• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

viper shut itself off

vipernick

while coasting to a stop sign the oil light came on and it shut the engine down. i was partially in the road and tried to refire the engine to get it off the road and it just cranked and wouldn't fire. shut the key off for about 30 seconds and turned it back on and cranked it again and it fired right up. pulled across the road to double check oil level and it was perfect after it sat for about a minute. continued on my ride with no other issues (70 miles).

computer glitch????

anyone else have this happen yet? everything seemed fine prior to and afterwards. water temp was at its normal temp...163 as usual.

Happened twice on my wife's viper last time was yesterday. Starts running a little rough while riding and when throttle is released idles low 1,000 +\- 200 rpm. If you watch the caution lights the oil light briefly flashes while this is happening. When sled comes to a stop engine quits. If you turn off ignition and wait a few seconds prior to restart the engine fires right up. The issue has not repeated on the day they occur.

You are the first person that I have heard with problem. I have discussed with my dealer, I would recommend you do the same thing. I think it's an oil pressure sensor/ECU software problem. Don't believe it's related to overheating her sled was only reading 172 degrees on startup.

yeah engine temp was normal on mine when it did it. below 170. i called my dealer about it and they seem to think it might be a bad sensor, but how are they going to know. you know damn well its not going to repeat for them. i'm going to keep riding until it actually becomes a problem.

My dealer says besides the phone call to send and e-mail explaining the problem. He can then send it in and there is a paper trail.
Maybe this would keep some of our problems from being ignored.

I sent my dealer the hot link to this post a few minutes ago in an email.

vipernick said:
while coasting to a stop sign the oil light came on and it shut the engine down. i was partially in the road and tried to refire the engine to get it off the road and it just cranked and wouldn't fire. shut the key off for about 30 seconds and turned it back on and cranked it again and it fired right up. pulled across the road to double check oil level and it was perfect after it sat for about a minute. continued on my ride with no other issues (70 miles).

computer glitch????

anyone else have this happen yet? everything seemed fine prior to and afterwards. water temp was at its normal temp...163 as usual.

Just a suggestion ... Check your throttle cable tension . If its too tight and you just touch the flipper when your coasting to a stop it will shut the motor down and throw an oil light ... (tors sensor) there is a tension adjustment in the throttle cable about a foot below the flipper . It's covered by a rubber boot .. Mine would do this multiple times during the day until I put a little slack in the throttle cable ...

My throttle cable needs adjustment also.

Easy

STAIN said:
My throttle cable needs adjustment also.

It's real easy to adjust .. It's right next to the handlebar riser ... 2 wrenches needed. Pull down the rubber boot , loosen the jamb nut ... Turn the adjuster to put a slight bit of slack in the cable then re tighten the jamb nut .

Back