• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

what kind of studs and how many for 121's and 136's

MightyWarrior said:
Just commenting on what I have learned in my 25 years of snowmobiling Tork :tg:

Is that 25 years around 150 HP sleds dan?
The Apex/ Attak pulls much harder than any non forced induction RX/ Warrior.
So you dont trust guys who sell studs huh,
Lets just say that they lie to sell you another 24 studs and they pocket what? another $7.20 if that. Puulllease get real. :ORC

150 hp nope, you got me there buddy. I haven't had that low of a HP sled since my 670HO. The 3 previous sleds before I came to Yamaha were MachZ's. The least powerful one I had was my 99 which dynoed at 156 :flag:

Do whatever you feel like. It's sad that people have to wave their manhood around and point out that they're racers and/or how many years they've been riding as if it gives them legitimacy on the internet.

Just take everyones opinion and go with what sounds best. 96 in a snowcross pattern worked for me. Studboy worked for me and I only broke one off that I can see despite a bad snow season. Others will swear by Woody's. ect ect you get the idea.

So to tell you there's obviously no "Right" way to do it here. Some variables that you can consider though which are FACTS. Stud length and the fact that more studs will wonk up your handling in the twisties. So determine what you want whether its more grab in the straight or just a little assistance with traction and go with it.

Or do we need to keep blustering back and forth how good we all are?

Also, it should be discussed that with the newer better traction tracks, we dont need as many as we used to back in the mid 90s. Still, It is my strong belief that you are putting alot of excess force on a track with a smaller number of studs. The more studs, the less force is put on them individually...BBY

Yamahnator said:
Do whatever you feel like. It's sad that people have to wave their manhood around and point out that they're racers and/or how many years they've been riding as if it gives them legitimacy on the internet.

Just take everyones opinion and go with what sounds best. 96 in a snowcross pattern worked for me. Studboy worked for me and I only broke one off that I can see despite a bad snow season. Others will swear by Woody's. ect ect you get the idea.

So to tell you there's obviously no "Right" way to do it here. Some variables that you can consider though which are FACTS. Stud length and the fact that more studs will wonk up your handling in the twisties. So determine what you want whether its more grab in the straight or just a little assistance with traction and go with it.

I think thats the best post yet. Well said. I also pointed that out in my second post. Run what you like, take what opinions you get and make your decision from there. Some other questions would have helped with this post like...

What kind of conditions do you nornally ride in?
-How aggressive of a rider are you?
-What is most important regarding the advantages of studs. Traction for acceleration or for safety reasons in icy condidtions and braking situations?

If all you care about is going in a straight line and getting the best possible traction under acceleration, then you need more studs.

If all you care about is studding for saftey reasons, them less studs will work.

If you want something in between, then go somewhere in the middle.

This really shouldnt be this complicated. Again, I was told many years ago from a Woodys rep, that you should use 1 stud per HP. Now have the better tracks changed that? Id say yes, but how much is certianly up for debate...BBY

It really comes down to what you want to do with the sled..

If you are going to race it... RUN alot of studs (over 196)

If you are a trail rider just looking for bite in the corners.. run 96-144 studs

If you are a trail rider who also likes to drag race , run 144-196..

Personally.. i tried 162 in my first warrior and you could really feel the difference ! they caused alot of push in the corners... so on my second warrior i went to 130 studs and i was pretty happy.. I did pull one stud out... but that was due to doing a drag race... had i just trail rode it, it probobly wouldnt have happened..

I had a 95 Zr 700 that had 250 studs and it SUCKED.. it was almost undriveable... i lowered the amount of studs to 144 and it handed on rails..
I also ran 144 studs in my 02 viper and never pulled a single one, and i used plastic backers..

Just my opinion.. take it for whatever its worth! LOL

Brian

MightyWarrior said:
150 hp nope, you got me there buddy. I haven't had that low of a HP sled since my 670HO. The 3 previous sleds before I came to Yamaha were MachZ's. The least powerful one I had was my 99 which dynoed at 156 :flag:

dan, I know you are a good guy, but I just have not figured out where you are coming from yet. The guys here deserve better than our little pissing contest.
Look, the point of a forum is people post questions looking for advice. It is not about your opinion being right or 'the only opinion'. Usually a few different perspectives are the most helpful, especially since the Apex though heavily RX based sled is new. What does rider forward do to weight bias when braking? I think I know, and I also know what bends and breaks studs
Taking a neutral ground, I know you know BLUEDOG. I rode with him more than anybody else last season. 225 lbs brisk rider but certainly not overly aggressive by any means. With 96 up the middle on his 05 RX, in his 2000 plus miles he had quite a bit of stud damage, much more than usual. He even complained to Woody's and got them to send him a bunch of free studs.

I am pretty sure he told me he is going with 144 on his apex as he does not want to understud again.
Bottom line is you dont need to knock my opinion with this reality check BS. My opinion is just as valid as yours and it could wind up being superior.
Time will tell as we get some miles on our new sleds :D

BlueByYou2000 said:
96 in not enough. Ive seen more damage with guys who understud and I would consider 96 studs on a apex very understudded. Rule of thumb, 1 stud per HP...BBY

Exactly right. By the way, Mack Studs are by far the most durable setup. They may be a bit heavier, but they do NOT bend or rip out.

Come on guys, take a pill....................Did I say run only 96, every other option sucks?? No, I simply gave my opinion and posted what I read from snow tech.
To answer your question Matt; I ran 192 on my 96, 240 (then 144) on my 97 and 144 on my 99. My 97 was the most potent of all with some major mods to push it to the 180's HP wise. I started out with 240 studs with that sled and had the track go to hell on me (not due to the studs). Fortunately Doo gave me a new track. I didn't want to spend the cash for another 240 studs(like a bone head I used red locktite on the 240 and couldn't remove any :o| ). I ended up installing 144 and talk about hook up :shock: No changes were made to the sled with the exception of the new track. It only differed by being fully clipped where the original track had the closed windows similar to our tracks now. Tread was the exact same, the only difference were fewer studs. My theory was that the 240 couldn't penetrate while the 144 could.

Yamahnator said:

You are right yaminator, I prolly should have kept my yap shut, but how am I helping guys to know how much to stud if I let a valid opinion get negated and trampled on. Fact is 96 may not be enough for a lot of guys and all I did is try to state that in a polite and respectful way. I am pretty damn sure 96 is not enough for me.

BlueByYou2000 said:
I think thats the best post yet. Well said. I also pointed that out in my second post. Run what you like, take what opinions you get and make your decision from there.
Well his and yours really are the best opinions. What do you think of this?
If you could modulate your throttle like traction control and modulate your brake like ABS you could in fact get by with fewer studs. Excess spin on accel and lockup on decel is what kills and pulls studs, does it not? I dont think I have the restraint to do that LOL

I need to make this decision pretty quick now myself. 185 fairly aggressive rider anybody see a problem with me going with 120-144 and which would be better for my Apex?
Come on guys lets not be politically correct, help me out.

I'm going with 120, 48 outside and 72 in the middle. Use a stud with a small tip like Roetin Hornets that will penatrate well and it will hook up great. I ran 120 in my RX-1(cheap shadetree studs) and it hooked up so so. I increased to 144 and tested the same day and it did not improve any. Tork nailed it with the comment on damaging studs. If you only spin it on snow and ice they won,t bend!!

A couple final thoughts; stud fewer and add more if you think you need more traction. I think another issue people don't consider is their weight. If your fat your studs will penetrate better while a skinnier dude with the same amount will feel like they're running on marbles. I too have seen that scenerio.

Back