• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha replaces 2017 APEX rear shock

The rider has to weigh about 400 lbs for the shock to work. It is valved for 250 lbs of air. any amount of air under 200, the rebound is way too stiff and the compression is just about as bad.
The shock that's on mine now is set at 250 i'm about 290 dressed and is stiff and you feel the bumps even with less air there isn't much difference with rebound and compression other than more sag

I am around 270 lbs with gear on and only rode about 20 kms with undate shock in place but had to much sag when i was out on test ride so will have to do more playing with the air pressure

I am around 270 lbs with gear on and only rode about 20 kms with undate shock in place but had to much sag when i was out on test ride so will have to do more playing with the air pressure
Thanks for the reply, please keep me updated if you don't mind, i'm hoping this upgraded shock will perform much better than the factory one when you get it dialed in. thanks

Can anyone give me some input on the shock replacement? I have had ride challenges being stiff on my 16 apex. I have noticed some people that have 16 apex that yamaha is replacing them for you. I called customer service and also my dealer called and yamaha told them that it applies to the 17 apex. What should I do going forward to get this stiff shock replaced on my 16 apex. I spring checked this sled and not out of warranty till dec 19. Thanks in advance

Well did a little more testing with replacement Shock seem to ride some what better but having trouble trying to get more air in the shock seem like I can not get more than 250 psi in the shock so I can not get the shock sag set right not be able to get over 250 psi any one got any idea why that would be

Well did a little more testing with replacement Shock seem to ride some what better but having trouble trying to get more air in the shock seem like I can not get more than 250 psi in the shock so I can not get the shock sag set right not be able to get over 250 psi any one got any idea why that would be
Did you get it figured out? I tried to find this replacement shock on line and can't seem to see it listed anywhere even at the Fox site, was looking for the settings chart for charging that upgraded shock.

Did 200kms today with the update shock it is riding better but still can't get airpresssure over 250psi. The updated shock came with some step up instruction will air pressure setting for rider weight and how much shock sag it sould have

Did 200kms today with the update shock it is riding better but still can't get airpresssure over 250psi. The updated shock came with some step up instruction will air pressure setting for rider weight and how much shock sag it sould have
what is the spec sheet saying the max air you can put in this shock? your saying that the pump will not push any more than 250 into the shock, was the shock on the sled when you started charging with the pump? some instruction vids I seen on fox floats they charged the shock to the max pressure before installing also putting them in a bucket of water to make sure they were not leaking then installed them at max pressure and then slowly released the pressure to suit the drivers weight and get the proper sag adjustment, maybe easier to charge them fully this way,

Can anyone give me some input on the shock replacement? I have had ride challenges being stiff on my 16 apex. I have noticed some people that have 16 apex that yamaha is replacing them for you. I called customer service and also my dealer called and yamaha told them that it applies to the 17 apex. What should I do going forward to get this stiff shock replaced on my 16 apex. I spring checked this sled and not out of warranty till dec 19. Thanks in advance
you should have no problem getting the updated shock for you single shot skid if it is a 2016, get your dealer to call his rep and get this shock for you, the 2016 and 2017 single shot skids are the same.

I hope this shock is an improvement. Thats if I can get my dealer to go through the steps to obtain one. If it is not much better I will have to step up and get an elka.

I hope this shock is an improvement. Thats if I can get my dealer to go through the steps to obtain one. If it is not much better I will have to step up and get an elka.
The Elka stage 4 looks like a nice shock replacement for the single shot

The sheet said it needed a min 200 psi before it weight was put on the shock when I put pump on the shock on the bench it had 230 psi in it out of the box so I just installed it as it was close to what in need for my weight. The max pressure is 300 psi same as factory air shock. The update shock instructions says for my weight the range is 230 to 280 psi at 250 psi I am get a little more sag then what spec say for the new shock. I had an elka stage 5 on order before I knew that this update shock was coming out so it sould be here this week and we how it works !!!!!:sled1::sled1:

The sheet said it needed a min 200 psi before it weight was put on the shock when I put pump on the shock on the bench it had 230 psi in it out of the box so I just installed it as it was close to what in need for my weight. The max pressure is 300 psi same as factory air shock. The update shock instructions says for my weight the range is 230 to 280 psi at 250 psi I am get a little more sag then what spec say for the new shock. I had an elka stage 5 on order before I knew that this update shock was coming out so it sould be here this week and we how it works !!!!!:sled1::sled1:
To bad you couldn't get more then 250 in the shock, 280 probably would have been just about right, elka stage 5 is a nice shock good you have a chance to compare them, please keep us updated. thanks

you should have no problem getting the updated shock for you single shot skid if it is a 2016, get your dealer to call his rep and get this shock for you, the 2016 and 2017 single shot skids are the same.
I called and my dealer called and they said in the states its only for the 2017 apex. I know the skids are the same for the 16 and 17 but no one wants to help. What do I do next?? Keep calling customer service at yamaha???

It only for 2017 in Canada as well I think it depends alot on your dealer as am lucky to have a great dealer that was willing to help as well as they knew I wasn't happy with ride quality last year and in my case having had problems with 2 of the stock air shock made it an easy decision for there Yamaha rep to approve it. As my dealer told me 2016 will be looked at case by case so if you didnt say anything about not like the ride quality shortly after buying or (riding) the 2016 it may be a little harder sell to Yamaha and the only way I knew anything about this happening with 2017 was because of this site and then going and talk to my dealer :rocks::sled1::sled1:as I contacted customer service the same day I went to my dealer and they said nothing be done with a replacement shock then go to dealer talk to them with in 1 hr I get call back say they got it look after so like I said earlier this all depends on your dealer as Mine is great .

Back