than stock nytro by a lot! Now I am more comfortable on my nytro.vthe viper feels more like your sitting on it than in it also. Not sure how else to explain it.

Summery of viper must haves imo.
-Riser 1"+- (for us taller chaps 2" with 1" taller seat would be stellar)
-All shocks redone (sounds like dx is closest stock)
-ski swap (will not turn confidently without it)
-clutching is a issue from factory on some.

Nytro (hard to leave once these are done)
-seat
-risers
-oft
-shocks
-a-arms or spindles
-128" relocate (shorty) or star xtx fix
-skis
-venting
-a-arm bushings
-exhaust doughnuts burn out quick
-some have bulkhead issues

I agree with the guys, nytro had it gotten the race front end would have been great. Since it didn't the viper has much better starting point and less mods needed. Shocks need to be redone, floats need to leave imo. I actually have a slightly shortened viper shock (custom axis) to use with my jre spindles. Once I upgrade these are going with me, that made the purchase a lot easier to swallow. Also for viper riser to preference and wish there was a wrp seat upgrade or something similar. And a curve or c&a ski upgrade is nessacary to make it turn. And honestly other than clutching or performance upgrades/fixes that's probably it.

Back