• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What I dont like about my new sled.

ya, im not too impressed with the plastic above the taillight or the hook either.. It sucks having to be extremely carefully taking the hood off (almost a 2 guy job) but its liveable..

The handle bars and gauges make up for the other stuff i dont like..

TT670 said:
EFI doesnt need a temperature sensor and Id go as far as to say there probably isnt one. Oxygen content is relative to barometric pressure and air density, and its generally a known value using a few simple calculations, so technically they only need to compensate for changes in density and not temperature, you can calculate density using temp but I doubt they do. Being that a 4 stroke is not as sensitive as a 2 stroke and that you have more intake tract to warm the incoming air. As the air passes thru the intake and across the valves, the temp and density at the time of combustion is obviously different than the air box. So if they did use temp as a input its probably charge air temp taken from the maniold somewhere and not actual outside air temp as they are not the same. Im betting they probably use a MAP( manifold absolute pressure) and barometric pressure sensor and the EFI module uses pre programmed tables to calculate the fuel needs based on the density values calculated using those 2 sensors, Ive got a pretty strong EFI background but with that said Im just making an assumption here and we all know what happens when one assumes anything. Id like to learn more about it and Im excited about seeing just how this system works. Id like to hear from anyone who has REAL hands on info as to how Yamaha does it, this techy stuff excites me..LOL

According to the Sept. issue of Snowtech page 83:

"The new Yamaha 4-stroke EFI uses a MAP sensor, air temp sensor, and a throttle position sensor."

Ya gasattak i got to agree with ya on the hood being a pain in the butt,my bud got his yesterday and this morning we went and took a look at it,at first glance it looks wicked sweet,and it is,i am in no way saying it is not,but after further review and taking the hood apart and side cover it is easier than my 03 but not as user friendly as say the rev side panels,but he assembled his so he knows how to take it apart to a great degree,and it is a stretch to get to battery box and oil filter,but he did say the battery box is now aluminum and battery is like one inch smaller in length. The taillight i am undecided on,i like its looks but it just might get busted if someone is not careful enough. Wow we now have storage in front where we only had on our 03-05 plus a very nicely donr rear trunk. Hey anyone wonder why we could not take our bar pad and have some shop that does stencle work do up ATTAK on it,maybe someone in here knows someone who could do this,and we could get a group buy,lol or just leave it off,hey did you check out the semi wet weight that yammi has in your manual 596 add 10 gal. gas and can we say 660lbs wet because the attak was listed dry @ 575lbs and the delivered weight according to the book was 596lbs. ;)!

Mr. Sled said that the GT handle bar pad WILL have the GT on it, but if it doesn't I am going to have it embroidered as I know a lady who owns a business that does that. Can't be very expensive.

snowbelt said:
According to the Sept. issue of Snowtech page 83:

"The new Yamaha 4-stroke EFI uses a MAP sensor, air temp sensor, and a throttle position sensor."

I did see that and dismissed it as inaccurate. The Yamaha heavy hitters were at the March Lake Geneva Sno Cross/sled showing and they explained that it works off the barometric sensor/ no MAP, unless I misunderstood which is certiainly possible.

Second, a manifold air pressure sensor requires an intake manifold, and there really is not one. You have an airbox and 4 extremely short throttle bodies. But I really hope it does have a MAP. That would mean if you installed ECP filters and an exhaust, it would compensate for those :D
the barometric sensor would not. :(
Perhaps Allen, Jeff and viper 34 will give us a definitive answer.

Another dislike that I forgot about. Who over there in R&D forgot to include the spanner wrench when designing the tool box. $9000 and the wrench roams freely in the trunk. I hope somebuddy got their Saki and Karaoke privileges taken away. And before I forget we need to come up with a way to theft proof the easilly removable hood sections. So get to thinking, the grass is still green in most parts. ;)!

MajorGasAttak said:
Who over there in R&D forgot to include the spanner wrench when designing the tool box. $9000 and the wrench roams freely in the trunk. ;)!

You get a spanner wrench in the tool box!!? Never mind that it roams freely, you actually got one? :?

Damn, next thing you know they'll install fuel shut off switches, :shock:

You guys have way to much time on your hands. I looked over and sat on a red Apex-er like I have ordered yesterday and was impressed with the over all quality. I think the hood will be great as long as we learn how to remove them correctly. I have never seen a sled that looks any sharper then them. My last three sleds have been Yamaha"s because of the quality, fit and finish and the way they have stood behind their products.

Guys there is a intake manifold sensor above the #3 cylinder is where it is located. Also, yes when installing a set of air filters I know it will compensate for it to a point, but it sure is nice to be able to fine tune it some as well.

Back