• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Walbro gss342

Returning fuel to slipper/sock is a good idea and cheap to do.
Definitely, nyturbo. That & may as well do the upgrade relay set up. none of that stuff can hurt.
$200. For everything?!?! That's not a lot to spend on a 300hp fuel set up. probably good for the 320+/- header tunes.
Skidoo guys pay that to pull it up on the rack.

Definitely, nyturbo. That & may as well do the upgrade relay set up. none of that stuff can hurt.
$200. For everything?!?! That's not a lot to spend on a 300hp fuel set up. probably good for the 320+/- header tunes.
This pump will deliver about 1.1 gallons per minute. No way even a 350 HP 998 can use that much in a minute. Remember you're on and off the gas all the time so even if you're running fast, no way can you use that much.
Could go look up a dyno sheet and see fuel in lbs per hour.
GSS342 is all the pump you'll ever need.

Fatchance, a daunting task to be sure. I found this number on Amazon and then read reviews. Most reviews are positive and claims of it being the real deal. But you know how it goes, always one in the bunch, complaining about this or that.
Side note: I've been researching this for a week or so, even Mike at TD gave it his blessings. (Not source, pump) This pump can go in and run pump gas with great success. New relay harness & return to slipper as well.
Goal: Max20
View attachment 174206
I clicked on the 12% of reviews that rated it a 1. That made up for 68 total votes and 60 of them were written reviews stating the pump lasted anywhere from minutes to weeks, some for months. I wouldn't touch this one, why go through the effort to save a few bucks? Even if you got lucky and it lasted I would always be wondering when it was going to quit in one of those situations when it's late in the day, getting dark and you're trying to get back to the camp. What about if it quits and your @ 133mph? It's just not an area to skimp. Take advantage of the DIY stuff, but still by the top notch equipment.

This pump will deliver about 1.1 gallons per minute. No way even a 350 HP 998 can use that much in a minute. Remember you're on and off the gas all the time so even if you're running fast, no way can you use that much.
Could go look up a dyno sheet and see fuel in lbs per hour.
GSS342 is all the pump you'll ever need.
Sounds good.
One more question....in your personal experience, can Max20 be ran without monitoring afr's?
I'll be running 91 with boostane to achieve appx. 94. When needed.
Again, assuming safeguards in TD tune do their job.
It's always been my opinion that header tunes, any changes around parameters like adding adjustable wastegate/fuel pressure reg to a particular tune would require afr's checked more so

Last edited:
I clicked on the 12% of reviews that rated it a 1. That made up for 68 total votes and 60 of them were written reviews stating the pump lasted anywhere from minutes to weeks, some for months. I wouldn't touch this one, why go through the effort to save a few bucks? Even if you got lucky and it lasted I would always be wondering when it was going to quit in one of those situations when it's late in the day, getting dark and you're trying to get back to the camp. What about if it quits and your @ 133mph? It's just not an area to skimp. Take advantage of the DIY stuff, but still by the top notch equipment.
of the 12% I'm sure there was some sort of abuse (undisciplined weirdos cranking up voltage for the pump to work harder) & electric gremlins in a particular vehicle. Quite frankly, I might take that 1star rating down to 4%, possibly less.
Thanks for reading further into that,
fatchance. Yeah, I can't afford to save $40. on that.
I'll keep digging....ty

Last edited:
Sounds good.
One more question....in your personal experience, can Max20 be ran without monitoring afr's?
I'll be running 91 with boostane to achieve appx. 94. When needed.
Again, assuming safeguards in TD tune do their job.
It's always been my opinion that header tunes, any changes around parameters like adding adjustable wastegate/fuel pressure reg to a particular tune would require afr's checked more so
The tuner sells the tunes without making afr gauge a requirement. They are usually clear with required hardware and fuel requirement. If everything is just right sled should run fine and be in the afr range the tuner intended............buttttt lots of other things can through afrs out of safe range without any indication. Fuel pumps not working correctly, small leak drawing air in fuel system, dirty or poor performing injectors, dirty pickup socks and the list goes on. Few winters ago a friend stopped by on his precision 3R zr9000 and said on the big tune the sled would trip knock light and sometimes cut out . If he went down to the next smaller tune it ran absolutely perfect. First thing I did was check his fuel pressure at the rail and it was down to 41psi. We did a few tests and determined it was the pump. He replaced the pump and fuel pressure back up to 43-44psi and sled ran flawless. So even though there was an issue with pump, on smaller tunes it was adequate for requested fuel delivery at lower boost psi of the smaller tune and presented no symptoms. The larger the tune the more dangerous it can be and the more parameters that should be monitored to be as safe as possible. With that said im sure theres tons of sleds cruising the trails with tunes pushing 19-20 psi with no datalogging or afr monitoring and all is good. If your in the required hardware range you should be fine but I feel I would like to SEE that I am fine and not just assume I am.

