• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What could Yamaha offer to make you buy a new sled?

low slung said:
."just about everything that comes into newfoundland for sale is imported"

Do you mean imported from somewhere else in Canada/USA or imported from outside of North America? Its obvious that everything must be imported to NL, as we are an island. There are plenty of domestic cars, trucks, atv's motorcycles and snowmobiles...are they considered imports by that logic?

Yamaha is listening in on these threads, I hope some of you guys havent forgot already the new apex has rear heat exchanger, much appreciated, now come with wide windows in track for improved hyfax, wheels with replacable bearings, extroverts to handle ratcheting, new handwarmers which are way better than old ones, improved N/A horsepower while mainting reliability, new skis in front. This was all done because of seeing the wants of riders on the things that needed to be improved from our point of view. Eps is fantastic idea and aids in handling of a heavier sled. More pros than cons IMO. I would personally love to see the 180 r1 engine in a new apex.... ;):D z1 turbo, etecs and anything else

I agree.riding other lightweight sleds offtrack is horrible.tha apex is fantastic.and i ride 60 km on one eight hour ride.would love a longer apex 180 hp with 151 track;-)

Why more horse power ? 90 percent of the riders cant deal with the HP they already have.

Bottom line - They need to loose weight

Lightweight sleds save lives :Rockon:

Im living proof

I am suppose to buy a new sled... Its just borken in at 12,000 miles on my 2006 Attak...

I like to pickup a used Phazer cheap some day... I don't think I will be buying new anytime soon. They have priced them out of my reach...

what would make me buy

I have an 06 apex gt with hygear suspension, 128 cobra and doo pilot skis. Its a great trail sled and doesnt need power steering. I have 12000mi. on it I bought a 2010 nytro RTX Se and couldnt ride it as hard through the bumps as my heavier apex. I puchased a 2011 doo xrs etec and am very happy with it. rode it 3100mi last year. I hate to admit that I was fooled into buying the SE so this year I have highly modified it and I have not given up on it yet. I installed the 42" concept a-arms, 144 backcountry track with oft extentions, XTX tunnel ext, c&a razors, hid headlights, yamaheater, OFT relocator, roest skid plate, WRP plus two seat kit, lake effect 4" riser, Mountain heat exhanger, hygear torsion spring spacers and spring overloads, this sled was not a good trail sled smooth or rough so Im making it into a offtrail sled. Ive owned this nytro for two years and only have 1700mi on it. I think that says it all. Yamaha would have to build a lightweight mogel mashing corner carving lake racing high hp reliable turbo 4 stroke for me to be interested. Then even if I was interested I wouldnt buy it untill it has been out at least 4 years becuase with yamaha they seem to make the best model year on the last model year of the sled. Example 04 viper was the best viper, 05 RX-1 was the best rx-1 and I think this 2012 Nytro will be the last Nytro.

I really love my apex have had it since dec. 05 and can't really find anything new to replace it with, now yamaha has fixed up most of the weak area's ski's idler's slider wear weak mono but so have I over the years, but to improve it more I think a better steeering system without so much linkage and slop and it does need to drop some weight i.e me a nd a friend just picked up a 2009 xp x 800r and it was no problem to throw it in the back of a lifted silverado my apex is a min 3 person lift into the back of a truck.
How much weight could the apex drop and still be rock solid? 50 lbs maybe

BoneDaddy said:
Why more horse power ? 90 percent of the riders cant deal with the HP they already have.

Im living proof

I agree for trail riding 145-150HP plenty but need weight reduction to be competitive with other OEMs 4s. You want more & more HP drop in a turbo in what you have now. Need clean sheet design on trail sled between Vector & Apex. Vector 125HP Apex 162ish & that is a 40HP spread seems like trail sled in the 145 -150HP that runs on regular gas & is much lighter than Apex & Vector would be a big seller.

I say stick with the rear exiting exhaust. They can fix the ice build up if they put more thought into it. I would much rather have the heat from the exhaust can out from under the hood. I would like to see them come out with a better rear skid. If I wasn't happy with Yamaha currently, I'd sell them and move on.

If the latest technology they have in the patents shows up for 2013 we may be looking at and riding a new kind of sled.One in which the rider/sled corners as one.If this comes true(and they can keep the overall weight in check)the competition will be rubbernecking as we pull some sick action with very little effort from the rider.As for the other three sled builders LaLaLa having there riders join in group therapy sessions on which sled is the lightest,they may be missing the next step in sled evolution.Got my fingers crossed :jump: .

BoneDaddy said:

Im living proof
Drivers kill drivers.if you cant handle it,buy another sled.even better,sell the sled and walk.
I love the power,and it is adjustable......

I don't see where HP is primary market driver to sell the most sleda & make money. As said before 145-150hp is plenty for a lighter trail sled. If Hp was main driver Thunder kitty & Mach would have owned the market years ago. Cost of purchase & cost of operation becoming more important for winter toy than raw HP. Sure we want a fast responsive sled but over 150HP what you going to do with it??..... unless you are straightline rider you got to turn sometime.lol

hp

hp in sleds is not all relative I had a 2000 srx that was supposed to be around 140hp. It would top out around 120mph becuase it only had 8 inches of rear suspension travel. After that I had a 2006 apex with 150 hp 113 top speed and heavier than my srx. So if your going to build something heavier with more travel then it needs more hp to be able to have the same speed. I road my srx for over 10,000 mi and never wrecked it and had it wide open many times. I would like a sled that would travel 120mph and I can adjust when I want to go that fast.

Im fine with the basic apex design and the 140-150 hp the apex makes. changes i would like to see are. (not necessarily in this order)
1-dump the power steering and give me a choice of color matched aftermarket skis when i pre order.
2-Get rid of the rear exiting exhaust. and put a full length tunnel cooler in. get rid of those crapy coolers under the running boards
3-remove the gas tank from its current location and put it under the seat like the rev. this will boost seat height and make a lot of people happy. maybe they could even make the seat height adjustable so people can set the ride height where they want it.
4- relocate the battery and other electrical components to where the gas tank is now to free up the engine compartment for an exhaust
5- fix the mono suspension. beef it upproperly and install the best shock money can buy that is calibrated properly from the factory.
THEN charge me 10-11 grand.
ill be cool with that

Back