• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Want HOT hands?..It can be done!!! EDITED FIRST POST

They feel like it for me. My o7bars were always maxed out(I have cold hands)and when it was less than 10F or so outside I always had to use big leather mittens or my hands would freeze, now I use my leather gloves and bars at 2-3 and my hands stay fine. I dont know if its because the hooks arent heated or what but they just seem to work better.

I held out as long as I could with the bars on the 07, I liked the element all the way down the hooks. But they just didn't cut it at 10 degrees above above zero, let alone below zero. I would have to stop to warm my hands off the exhaust pipe. Now that I put the 06 bars on, I have warm fingers again. Nice part is the 06 bars sit an inch higher than the 07's. Now I need to get the original 06 bars back on the wife's 06 Attak with the updated harness. What the hell was Yamaha thinking? Thanks Dan for the research!

ReX said:
Macheater, when you measured the voltages were you using loaded voltages?

If not, I suspect that with the 06 bars in parallel hooked up there would be a significant voltage drop out of the ECU due to the increased load from the ~1.1 ohm load.

When you consider the 06 bars in parallel are pulling 4x the designed load its amazing we aren't hearing about blown ECUs.

ReX, yes these were loaded voltages. I measured the voltages with the 06 bars with the 07 harness(parallel). Since these sleds are all 12 volt systems it is logical to assume that at full draw that the voltage is being pulled down somewhat. I was not able to check non load voltage since the ecu sensed the open circuit and triggered an error code and would not supply voltage to the circuit. Maybe I'll try a different approach before I button every thing back up to see if I can get a non load voltage reading. But again, I suspect it will be in the neighborhood of 12.5-13.5 volts.

As far as blowing ecu's what you have to remember is that the ecu DOES NOT supply the source voltage to the grips. It is most likely just a switching circuit that like a light switch just allows current to flow and is not the supply. The voltage and current still come from the generator(alternator) inside the engine. Though, it is true that every electrical circuit has a power limit, so I don't want to imply that the ecu will not or cannot be damaged by pushing it past its power handling capabilities.

Has anyone had any kind of a problem with this set -up?

All I can say is it's great to find myself having to turn DOWN the heat instead of wishing I could turn it UP.

Just a thought but i would think that Yamaha would have fused the grip circuit so even if you do overload the circuit the fuse should blow before you damage the ecu, I'm not saying this is the case but i think I’m going to take a look at my sled

Did this mod and rode in -3 weather last weekend.
worked awesome on 2-3 bars. never had cold hands!!
thank you so much for this info!!!!

Are 06 Bars available from yamaha, I figured they would be selling 07 as an update for the 06's & 06's would not be available.

Snowman269 said:
Are 06 Bars available from yamaha, I figured they would be selling 07 as an update for the 06's & 06's would not be available.

your best bet would be to try to get some used pair,from guys who removed them...some dealers have them kicking around too from the 07 updates....but most TYers know about this awesome fix so might be hard to find a set round here..lol

still hot hands and no issues for second season.....only problem i found is when its around 25f or higher you have to turn them OFF!....lol

Dan

I did the " ROCKDAN fix " this year and all i can say is : NO #*$&@,now i got hot grip on my 15000$ sled. No more cold hand. :Rockon:

Thank to the " ROCKERDAN fix "

The current to the grip warmer does go thru the CDI unit It does not come from the stater/generator I am NOT saying this is going to be A Problem but the current does travel thru the CDI unit before it gets to the grips and thumb warmers.

RockerDan, you should be up for the noble prize for this hand warmer fix, awesome job, cold hands can wreck a great day of riding, thanks again

So tonight I rewired my grips to be in paralell. Resistance went down from 2.8 ohms per grip to 1.8 ohms on both which will flow more current.
The grips do not produce any heat when iddling set on 2. When I got the RPM up to approx 3500 they started to produce some heat. Didn't want to run it too long as I was dieing in there, too much exhaust.
Also put on some chrome exhaust tip so that I can carry a small bag back there. They look awsome, I think better than stock.

Dan does this sound right.

TBay Sledhead said:
So tonight I rewired my grips to be in paralell. Resistance went down from 2.8 ohms per grip to 1.8 ohms on both which will flow more current.
The grips do not produce any heat when iddling set on 2. When I got the RPM up to approx 3500 they started to produce some heat. Didn't want to run it too long as I was dieing in there, too much exhaust.
Also put on some chrome exhaust tip so that I can carry a small bag back there. They look awsome, I think better than stock.

Dan does this sound right.

Actually that does NOT sound right...mine will get very hot at idle after just seconds really...even at a low setting....

Dan

SharkAttak said:
RockerDan, you should be up for the noble prize for this hand warmer fix, awesome job, cold hands can wreck a great day of riding, thanks again

LOL....hate to think what will happen if all our sleds quit!.....id be a hunted man!..lol

Dan

Back