• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

whats it capable of?

I see the compression of 9:1. timing must be a little behind the viper also i would assume. so do you think this sidewinder is capable of 250 hp with an ECU flash. then gears and 135 mph!

240-250 should be realistic on pumpish fuel. For big power, it will require a different turbocharger/compressor.

I'm not sure what to do a friend of mine and a snowmobile guru who thinkers with everything to mske power says the 800rr cats eat up the viper turbos in the fields but on the lakes the vipers get them and the catsband are a fraction of the price.
He has a 800 himself which I drove it pulls hard...
He also claims that he drove a rmk with a turbo which was unbelievably responsive fast and fun and he doesn't think the new sidewinder can compete.
He is going to order a new thundercat but is hesitant that it isn't going to stand up to the hype.
I myself want to order the new sidewinder but would be upset if my buddies 800 with a little work is faster and more responsive.
I have ridden with and drove a 16 Cat 800 limited for over a 1000mi this season at no time can he pull me unless I am sleeping. Thats off the line,midrange and top end held for well over a mile. Mine is not stock but it surely is no Turbo. His is absolutely stock. So unless modded or other years are faster by a ton you have nothing to worry about with a Sidewinder. With mods anything is possible but nothing stopping you from doing the same.

I have ridden with and drove a 16 Cat 800 limited for over a 1000mi this season at no time can he pull me unless I am sleeping. Thats off the line,midrange and top end held for well over a mile. Mine is not stock but it surely is no Turbo. His is absolutely stock. So unless modded or other years are faster by a ton you have nothing to worry about with a Sidewinder. With mods anything is possible but nothing stopping you from doing the same.
The 16 800 cats are turds. Its amazing that they change from year to year but this years 800 is NOT fast on top at all.. Unless your running full exhaust and fuel map on them they are SLOWWWW.. Alot of guys not to happy. I know where your running Cannondale and I know where im at on top and not many if any at all stock 800 cat will run with

The 16 800 cats are turds. Its amazing that they change from year to year but this years 800 is NOT fast on top at all.. Unless your running full exhaust and fuel map on them they are SLOWWWW.. Alot of guys not to happy
Could be. Not about to become a Cat expert. Made me pretty happy though!

Only thing that worries is cats are 165 hp stock and supposed to be more. Responsive being a 2 stroke. Add the riot kit and that's another 20hp. That's 175 hp for alot cheaper than a sidewinder I wouldn't do it personally myself but just saying

Only thing you should even be slightly worried about stock is a Turbo cat. There is always something faster out there but at some point its not fun to trailride. Obviously this is as fast as Yamaha offers. If you are looking for a guaranteed win you will be looking forever. Even the best lose sometimes.

Only thing you should even be slightly worried about stock is a Turbo cat. There is always something faster out there but at some point its not fun to trailride. Obviously this is as fast as Yamaha offers. If you are looking for a guaranteed win you will be looking forever. Even the best lose sometimes.
Very true....the sidewinder should be a blast to ride...fun, no worries, fast. My modded mach z was very fast, near 180 dyno hp, yet a pain to drive...most two strokes modded are really no fun unless WOT. A real world example is my car guy friend/drag racer put a Kenne Bell supercharger on our mustang converible (02) and left it at 6 pounds, maybe 430 hp....any more, and it twists!!! He put the Roush on his 2011, and all the race stuff...tranny, etc, but very streetable, and driveable, and about 730 hp....guess which car was more fun day to day? Yeah....but that 011 would FLY!!!!! lol

NO 2 stroke will run with a turbo sled period! I have been riding turbo cat since 2012 and i have not found any 2 stroke to run even close to me. The turbo sled will cruse at 100 mph down the trail easy and still have throttle left.

I'm not sure what to do a friend of mine and a snowmobile guru who thinkers with everything to mske power says the 800rr cats eat up the viper turbos in the fields but on the lakes the vipers get them and the catsband are a fraction of the price.
He has a 800 himself which I drove it pulls hard...
He also claims that he drove a rmk with a turbo which was unbelievably responsive fast and fun and he doesn't think the new sidewinder can compete.
He is going to order a new thundercat but is hesitant that it isn't going to stand up to the hype.
I myself want to order the new sidewinder but would be upset if my buddies 800 with a little work is faster and more responsive.
What 800 are we speaking of,I hope you are not talking about the 800 rr cat 2 smoke,if you are,most of them are dogs,and don't even run 110 gps or radar,you may find one modded out to hit 120 on ice,but that is a stretch for that twin,these sidewinders have already been running 122-123 on snow all stock,up in Canada and also in the USA some place,woody said to me yesterday when he was at the test drive at the runway that they had gps on that one to 123 gps,so he said,you can call him yourself and ask,he has his owne dealer ship here in topsome maine.

Hi cannondale what sled do you currently have?

Ya as long as the turbo cat is stock,it should not be any problem at all,most were pigs stock,mine was only stock for 12 miles,than TD had to be installed lol for it to be fun,but only fun till it started blowing stuff up,(belts,chain,gears,than motor) you know the kind of stuff the cat car motor was known for once modded.

My riding buddy's 16 800 Axys Switchback struggles to see 100+ MPH on the gun (dream meter reading about 110). From a dig my well set up, Viper would hang with it until about 70 Mph, than he would start to walk away as i ran out of clutch. He wrote off his 15 switchback and it was substantially quicker than his 16 running identical setups. So i'm gonna be smiling next season at lake crossings as i should be able to crush all my mates.

My riding buddy's 16 800 Axys Switchback struggles to see 100+ MPH on the gun (dream meter reading about 110). From a dig my well set up, Viper would hang with it until about 70 Mph, than he would start to walk away as i ran out of clutch. He wrote off his 15 switchback and it was substantially quicker than his 16 running identical setups. So i'm gonna be smiling next season at lake crossings as i should be able to crush all my mates.
Even though my boosted cat was not even in the same zip code as a 2 smoke poo,cat,or doo,any years or models,all these sleds even at 160 hp are no match for 121 ft/lb of torque and 200 hp sleds no matter the weight,did not matter if it was out of a corner,rough trails,from a stop,or not even close at a roll on.

You will be smiling so hard we will see it thru a dark helmet,the head will be swollen up,and red...lol

Dyno Jim is guessing that the Yammy Turbo is good for 275-300 on Pump gas vs the Suzuki maxing out at 250 on pump.

According to Jim the higher RPM's and smaller cylinders of the Yammy mean less Deto and more capability for boost - it made 204 HP with 70f air at only 10 lbs of boost....

Back