• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What Apex model?

Put on aggressive snow trackers set up per instructions. Don’t need studs with 144 unless riding lots of river ice.
Will these work with the brand new set of Woodys dual carbides the previous owner just installed?
I will never run without studs ever again after a incident that happened to us 10 years ago near the Soo. We came out of the tunnel on I75 in a bad snow storm and we could not make the hill. There was 6 sleds in a line that came back down the hill bouncing off of each other. Had my small granddaughter with me on my sled and was the leader and almost made it to the top when we came back down. I have never ridden without studs since, we were lucky nobody was hurt and after riding 30 years prior never with studs I will never ride without them again.

Hope you and your wife have years of fun with this beautiful sled

Will these work with the brand new set of Woodys dual carbides the previous owner just installed?
I will never run without studs ever again after a incident that happened to us 10 years ago near the Soo. We came out of the tunnel on I75 in a bad snow storm and we could not make the hill. There was 6 sleds in a line that came back down the hill bouncing off of each other. Had my small granddaughter with me on my sled and was the leader and almost made it to the top when we came back down. I have never ridden without studs since, we were lucky nobody was hurt and after riding 30 years prior never with studs I will never ride without them again.
Yes duallies work but no way as good as aggressive snow trackers on single keel skis. You seem to want ultimate performance and that is STs. As far as studs on 144 imo I wouldn’t do it with exup clearance we have 4 xtx s in our group I’m the only one running the ice ripper track no one has studs and no problems. I’m pushing 13k miles and will replace sometime with stock ripsaw no studs.

Yes duallies work but no way as good as aggressive snow trackers on single keel skis. You seem to want ultimate performance and that is STs. As far as studs on 144 imo I wouldn’t do it with exup clearance we have 4 xtx s in our group I’m the only one running the ice ripper track no one has studs and no problems. I’m pushing 13k miles and will replace sometime with stock ripsaw no studs.
Studding is only for our safety, not worried about holeshot traction. What does it have to do with the exup? Does it interfere with it? I will invest in snow trackes when these brand new duallys wear out.

Studding is only for our safety, not worried about holeshot traction. What does it have to do with the exup? Does it interfere with it? I will invest in snow trackes when these brand new duallys wear out.
Exup has to be cleared when studding and tunnel protection beefed up. I would go ice ripper prestudded track but probably not an expense you want to incur right now. Research on TY to do it right if self installing studs. Bud just bought a cherry red xtx similar to what you bought last March had duallies on and prior owner redlined the transfer rods maxed out center shock preload and the duallies would push catch then oversteer very dangerous. Still had plenty of life but immediately bought aggressive snow trackers for less effort and zero push no darting STs. He also had studs on prior Shorty SE but not going to stud 144.

Exup has to be cleared when studding and tunnel protection beefed up. I would go ice ripper prestudded track but probably not an expense you want to incur right now. Research on TY to do it right if self installing studs. Bud just bought a cherry red xtx similar to what you bought last March had duallies on and prior owner redlined the transfer rods maxed out center shock preload and the duallies would push catch then oversteer very dangerous. Still had plenty of life but immediately bought aggressive snow trackers for less effort and zero push no darting STs. He also had studs on prior Shorty SE but not going to stud 144.
Yeah no new track with only 700 miles on this sled, only studding the middle for her safety.
Anyone else have advise on exup, tunnel protection in regards to studs on the XTX?

I studded my XTX and just studded down the center only. It's not so much the tunnel protector itself but their mounting brackets. If you look at the brackets, they are shaped like a C and with the right amount of force/impact from the track hitting the protector, it can collapse that C shaped bracket causing the tunnel protector to become even closer to the tunnel and exhaust.

You have tunnel protectors, so studding is just fine. Watch your track tension for sure.

The 6" dooleys work well with an un studded track. If you go studded, it may push, so you may go to 8" dooleys or sno trackers. Run it as is to start and see how it performs. A pre-studded track was an amazing improvement for me. 1.6" Ice Cobra. But my original track had over 4000 miles on it without studs. The traction comparison was amazing. So I agree either studs or pre-studded. Just be sure to match up the traction on your skis to compliment it, or you will be hearing about it from the MRS. when she blows through the first corner.

Good luck.

PS: The stocker windshield provides great protection, especially with handguards. With a tall windshield, you may not have room for handguards.

I have the big windshield and handguards on my 09 shorty, only hits on full lock. I will say we are in 60s so going wild on trails with her not possible. Now with my buddies yeah we have a little fun. Will have to go up to 8" when these are done, which depends on the season we have this year. After laying out 5600 for sled yesterday we will be spending wisely this season.
09 Apex ER.jpg

congrats on the sled.

you could go with the i-grips that mrsled ran on his sleds last season. they are kind of like the premoulded studs in the track.

I sell those I grip studs. Ran them on my XTX last year with no issues and what an improvement! Installed them on a 1.5 Cross Country track for mostly traction on icy corners but they hook up well and no chance of hitting exup. Let me know, I am placing an order for some this week.

Back