• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Who has went from Ski-doo to Yamaha and what was your reason

Hi Guys, new to the site and I am also looking very hard at the Nitro RTX. I spoke with unpride a little asking how he liked his and then met up with a rider in Petersfield Manitoba who directed me to this site. Anyway I am doing as much educating as I can and the biggest challenge I am having deciding is the gas tank size and what sounds like alot of set up work. I never went through this with any of my skidoo's at all so this will no doubt be a learning curve. I too want durability and if I am going to drop another 10,000 bucks I am thinking longer term would be smarter. This Nitro is absolutley a HOT machine and 4 stroke is our future. Sounds like performance is great and I am going for a test ride on Friday to feel one for myself. I will keep reading and learning, you guy's on this site are very helpfull which is a nice change. All sleds these days are pretty nice so being able to speak openly and freely is fantastic. My curent ride is an 06 600 HO SDI and I really have no complaints I just think I am in need of a change and this Yamaha sled has simply turned my head in all the right ways. Thanks for all the info and if you have anything to add to further smooth my set up worries it would be much appreciated! :Rockon:

Yeah, we are all learning how best to tune the ride and handling on the new Nytro and there is really no secret hot set-up since there are just too many variables. Rider weight, rider skill, aggressive rider, local trails, snow conditions, etc., etc., on and on.

However, there was a thread about adding adjustable couple blocks to your rear skid and I'd recommend reading about it.

The motor is awesome and the suspension & handling issues can be worked out. Out of the box the standard Nytro is a bit of a handful and I think requires more tuning than the RTX. On both sleds fuel range is a real issue unless you don't care about that and are happy with your 2-stroke range. Thing is, after getting used to a 4-stroke with a 10 gal tank on my Vector, getting anything less than 130 miles per tank is simply unacceptable to me. If I'm already okay with putting up with the extra weight, give me the range dammit!

Nytro all the way

My doo experience is was ok i guess..... in 2006 i purchase a brand new 800x and i loved the sled until i hit a rock ooop should i say bould at about 85 ... needless to say it was time to look for a new one... well i then bought a 2004 race chassis with a 800 mod motor woohoo was fun.... then reliablity became an issue as u could guess .... so i put stock box and stock motor and oil injection in.... well the reason i switched is that the DOO dealership in town SUCKS i feel the nytro is similar in ride the engine has a lot of low end pull i am happy with it must be good cause i have not had doo out this year

If your last sled was a 600 sdi, your not going to notice any differance in fuel mileage. My last ride out I rode with 3 REV 600 sdi's and we all took the same amount of gas at one of our stops. I've never owned a REV, but have ha some seat time on my buddies MXZ X 600 sdi. I can tell ya the power is in the new Nytro. My sled will pull all the way to 95 mph before it flattens out. My buddies REV just isn't any match to my Nytro. The durablity of the Nytro is all of that. I have 700 trouble free miles and the sled looks and acts great!!!! Aside from the hassle of setting up the suspension to get a better ride, its a awsome sled out of the box. Don't let that suspension set up scare you. We've been tinkering for some time with it, and have it all worked out. Do yourself a favor and buy the Nytro. Oh, BTW, They are currently 2 options for a bigger gas tank on the market.

I came off a 2004 doo 600 sdi that was a total lemon! Almost everything that could have gone wrong with it did, 6 new injectors, fuel pump broke clogging fuel line when heading into ramp(easily could have killed me if it happened a second later). Cracked boots, fouling plugs constantly, 2 driveshafts. It either ran flawless or suddenly not at all with no warning.

I can deal with the wear and tear probems but the motor issues are totally unacceptable. My sled spent almost every 2nd weekend since 04 at the dealer and sometimes took weeks for them to find the motor problems! I only get to ride on weekends and not having a sled for most of the year was the most frustrating thing ever.

Switched to yamaha for durability and the reliable 4 stroke powerplant. Chassis also has way better ergos then the rev, don't feel as cramped. Oddly enough the guy I sold my rev to blew the motor on his second ride...so long 2 stroke.

Funny you mention hittin ramps, there is no way I will be hittin my 8ft ramp on the nytro. Trail sleds are not ment to hit ramps! Will leave it to the 440 snopros.

you should ride one before you buy one, I went from a rev to nytro and now back on a rev, pre 08, just feels great to me.

RSD said:
you should ride one before you buy one, I went from a rev to nytro and now back on a rev, pre 08, just feels great to me.

The Nytro is just as capable in the big whoops and even better doesn't lock you in to one riding position like the old rev does. It is/was a great chassis but the Nytro surpasses it in quality and rideability.

I'm not going to disagree, It's not for everyone and I want to try and prevent someone else making the same mistake I made.

