• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT? FASTER THAN A TURBO CAT

welterracer said:
Pretty sure the apex ISNT going to hang with a sled that has 30 more HP on the top end..... Just sayin..
Bad binding clutches, and substandard drivetrain will absorb alot of hp. Seems to be the case this year.

Comparison is cool because its real world- and set up the way most people who ride these sleds would have them setup. Those two sleds on that day were pretty much even IMO. Ya you could put the 1.5 inch track on the Apex and it would lose some top speed, you could also put a 1.25 track on the 1100T and see those ET's slow down a bit. Its all give and take, but on a loose track a 1.5 definitely has an advantage. Regardless the Apex broken in is probably like 155 HP, the turbo all of 177. Yam just knows how to make that engine work in a sled and has the drivetrain figured out.

Don't forget how light the Apex was! 10 Lbs less than they list, now that is some good marketing. :drink:

All kidding aside, so the turbo is 60 lbs lighter- you ride with a quarter tank, have your buddy ride with a full tank and see if your sled handles better than his, still probably won't? In extreme rough trail situations- yes I think weight plays a role, but in normal trail riding I honestly don't think it does that much. Yamaha's issues are linked more with chassis design than weight IMO.

rindtj said:
Comparison is cool because its real world- and set up the way most people who ride these sleds would have them setup. Those two sleds on that day were pretty much even IMO. Ya you could put the 1.5 inch track on the Apex and it would lose some top speed, you could also put a 1.25 track on the 1100T and see those ET's slow down a bit. Its all give and take, but on a loose track a 1.5 definitely has an advantage. Regardless the Apex broken in is probably like 155 HP, the turbo all of 177. Yam just knows how to make that engine work in a sled and has the drivetrain figured out.

Don't forget how light the Apex was! 10 Lbs less than they list, now that is some good marketing. :drink:

All kidding aside, so the turbo is 60 lbs lighter- you ride with a quarter tank, have your buddy ride with a full tank and see if your sled handles better than his, still probably won't? In extreme rough trail situations- yes I think weight plays a role, but in normal trail riding I honestly don't think it does that much. Yamaha's issues are linked more with chassis design than weight IMO.
Agree and power steering just made the "chassis design" feel better.

rindtj said:

Agree and power steering just made the "chassis design" feel better.

Why do I never see entry level sleds in these tests, I have yet to see numbers for a Phazer, Snopro 500, or any of the fan cooled sleds. I know my Phazer beats up on a buddies 12' sno-pro for at least 1000' and crawls by me around the 1/4 mark. Apex was never an acceleration king, but man they fly up top!

blueironranger said:
Why do I never see entry level sleds in these tests, I have yet to see numbers for a Phazer, Snopro 500, or any of the fan cooled sleds. I know my Phazer beats up on a buddies 12' sno-pro for at least 1000' and crawls by me around the 1/4 mark. Apex was never an acceleration king, but man they fly up top!
Never an acceleration king? Where was that decided? Give the Apex the traction the Cat had with the extra track and it will run with or ahead of the best. Yamaha sets there sled's up middle of the road from end to end, clutching,gearing, suspendtion, ETC. It's up to you to set it up for what you want. A few of the right adjustment's and my 12 comes out of the hole with or ahead of anything I have come across and it's a 128".

agreed KVIPER..... My apex is a rocket 0-85 there are few sleds that can hang with me or beat me.. and if they do, they arnt stock

welterracer said:
agreed KVIPER..... My apex is a rocket 0-85 there are few sleds that can hang with me or beat me.. and if they do, they arnt stock

I was just going by the ones I've ridden with. Usually the stronger 800's in the group, or my SRX700 I use to have, could hold them until 90+mph then the APEX would slowly over take all of us and start walking away. Granted I haven't ridden with an EXUP Apex yet and I took a major down graded in HP when I bought my phazer.

Set up and a few minor changes are needed for the Apex to use it's power out of the hole and midrange! Yamaha wants smooth clutching, good gas milage, ski's on the ground ETC. With that you get non aggressive clutching with sluggish back shift, gearing that is usually to tall and not much weight transfer. If you want to drag race that is prety much opposite. And traction is critical with four stroke power (Torque at clutch engagement).

kviper said:
Set up and a few minor changes are needed for the Apex to use it's power out of the hole and midrange! Yamaha wants smooth clutching, good gas milage, ski's on the ground ETC. With that you get non aggressive clutching with sluggish back shift, gearing that is usually to tall and not much weight transfer. If you want to drag race that is prety much opposite. And traction is critical with four stroke power (Torque at clutch engagement).

