• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Whats your favorite skis and why??

I like simmon and next year will take them off my 1m and put them on the attak if I keep it.

if you dont like simmons understeer...add shaper bars and you'll be surprised!

sj said:

Hi what you mean by a shaper bars. I am from Canada Can I find those things.

I like the Simmons skis they turn very good. The steering is harder but what I don't like is darting on hard pack

Thanks

Bull :ORC

shapers are made by stud boy....they carve but will increase your turning effort

if you have heavy steering or darting...back off on the transfer rod and the front springs...

make sure you are toed out..

well since i have posted to this thread, i have to say i have found a ski that for trail riding is outstanding.

first, i tried the curves this winter, great flotation, grip in a corner was ok, carbide is exposed like on a c+a so in crust you can feel the ski get pulled around, also very dangerous at rail crossings, bridges and loading on trailer. the company gave me my money back, they were great to deal with.

the best i have tried so far have to be kimpex arrows. they are designed like the old usi 401 that were never produced. they have two keels about 2in appart, very deep. they track perfect shimmed either front or back.
they dont have the wandering problem that the simmons have because of the carbides being so far appart. they also dont have the problem that simmons do with narrowing up the sled when going into a corner as the carbides are closer to the center.
they also look good.
they have one drawback, they are 5.5 wide so they are a trail ski only.
hopefully they make a mountain version or at least add 1in to these skis.

for trail i have they are the best so far, they turn easy too, rocker bottom.

my second choice now are my simmons, with skidoo style carbides centered under the pivot for easy steering.

Attachments

• CIMG0315.JPG
    CIMG0315.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 130
BETHEVIPER said:
well since i have posted to this thread, i have to say i have found a ski that for trail riding is outstanding.

first, i tried the curves this winter, great flotation, grip in a corner was ok, carbide is exposed like on a c+a so in crust you can feel the ski get pulled around, also very dangerous at rail crossings, bridges and loading on trailer. the company gave me my money back, they were great to deal with.

the best i have tried so far have to be kimpex arrows. they are designed like the old usi 401 that were never produced. they have two keels about 2in appart, very deep. they track perfect shimmed either front or back.
they dont have the wandering problem that the simmons have because of the carbides being so far appart. they also dont have the problem that simmons do with narrowing up the sled when going into a corner as the carbides are closer to the center. they also look good.
they have one drawback, they are 5.5 wide so they are a trail ski only.
hopefully they make a mountain version or at least add 1in to these skis.

for trail i have they are the best so far, they turn easy too, rocker bottom.

my second choice now are my simmons, with skidoo style carbides centered under the pivot for easy steering.

what are you saying....it's not clear?

BETHEVIPER said:

Could you elaborate more on the curve ski?

Everything I've read about them so far has been extremely positive, yet you've tried them, tried many different skis and have them ranked significantly down in the list.

Did they push in the corners? (what does "corner OK" mean?)

Were they easy to turn the skis (steering effort)?

Did the carbide's snag at railway crossings? Why?

Even in deep snow most reviewers say they work surprisingly well considering the narrow width. What was your experience in deep snow with them?

I have heard lots of positive comments about the Arrows also. I've been debating either Arrow or Curve skis for next season. The Arrow's do look like a very functional design and with the double keel should do a good job at avoiding getting stuck in ruts from single keel skis. Most reviewers say that Curve skis do a very good job at not getting stuck in ruts from other skis too though.

bull said:
sj said:

Hi what you mean by a shaper bars. I am from Canada Can I find those things.

I like the Simmons skis they turn very good. The steering is harder but what I don't like is darting on hard pack

Thanks

Bull :ORC
Hi Bull,i am from canada to,you can buy shaper bars from:www.royaldistributing.com

the darting on hardpack is imposible to remove as it is caused by the weight of your sled being shifted from one carbide to the other as the curve of the hard pack changes. imagine if all the weight is one one inside and the other outside it would make the ski want to turn that way. without all the carbides on the ground at once the design is flawed.
the turning easier thing has alot to do with where they put the carbide. it is centered behind the pivot and makes the sled want to go straight and resist turning. above is a picture of what i did to correct this problem and the skis turn alot easier and grab better with the deeper shaper bars.
these bars are for percision skis. i like them better because they tuck into the ski. not as perfect as i would like but much better than the stock design.

PILOTS,,,, hands down.. Only thing i would add is the 5.7s are too narrow for ANY off trailling... Probobly why i switched to 6.9s for next year..

These sleds are HEAVY and need a wide ski..

Ive tried Dualies, stock skis with 8in carbides, and shims.. But they stear very hard.. and still dart like mad when conditions freeze up

also...another simmons benefit...since you have carbide at 2.75" wider than a standard carbide location on each side...you have a footprint up to 5.5 inches wider of bite....acts like a wide kit...they are very predictable and to me give a stable feeling..

simmons are not wider when you need them, they narrow up the sled 5inches in a corner as they shift the weight from the outside to the inside carbide. this gives the effect of narrowing the sled by 5in compared to a standard center carbide ski.
this effect lessens as the snow gets deaper and the outside of the ski can push down on something.

this effect is very minimal on an arrow ski because the offset is less.

4602-0031.jpg

46020031a.jpg

Back