• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT? FASTER THAN A TURBO CAT

kviper said:
LOL, And on the Cat (already running 12PSI on a bigger displacement motor) you would have to turn up the boost even farther to stay ahead of the NA 998 Yamaha! Still LOL! Some earlier in the post were pointing out the Cat being quicker and some of the rest of us pointing out the track difference and it's effect's. I guess if you don't like talking snowmobiles and fair comparison's you shouldn't get involved. The Cat is a Dog in comparison! Some think Cat has ground breaking tec here. Power adder's have been around for a long long time and they race in there own class so I would not be bragging about how a Turbo Cat runs against an Apex. Another interesting thing will be when these Cat's running higher boost start to get 10, 20K on then. We will see! Where I live the snow is gone! Why not talk sled's?

Cat is a DOG??? Put down the blue kool aid. So, a engine package and chassis that been around for 7 years and is the most refined chassis on snow should run the best it can and squeeze every ounce out on the track, they have had 7 years to get it perfect. Give this Cat and this chassis a few years and see what happens. There are several long time TY'ers that have gone to a turbo Cat and have nothing bet great things to say about them. I will admit they need some adjustment and some proper setup out of the box, (again new vs. 7 years) but they are FAST and your lying to yourself if you think they are not.

My sled has gone 5.80 @ 117 in 660' with out touching the motor or turbo, programing, clutching, and exhaust only. ($2000)

I think the overall thought is an Apex shouldn't be running with any sled running 12lb. of boost. To see it run right with and even pull more top end is worth bragging about. You can go from there on a bunch of internet racing, but the fact is they are all close and the Cat is not impressive out of the box for what it is running. Anyone know why they get such little horsepower out of the 12lb's of boost?

exactly. watched a buddy of mine with his tuned stock clutching nytro have his skis on the #*$&@ end of a turbo cat the whole race. Now if that doesnt make the cat owner cry I dont know what will. He was back at the dealership next day getting "parts" lol.

stopdropanroll said:
kviper said:
OK! The XTX was .22sec behind at 60MPH
.22sec at 660'
.23sec at 1,000' Apex +.12 MPH
.15sec at 1,320'/ 1/4mi Apex +1.34 MPH

Top speed Apex by2.38 MPH, Almost walking speed= going BY!
So what this mean's is the Apex was only short 0 to 60MPH hung steady and by 1,000' the Apex was reeling the cat in. If some one goes by you at walking speed you will feel that you got your a$$ handed to you!

Also did the ice ripper have conventional stud's? Reason i ask is if not the rest could well have had a traction advantage as the rest were all studded with conventional stud's.

I have said it before and i will say it again! For an 1,100 at 12LB boost i am not impressed! The only thing making them fast is the ease of adding boost.

The XF had a 1.5" track, no studs from what I read. Install a 1.5 on that Apex and compare.

And stick 12lbs of boost on the Apex and then compare.

dilligaf said:
And stick 12lbs of boost on the Apex and then compare.

Sure! Pull the motor put in stronger rods, low comp pistons, stronger head bolts, power comander, and your ready to roll. You will win but you will have spent over 7,000 dollars.

Cat put a turbo on from the factory. Yami didn't!

nailsandrails said:
I think the overall thought is an Apex shouldn't be running with any sled running 12lb. of boost. To see it run right with and even pull more top end is worth bragging about. You can go from there on a bunch of internet racing, but the fact is they are all close and the Cat is not impressive out of the box for what it is running. Anyone know why they get such little horsepower out of the 12lb's of boost?

My thoughts are that I have noticed with Cat since the Thundercat days and listening to buddies that rode them and conversed with Cat after the 99 T-Cats came out. Cat could not understand the obsession with speed. Seems like no matter how much hp the top end was almost the same. Still that way today.

Cat geared and clutched for just over 100mph and that was that. Guys played with them and got them slowly back up to the 98 level. I think that sleds today could be much faster but we do all realize that tracks are only rated to 120mph (correct me if I'm wrong). I sometimes wonder if manufactures are worried about liability and try to build a slower sled. You squeeze more out if you want.

Secondly however by 2001 Cat had the 1000 T-Cat performing quite well out of the box so maybe it just takes time like the Yami which has been refined for 7 years.

With 12 pounds of boost and only 180hp I think that underhood temps and a too warm of intake temperature is mostly the culprit. Plus I wonder if they pumped up the pressure to reduce turbo lag?

Just as a note the rpm from the na 1056cc motor has dropped from 8,500 to 7,850rpm. If left climbing to 8,500 the hp would be closer to 190 I think. Unless cramming more air makes more heat so stop at 7,850. To boost the sled further meth injection is used which cools the intake charge and slows the burn. Its the flat torque band that is so impressive in the motor. Its making 100ftpds at clutch engagement. Is this the higher boost at lower rpms at work?

I like my Yami and want a new Apex but this does not mean I don't pay attention to the other sleds out there. This Cat has my attention! I'm happy the Apex on this day squeezed 2 more mph out of a sled with less hp but I'm not going to forget that the Cat was ahead all the way to the 2,000 ft mark. I think the Cat has a lot of potential and have seen first hand what it can do!

I think that we are grasping at a little tidbit thrown out by a magazine just to hear something good about the brand we ride when so many are crapping on it. I'm so tired of the your Yami is so heavy B.S.

2007 warrior with mcx270 ,drove 8000km with only decomp on headgasket.no prob.do really someone think you can calculate the hp at a set point of boost???