LOL! And with the Cat all you need is to crank up the boost a bit set up the clutching and gearing = top speed demon! Why does this sound like it should be in the head to head forum?

So much fuss because on one day, with one set of conditions, in one mag, with two sleds not set up the same one was quicker and the other faster!

A different day, another set of conditions, different mag, two sleds not set up the same and different results. Then we will name the thread Yami quicker then a turbo Cat. Follow that by well if the Yami was set up differently is would have been faster.

We all know the Apex is fast on top its been proven many times. Nice to see a mag state the fact!

LOL, And on the Cat (already running 12PSI on a bigger displacement motor) you would have to turn up the boost even farther to stay ahead of the NA 998 Yamaha! Still LOL! Some earlier in the post were pointing out the Cat being quicker and some of the rest of us pointing out the track difference and it's effect's. I guess if you don't like talking snowmobiles and fair comparison's you shouldn't get involved. The Cat is a Dog in comparison! Some think Cat has ground breaking tec here. Power adder's have been around for a long long time and they race in there own class so I would not be bragging about how a Turbo Cat runs against an Apex. Another interesting thing will be when these Cat's running higher boost start to get 10, 20K on then. We will see! Where I live the snow is gone! Why not talk sled's?

kviper said:
LOL, And on the Cat (already running 12PSI on a bigger displacement motor) you would have to turn up the boost even farther to stay ahead of the NA 998 Yamaha!

A bigger displacement motor is to keep the motor at or about 8,000 to 8,500rpm. Kind of like the Nytro. Bigger displacement less hp. The Apex spins 11,000rpm with a gear reducer the Nytro or Cat Or Doo spin clutch speed. To get more power they add displacement. Plus the Cat stayed ahead of the Yami for 1320ft and as the Yami was only going 2mph faster the Cat is still ahead at 2,000ft. Seems to me the Cat was ahead for the whole race and then some!

Cranking the boost up was because you wanted to change the clutching, gearing ect. So the Cat cranks the boost seemed fair to me.

I guess if you don't like talking snowmobiles and fair comparison's you shouldn't get involved.

A shot at me I guess, seems to be telling me to go away! But I love fair comparision's. Let me know when they start.

If the Nytro was 998 it makes what hp? Long ways from the Apex!

Now to make 300hp from the Cat we add 24 pds boost to make 300 from the Yami we add 16 pds boost. The Cat costs about or under 2,000 bucks to achieve this and you don't have to pull the motor apart, the Yami costs about 7,000 bucks and it needs stronger rods and lower compression pistons. Stronger head bolts are a must as well to keep the heads sealed.

As I have yet to see a 300hp Yami with 20,000 miles at that hp level on it I don't know why Cat is even spoken about in this way or is that the fair comparison your talking about! LOL!

The Cat is a Dog in comparison!

Really! It ate the Yami all the way to 2,000ft but the Yami goes 2mph faster! Oh wait your argument is properly set up the Apex would smoke the Cat all the way. This is of course without a properly set up Cat. Fair comparison thing again right.

Look you don't like the Cat because its boosted and the Apex is not. Your call but the Cat is not a dog. I was at Pinawa channel and watched two turboed Yamis getting thier pee pee's spanked by a Turbo Cat! Only a couple mph but thats enough right?

There are a ton of Yami guys that wish Yami would build a turbo sled for the mass's. You see the role call every year on TY. Cat beat them too it! Good for Cat!

Where I live the snow is gone! Why not talk sled's?

With another day of way above freezing temps both day and night and no cold weather anywhere in the forecast talking sleds is all thats left I'm afraid!

My only point was and is this thread has turned into a bench race thread. Head to head just seems more fitting.

I don't see anything in the test results that needs to be debated. They laid out the HP's, Weights, ET's and Speeds. Diffferent days and conditions and who knows what else could produce a different outcome 7 days in a row. All these results tell me is all the sleds are very close.

Back