• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What carbides do I need for tuner skis?

Just an update, I ended up going with a 6 inch carbide on the inside and a 4 inch carbide on the outside. Both from woodys. I did consider snow trackers, but I tend to have to cross a lot of roads and train tracks and I was concerned about the skis getting hung up. I’m looking forward to getting out and riding this season with fresh carbides!

Just an update, I ended up going with a 6 inch carbide on the inside and a 4 inch carbide on the outside. Both from woodys. I did consider snow trackers, but I tend to have to cross a lot of roads and train tracks and I was concerned about the skis getting hung up. I’m looking forward to getting out and riding this season with fresh carbides!
Hopefully they will work for you; I used that set up on my first Viper for a very short time before switching over to Cat skis and Snow Trackers. I have heard people voice their concerns about crossing railroad tracks and roads with the Snow Trackers, but I have had Trackers on Yamaha skis, Cat skis, and Tuners, and over many thousand miles, have never had a problem. I was one of the ones who resisted switching to Trackers out of concern about that much metal under the ski, but my fears were unfounded, and I have been very happy with my Trackers.

If you are going to keep your Tuners, depending upon your budget for carbides, Snow Trackers makes carbides for the Tuners. I really do not like anything about the Tuner skis, and have replaced them on all my sleds except the most recent one, a Sidewinder LTX. Because I had a big trip coming up at the time I bought the sled, I did not have time to swap out the Tuners, so I took a chance on the Snow Trackers. That was over 5,000 miles ago, and the Tracker/Tuner skis are still on my sled. If you are a trail rider, forget all the expensive aftermarket skis with all the bells and whistles to stop push and prevent darting, etc. The Tracker/Tuner combo is easy to steer, with no darting, and they have little or no push under most conditions. The 5,000+ miles I have on my Sidewinder have been the most enjoyable miles I have ever had on a snowmobile, and I don't want to change a thing.

On the DB chassis the tuners worked great for me trail riding! I always got the biggest carbide and the largest square bar. Did this on our apex and 15 phazer. They both worked great.

With our 2020 winder i also purchased snow trackers. I have not rode it yet. Travis at BOP seems to have sold a pile of them. Lighter laser sharp steering is what everyone has told me. Great for trail riding and not good off trail. Will see this winter how well they work for us!!!

OP I see your strapped for cash. I have the Woody's carbides in 6in on both inside and outside. Steers fine for my riding. I ride at least 1500 10 2000 miles a year for 16 yrs now on Yamaha Apex,Vectors of different styles and find the Tuners are fine for my trail riding in NH with many different conditions and no need to spend big bucks on other ski's.

Tuner skis were developed specifically for the DB chassis of the Vectors and Apexes, and by most reports, they worked well there. Tuners were not designed for the Pro-Cross chassis, and they simply do not work well with it. There is a reason that Yamaha finally stopped putting Tuners on the Vipers and Sidewinders this year!

For those with the trackers and tuners : I just bought them for my 16 viper 129. Did you crank up the center spring to 75% like snow tracker says ??? Seems like a lot. Currently I’m running that spring almost full loose with the single keel Kimpex skis I have on there I’m going back to the Tuner FYI don’t buy the Kimpex highly disappointing Kimpex arrows

Back