• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Winder top gear bushing

About six to ten years ago I think there were some gear issues on high HP machines. Many people bought Scott Taylor gears and perhaps some others. I think in 2015 or 2016, Borg Warner gears started appearing on Cats and assume on Winders as well. Outside of the bushing wear, I had need seem problems with those. I run about 300HP on my 1100 and the gears have not been an issue. Others may have a different experience or opinion.

About six to ten years ago I think there were some gear issues on high HP machines. Many people bought Scott Taylor gears and perhaps some others. I think in 2015 or 2016, Borg Warner gears started appearing on Cats and assume on Winders as well. Outside of the bushing wear, I had need seem problems with those. I run about 300HP on my 1100 and the gears have not been an issue. Others may have a different experience or opinion.
Just had a stock 2012 non-turbo 1100 come through the shop. Top bushing was done for. 9000kms

Skip a meal at bar. Your paying for the idea and piece of mind. Its worth it to me knowing for sure I dont have to even think about chaincase even if I have a real big mile year of over 5000mi.
I agree, don’t even have to skip a meal. Just a better then stock fix for sure.

My original 21T was changed out with a 22T at 1400 miles, and it had lots of copper color showing and was loose compared to the new 22T. Weird thing is, the stock type 22T gear bushings last twice as long as the smaller 21T bushing.

I only do 1500-2000 miles per year, but yes peace of mind is why I perform all of the pre season and in season maintenance. Just hate to be that guy. Know what I mean?

I agree, don’t even have to skip a meal. Just a better then stock fix for sure.

My original 21T was changed out with a 22T at 1400 miles, and it had lots of copper color showing and was loose compared to the new 22T. Weird thing is, the stock type 22T gear bushings last twice as long as the smaller 21T bushing.

I only do 1500-2000 miles per year, but yes peace of mind is why I perform all of the pre season and in season maintenance. Just hate to be that guy. Know what I mean?
What do you mean by the 'smaller 21T bushing'?

Why yamacat has not gone to a better quality bushing is beyond me. We’ve been using a different bushing for 3 years now and not a single failure.

I'm no engineer by any means but this whole Cat chain case seems to be overly complicated and generally not the best design. With the chain tensioner roller bolts backing out if not spot welded, the 2 sets of chains and multiple gears and the infamous top gear bushing and shaft wear, I would think and Yamaha both could design a less busy setup and still retain the electric reverse actuator.

I have been installing a ToughMet3 bushing (bronze-nickel alloy) and it has been working well but I just found out that they are going to discontinue the size that is needed (or maybe the line all together). It likely doesn't get sold a lot. A local machinist told me that they made bushings out of the same material and that in this application, it will likely never wear out. Another member here measured the wear on one after 2000 miles of use to be 0.0005" (I think it was a tuned sled). That's nothing for wear.

Reactions: SPM
Hello guys.

We have hundreds of our DMC HD top gears with 10,000 plus miles and on noticeable wear.

We also offer our DMC Brass shift fork pads to replace the stock plastic ones that are known to break and ruin a trip.

Attachments

• D953518F-DDCD-4CEC-A711-C0D05A54FDAC.jpeg
    D953518F-DDCD-4CEC-A711-C0D05A54FDAC.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 75
Also FYI when the top bushing wears enough. The jack shaft gets damaged and needs to be replaced.

We see this unfortunate issue more than we like.

It’s about a $700 repair.

Attachments

• 1DB0F2C2-CB78-4CED-BC25-C6E42267157D.jpeg
    1DB0F2C2-CB78-4CED-BC25-C6E42267157D.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 75
I would assume that there is a socket size that works well as the ram attachment to use for pressing the old bushing out and the new one in. Anyone have that socket size they can share? or if you don't use a socket, what do you use so you don't damage the ID of the gear or the new bushing?

i cant remember size but i just kept grabbing one till id didnt slip through bushing, the gear is realy hard you are not going to damage

I would assume that there is a socket size that works well as the ram attachment to use for pressing the old bushing out and the new one in. Anyone have that socket size they can share? or if you don't use a socket, what do you use so you don't damage the ID of the gear or the new bushing?
I just use the new bushing with my shop press to press out the old one and press in the new one all in one shot.

Back