• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT? FASTER THAN A TURBO CAT

Sasquatch said:
kviper said:
I guess you can see it any way you want, The number's seen on the Dyno reflect the PTO at 8,500 RPM and that is what the clutch uses. motor's make power at different RPM and i don't see how that is relevant. Cam it and tune it the same as the R-1 and you are not far from 200HP at near the same RPM.

Sigh! It was you that said you could not understand how and why a 1050cc motor does not make the same power as the Apex. All I tried to do was explain the difference. As the math is lost on you and you do not understand the relationship between torque and hp, I give up.

Nytro motor is a totally different motor, longer stroke, bigger boar and less cylinder's. Due to it's configuration it makes more torque at lower
RPM than an Apex.

Of course it does! But do you really understand why?
Yes I understand Torque and HP and it's relationship very well! Point here is The Turbo cat is there flag ship high end sled and the Apex is Yamaha's, not the Nytro! So if you ned to compare a turbo cat to a Yamah it sure would not be a Nytro and should not even be an Apex. You are the one that brought up the RPM thing that makes no sense at all and has no relationship at all to what it should be classed with. You keep twisting thing's to cover up your own misunderstanding?

So MR RPM tell Me why an R-1 can make near 200HP at near the same RPM as an Apex.

What if Cat really spelled Dog?

Outside looking in not picking sides, Cat talks about being the biggest and baddest bar none. There not.
RPMs can be talked about with diesels too bottom line the Apex did outstanding job in a stacked fight.

Kviper, I agree with you, plus I own a 2011 Apex XTX. :Rockon:

Sasquatch said:
kviper said:
Sasquatch
If you Dynoed the Apex motor from the crank you would get a lower Torque number and higher HP number but that is not what the clutch is using. And the 11/12 Apex's are making low 150's for power not 160.

I have seen dyno results at 162! As the Apex motor was making 152 in 2006 and there has been cam changes, port changes, pipe changes and gear reducer changes I find it hard to believe after all that the hp has stayed the same!

So are you saying Yamaha has lied to us?

Here is one dyno test.

You are waaayyyyy behind on your fact's! The pre 11 Apex on any well calibrated Dyno makes 147-148. If you are going to dig up your info on the Internet you should know what you are looking at! That Dyno sheet was from a year ago on a preproduction sled and it was disclosed later that they (DynoTec) put a fuel controler on it because it was lean on top end and they figured the condition would be gone for production. The best I have seen or heard of from the new Apex is 154 and most are in the 151-152 range.

You go ahead and believe what ever you want. I know what the masses think.

Done wasting space on this as it is only going in circles!

kviper said:
Yes I understand Torque and HP and it's relationship very well! Point here is The Turbo cat is there flag ship high end sled and the Apex is Yamaha's, not the Nytro! So if you ned to compare a turbo cat to a Yamah it sure would not be a Nytro and should not even be an Apex. You are the one that brought up the RPM thing that makes no sense at all and has no relationship at all to what it should be classed with. You keep twisting thing's to cover up your own misunderstanding?

So MR RPM tell Me why an R-1 can make near 200HP at near the same RPM as an Apex.

LOL! You stated that the other brands could not make the horsepower the Apex does from an even larger cc displacement. I explained why this was. Because your grasp on what a gear reducer does to hp is wrong and you believe that the Apex makes more hp at the crank then it does at the pto then anymore answers or explaination is futile till you realize your wrong.

Sasquatch
If you Dynoed the Apex motor from the crank you would get a lower Torque number and higher HP number but that is not what the clutch is using. And the 11/12 Apex's are making low 150's for power not 160.

You are the one that brought up the RPM thing that makes no sense at all

These are your words!

Now on to the R1 question. You chastise me for bringing up a Nytro which is at least a sled and now throw a Motorcycle into the equation. I answer with a question Why does my 383 magnum make 335hp at a even lower rpm then both the Apex and Nytro.

As this thread has turned to name calling I think it is time to agree to disagree!

kviper said:
You are waaayyyyy behind on your fact's! The pre 11 Apex on any well calibrated Dyno makes 147-148. If you are going to dig up your info on the Internet you should know what you are looking at! That Dyno sheet was from a year ago on a preproduction sled and it was disclosed later that they (DynoTec) put a fuel controler on it because it was lean on top end and they figured the condition would be gone for production. The best I have seen or heard of from the new Apex is 154 and most are in the 151-152 range.

You go ahead and believe what ever you want. I know what the masses think.

Done wasting space on this as it is only going in circles!

Ahhh so then the 11/12 Apex makes no more hp then the 06 Apex and hardly any more then my old RX. Seems a shame! I dug that dyno sheet up off my hard drive, I did however look around on the internet and found a you tube clip showing 151hp. Not much else!

If it makes you feel better I'll say I was wrong then the Apex makes less hp then they claimed in 2011! They lied to us!]

And Sled dog this is my last post on this because it is turning into a name calling thread and I'm not stooping to that level!

Welll !!!!!! I'll wade in the pool a little bit

"They" I assume you mean Yamaha did not actually lie to us as what they did was publish Dynotech's #'s after some of the Mags made a big deal about the 162 HP Apex.

The mags did not do their homework it turns out. [or at least tell the whole story]

I believe Woody did a little work on a Pre Production sled which included a fuel controller for more fuel, short Stacks and maybe an airbox mod and took it to Dynotech for a test.

When it came to Dynoing brand new sleds at the shootout, the Apex and the Doo both came in around 11 hp less than originally shown on the chart.
Hmmmmmm.

Since a new Apex only makes high 9,000's rpm when new and they seem to take a couple thousand miles to break in on Synthetic oil , I'm pretty sure they are a few hp more than 151 when broken in.

Non issue, all sleds make more hp when broken in, and as stated in article all sleds had over 300 miles.

seat of your pants, new apex feels way more powerfull than an older one. Dad had an 07 attak and now a 2012 se and the se runs like a raped ape! I havent had any seat time on a 1100 turbo so i cant compare those 2. the 2012 se did destroy(at least 5 sled lengths) both a 2012 f8 and a 2012 800 e-tech (both had over 2000 mi on them so they were broke in) in about a 1/4 mile race 2 weekends ago, i was very impressed with its power.

japex said:
Non issue, all sleds make more hp when broken in, and as stated in article all sleds had over 300 miles.

Takes an Apex about 1000, to 1500 miles to fully loosen up. At least it did for mine. Couldn't get the RPM's to 10,600 or above until after 1000.

LJ 452 said:
japex said:

Takes an Apex about 1000, to 1500 miles to fully loosen up. At least it did for mine. Couldn't get the RPM's to 10,600 or above until after 1000.

On my M8 it took the time from when I start to push the throttle to it hit the bar to deliver full power.

A bit friendly bashing but you are meaning that the gas I put in the machine for the first 1500 miles are just a waste. Would never accept that on my sled.

It's a motor that is designed to go 50,000+ miles. Yes it takes a little time to break in, and won't run to its FULL potential till more miles, but will run well none the less. Not like flipping a switch, like a break in mode set by the computer or something.

rindtj said:
It's a motor that is designed to go 50,000+ miles. Yes it takes a little time to break in, and won't run to its FULL potential till more miles, but will run well none the less. Not like flipping a switch, like a break in mode set by the computer or something.

:)

Back