Sasquatch
Sorry if I offended you and I will try to be more sensitive in the future however you laughed at my post first (LOL). My post in regards to clutching, gearing and set up was in regards to the post referring to the Apex as never being quick, not how the comparison should have been performed. It was posted earlier in regards to the speed's in the comparison that, Quote (put the 1.5 track on the Apex and see what you get). If that was the case the ET would likely been better on the Yamaha than it was. If you look at the times the Apex ET was down at the 60MPH mark and did not loose anything after and was starting to gain by 1,000'. Hard condition's and the Apex would have ETed much better in comparison and it would have been light's out on top end.

I don't follow your comment about RPM the Apex run's and not being a fair comparison? There has never been a sled classification based on RPM,
PERIOD! Apex power is measured from the PTO, Aprox 8,500 RPM. A CVT
transmission only knows RPM and torque load and the RPM an Apex clutch spin's
is in the ball park of anything else. The 1,100 Cat is a twin so that means longer stroke and or bigger boar, and GENERALLY lower RPM for many reason's. Nearly the same displacement just different form. But if this bothers you than compare a Nytro to the 1,100 NA. Both the Nytro and Vector eat it for lunch.

I really don't care what some specific Cat did to a specific Yamaha on a given day. A friend has a couple Turbo RX-1's, we have run a best of 147 660' at 4.7, very close to a world record for OEM chasis and may even be one for all I know. (opposit end of the spectrum)

The thing I like about the shoot out is you hardly ever run into a new Cat that isn't jacked. Why is that?

The Cat has a power adder and will not be run in the same class as an Apex at any sanctioned event.

MCX on Apex at 5PSI, no head stud's, no head gasket, on pump fuel. You will need big boost, race fuel (not available on trail) or Met for the Cat to keep up.

And the way it looks you will need to spend $1,000- $1,500? for a High
Jacker + clutching to beat a good running Apex.

In comparison a Dog!

Perhaps a better conversation would be why do the new Cat's do such a poor job of transferring power? 25 more HP and much lighter IN STOCK FORM and not enough faster to say so.

kviper said:
Perhaps a better conversation would be why do the new Cat's do such a poor job of transferring power? 25 more HP and much lighter IN STOCK FORM and not enough faster to say so.

That's what I wonder. Maybe if they were running a couple pounds of boost, but 12 is a lot to be struggling to keep up with anything not boosted. It shouldn't be much of a race, yet it is. To me it is more the disappointment of the cat rather than the impressive run by the Apex.

kviper said:
Sasquatch
Sorry if I offended you and I will try to be more sensitive in the future however you laughed at my post first (LOL). My post in regards to clutching, gearing and set up was in regards to the post referring to the Apex as never being quick, not how the comparison should have been performed. It was posted earlier in regards to the speed's in the comparison that, Quote (put the 1.5 track on the Apex and see what you get). If that was the case the ET would likely been better on the Yamaha than it was. If you look at the times the Apex ET was down at the 60MPH mark and did not loose anything after and was starting to gain by 1,000'. Hard condition's and the Apex would have ETed much better in comparison and it would have been light's out on top end.

I don't follow your comment about RPM the Apex run's and not being a fair comparison? There has never been a sled classification based on RPM,
PERIOD! Apex power is measured from the PTO, Aprox 8,500 RPM. A CVT
transmission only knows RPM and torque load and the RPM an Apex clutch spin's
is in the ball park of anything else. The 1,100 Cat is a twin so that means longer stroke and or bigger boar, and GENERALLY lower RPM for many reason's. Nearly the same displacement just different form. But if this bothers you than compare a Nytro to the 1,100 NA. Both the Nytro and Vector eat it for lunch.

I really don't care what some specific Cat did to a specific Yamaha on a given day. A friend has a couple Turbo RX-1's, we have run a best of 147 660' at 4.7, very close to a world record for OEM chasis and may even be one for all I know. (opposit end of the spectrum)

The thing I like about the shoot out is you hardly ever run into a new Cat that isn't jacked. Why is that?

The Cat has a power adder and will not be run in the same class as an Apex at any sanctioned event.

MCX on Apex at 5PSI, no head stud's, no head gasket, on pump fuel. You will need big boost, race fuel (not available on trail) or Met for the Cat to keep up.

And the way it looks you will need to spend $1,000- $1,500? for a High
Jacker + clutching to beat a good running Apex.

In comparison a Dog!

Hey I am a Sled Dog! But I dont pee yellow only blue! LMAO :jump:

Vector 130+HP stock, Turboed at 12PSI=about 250 HP! 5 or 6 PSI would put it at the same HP as Cat and we know what chasis puts more power to the snow. On a Yamaha each LB of boost gets you roughly another 10HP, slightly less with a supercharger. Apparently the Cat motor is not as efficient.

kviper said:
Vector 130+HP stock, Turboed at 12PSI=about 250 HP! 5 or 6 PSI would put it at the same HP as Cat and we know what chasis puts more power to the snow. On a Yamaha each LB of boost gets you roughly another 10HP, slightly less with a supercharger. Apparently the Cat motor is not as efficient.

Yeah, I'm not getting that.
1100 cc sled 12 lb Turbo boost shud B 120 HP extra.
N A Cat makes 120 ish doesn't it? Not 57 hp.
Something not adding up.
You sure they are 12 lbs from the factory not 5 lbs or so?

As far as the article goes, I liked it. Real world stuff. The OSM one was good as well in January.

At the end of the day, this article and my real world riding tells me my "Tank" as my 2 stroke friends call it, will stay with or beat everyone elses hot 800 in a much lighter package in a race over 660 feet.[ Personally so far, it is beat[

Priceless !!!!!!

Some :4STroke:

Back