Nikolai said:
I switched because I got sick of too much lost riding time from wrenching. Not to mention the maintenance costs of a high performance 2-stroke. I wanted a reliable sled I could ride without having to do anything but add fuel. I've got 397 miles on my MTX and I'm 100% satisfied.

I second this post. I absolutely loved my REV and had a hard time getting away from it. But I missed the last 2 springs (Best time of year in AK to ride) because of expensive motor and crank issues. Yamaha is proven reliable. And now that I have put 400 miles on it in everything from steep and deep to flat lake riding I am absolutly sold. I have had 2 sponsored (THC & 2SCS) riders, die hard ski-doo guys hop on for a spin and both couldn't believe how much it felt like a REV. Considering I have the MTX and these guys ride 121s I was happy with their comments.
In short, make the move!

Thanks for the feedback guy's. There is alot of information regarding the suspension set up throughout this site. It should no doubt help me manage if I decide to make this move. I have read something about an after market tank being R&D but are there two already for sale? If so do you know who the dealers are that are selling them? Friday is set up and I am looking forward to taking one out for a boot. I mentioned the set up challenges to the dealer and he seems to be aware and said don't worry I will have this set up for you! The guy who went from a Rev to the Nitro and back to the Rev. What didn't you like about the Nitro? ;)!

For me without spending a ton of money it was impossible to set up soft enough yet it could easily bottom on small g-outs I just couldn't have fun riding it, and saw alot of suspension pivot points getting loose, to much ice build up in tunnel to tune suspension properly, wet foot, and actually started to hate the thing, even though the motor was awesome.

backstop said:
I have read something about an after market tank being R&D but are there two already for sale? If so do you know who the dealers are that are selling them?

I am aware of a Tour Buddy auxilliary tank and a 40 litre replacement tank. I called both manufacturers and have a Tour Buddy on order. I believe the 40 Litre replacement tank is still not available for sale as of yet. I expect there will be a demand for the 40 litre tank when it becomes available, and may even consider one in addition to my Tour Buddy.

I have previously owned a tour buddy for a previous sled and found it to be a good system. The fact that on the Nytro it is not under the hood means it will give you easier access than under the hood tour buddies, but it will affect the look of the sled. I have no problem with the look and perfer it to gas cans on a rack, especially since the Tour Buddy is self feeding.

As to going from a Rev to a Nytro, I can't help because my previous sled was a 2004 Switchback. What I can say is that I bought the sled based on the four stroke engine and the believe that the Nytro shaved enough weight for me to be content. I have the MTX and the sled performs and handles beyond any expectations I had. I'm very happy with my sled.

Good luck with your choice.

To set the sled up right it took me all of 20 minutes. Taking out the bolts on the limiters were the most time consuming thing. Set up is key and with all the info on this site made it so easy.

Hey Guy's a budy and I finally grabbed an oportunity to test drive the Nitro today. We both currently ride skidoo I know don't shoot us. We both really like the Nitro and were very impressed with the low end power. It felt very rev like in the trails although at slower speeds it seemed hard to steer. Overall a much stiffer ride then my rev although not crazy hard as some were saying on this site. Perhaps the crazy stiff ride is the RTX there was a guy waiting for the sled when we got back and when he returned that is all he could say. Yhe regular or GT Nitro was much better than the RTX ride wise. The springs were set pretty hard on the front and from what the dealer told us we have tuns of adjustment to soften it up. Out of the hole this sled was skis to the sky and at first this took us buy surprise. This sled will take some getting used to although we both are even more intrigued now that we have riden one. My buddy says this is his next machine when he can afford it. I am debating whether to make a move now or wait for 09 to see if any changes or updates come. I knew very little about 4 strokes before accessing this site and have gained alot of education from you guys, so thanks for all the info. This Nitro is one awsome sled!!! ;)!

sedz said:
I came off a 2004 doo 600 sdi that was a total lemon! Almost everything that could have gone wrong with it did, 6 new injectors, fuel pump broke clogging fuel line when heading into ramp(easily could have killed me if it happened a second later). Cracked boots, fouling plugs constantly, 2 driveshafts. It either ran flawless or suddenly not at all with no warning.

I can deal with the wear and tear probems but the motor issues are totally unacceptable. My sled spent almost every 2nd weekend since 04 at the dealer and sometimes took weeks for them to find the motor problems! I only get to ride on weekends and not having a sled for most of the year was the most frustrating thing ever.

Switched to yamaha for durability and the reliable 4 stroke powerplant. Chassis also has way better ergos then the rev, don't feel as cramped. Oddly enough the guy I sold my rev to blew the motor on his second ride...so long 2 stroke.

Funny you mention hittin ramps, there is no way I will be hittin my 8ft ramp on the nytro. Trail sleds are not ment to hit ramps! Will leave it to the 440 snopros.

Did you see the x-games last night?? Fella pulled a loop on the Nytro!

Back