IMO, anyone running "at the edge" without monitoring or closed loop does so at their own peril.
As justinator says, gas quality, and lots of system variables matter huge. It only takes seconds or fractions of seconds for a supposedly safe tune to go south if something is not right. At the minimum, monitor AFR. Ideally, data log and understand/read the data closely.

Here's some data:
GSS342 = 255 LPH = 67.36 gph
PEFI Stage 3 (280 HP) from dyno chart: 281 HP @ 8900 RPM = 130 lbs/hr fuel flow. At 7.8 lbs per gallon, that's 16.6 gallons per hour.
GSS342 pumps 67.36 gph
PEFI Stage 3 (280HP) = 16.6 gph

Conclusion: Wslbro GSS342 delivers more than 4 times what a 280HP 998 needs at 9000 RPM.
GSS342 will deliver enough fuel for 1100 HP (based on fuel flow at 280 HP).

Here's some data:
GSS342 = 255 LPH = 67.36 gph
PEFI Stage 3 (280 HP) from dyno chart: 281 HP @ 8900 RPM = 130 lbs/hr fuel flow. At 7.8 lbs per gallon, that's 16.6 gallons per hour.
GSS342 pumps 67.36 gph
PEFI Stage 3 (280HP) = 16.6 gph

Conclusion: Wslbro GSS342 delivers more than 4 times what a 280HP 998 needs at 9000 RPM.
GSS342 will deliver enough fuel for 1100 HP (based on fuel flow at 280 HP).

All pumps of this type are lossy in operation so you care about pressure@volume. They chose the same colors for flow and current draw but the thick version of black and red are what you care about. At higher pressures, there is a lot less flow available and vice versa.

1700907165697.png

I THINK they claim 500 hp for this pump . GOTta member for every pound of boost your asking for another pound of fuel pressure.
Stock injectors this pump should be fine by all means.

Guys, I'm going to do something to watch afr's, etc. Just not exactly sure which direction I'll go. A fellow member made me aware of this recently, and I haven't had time to digest.
In short, I want to know if I'd be safe in the short term, probably never make it to Max20 this year. Unfortunately, Winter conditions will decide everything.
Ty so much for the short term relief.

I upgraded to the walbro 190lpm for my max spool17 tune. Bought it for amazon for $79. The pump seems to be authentic to me. Haven’t had any problems with it.
Also bought the fuel pump bosh relay and harness plugs and made my own pump relay harness to power directly to battery. That was about $40 in parts

All pumps of this type are lossy in operation so you care about pressure@volume. They chose the same colors for flow and current draw but the thick version of black and red are what you care about. At higher pressures, there is a lot less flow available and vice versa.

View attachment 174210

At 20 psi boost you need 43 + 20 = 63 psi. The chart shows somewhere between 55 - 60 gph output. Again, way way more than MS20 tune needs.
Agree w NYTurbo, GSS342 is good for at least 500 HP, probably more.
Just be sure to get a real one, not a fake.

Last edited:
All pumps of this type are lossy in operation so you care about pressure@volume. They chose the same colors for flow and current draw but the thick version of black and red are what you care about. At higher pressures, there is a lot less flow available
Surprised there's that much difference between 12 volts and 13.7.

At 20 psi boost you need 43 + 20 = 63 psi. The chart shows somewhere between 55 - 60 gph output. Again, way way more than MS20 tune needs.
Agree w NYTurbo, GSS342 is good for at least 500 HP, probably more.
Just be sure to get a real one, not a fake.
What fuel pump and adjustable regulator do you reccomend with tunes 300hp and up? And where are you mounting the regulator?

Back