• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Warrior Hot in -25 Degrees

Bob Miller

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Present Sled: 2011 Yamaha Apex 128
Just back from Canada, and on Saturday riding in extreme cold -25 degrees the TEMP light came on and the trails where perfect! Had to go into deep snow to cool it down :? I noticed the tunnel was completely iced! Probably preventing snow from getting on the heat exchangers :roll:

I have had this happen to me too. I notice it if I do a lot of road riding. I just shut it down for a minute and throw snow on the foot boards.

Later........

Bob, The only time my temp light has come on is when running a short stretch down the side of the road or on a lake with little snow. When the light came on I was not surprised due to the lack of snow. The light has come on 3 times in 5,500 miles. With regard to the ice in the tunnel, this is normal in extreme cold. With temps below zero the snow hardens like a rock to the exhaust. I take a hamer and loosen all the ice in the tunnel after every ride in extreme cold.

I had a temp guage on my sled .. it would read 180 NORMAL TEMP..

195 getting hot but light not on yet.. 210 light comes on..

Check your oil. The low oil light can be confused with the hot running warning lighty thingy. It fooled me more then once . I checked the dip stick & I was down a quart. I run a cooloant additive & have never had a problem with over heating.

Bob that seems to be the magic temp! Mine was coming on at that temp as well. If you take a look at your front exchanger there may be some ice buildup on the exchanger. I just pull it off with my hand.

Everyone please check your performance as the sled heats up in low snow conditions. My temp. light never came on after successive top end runs , but I did spit out some liquid and never again was able to hit my initial run top speed . I believe I lost about 5 mph on top as the engine heated up.

All - The information seems to point out that the Mountain and the Warrior have the problem - the RX-1 generally does NOT. Seems related to the crossover tube getting/not getting snow.
You might want ot check out my original post at:

http://www.rx1.info/viewtopic.php?p=26115#26115

As far as the ice in the tunnel; that is normal. What seems to happen is that all the heat from the exchangers transfers thru the alum and the snow melts there. (Remember from physics what a good conductor aluminum is) Once there is some, more builds. Meantime, since there is not enough heat being removed from the coolant, the sled overheats.
I would encourage EVERYONE who has the problem to make it known to their dealer and/or Yamaha. The service mgr at my dealer said Yamaha told him they have had only a handful of complaints from Warrior owners so far! He has about 15 reports from Warrior owners in they sold in Vermont/NH alone. Unless you are riding in conditions with 3-5" (or more) inches of snow, you are likely to have the problem. Plain + simple, the sled should have had a rear heat exchanger and now I am told Yamaha is offering one as "an accessory".
I plan to complain that the sled was misrepresented and has an inherant defect. I have had liquid cooled Yamahas for nearly 20yrs and have never even seen the warning light come on before owning this Warrior!!

OVERHEATING

I purchased a pair of ice scratchers from Maximum Performance. This took care of the problem totally

Bandit; How do they work? Where are they mounted? How much are they? How long do they last? Does it have any negative effects on the sled? THANKS

I purchased ice scratchers from mountain performance myself, they work great. doesn't address the real problem, but they do keep it from over heating + I belive they help on the hyfax.
Mine bolted right on the skid frame toward the front. the only real problem I could see is if you have todrag your sled backwards for what ever reason, then they would dig in and maybe get bent.

Back